The Student Room Group

AS maths help

hi,the teacher went over this question but i didnt really understand it:the shape shown in figure 1(a sector with a circle in the middle and 60 degrees as the angle at the the top of sector) is a pattern for a pendant. It consists of a sector OAB of a circle centre O,of a radius 6cm,and angle AOB=60 degrees.The circle C,inside the sector, touches the two straight edges,OA and OB,and the arc AB as shown.Find the radius of circle C.
Original post by Styles Queen
hi,the teacher went over this question but i didnt really understand it:the shape shown in figure 1(a sector with a circle in the middle and 60 degrees as the angle at the the top of sector) is a pattern for a pendant. It consists of a sector OAB of a circle centre O,of a radius 6cm,and angle AOB=60 degrees.The circle C,inside the sector, touches the two straight edges,OA and OB,and the arc AB as shown.Find the radius of circle C.

I suggest you drop a vertical from O, down to X say on the circumference. And I'd call the radius r.

What's the length of OX? And in terms of r? And take it from there.

For reference:

Untitled.jpg
Maths problem.PNG

Hope this makes sense! Feel free to ask any questions :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sandonmyhand

Please read the forum guidelines - sticky thread at the top of the forum - and don't post full solutions.
How do you know that one of the lengths is 6-r
Original post by sandonmyhand
Maths problem.PNG

How do you know one of the lengths is 6-r
Original post by Seekinganswers
How do you know one of the lengths is 6-r

OC+CX = OX

Plug in the values, and hence OC=....
Original post by ghostwalker
OC+CX = OX

Plug in the values, and hence OC=....