Debt collectors traced my address, if i don't pay, do i go prison?

Watch
Quiet Benin
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone heard of Wescot credit services. I had a paypal credit and i used it but never paid back full amounts. This was 3 years ago.

Today, i receive a call from wescot, they tell me they want the money. Fair enough, but i refused to give them an address as i now live with parents. They said if i don't provide an address soon, they will track me down.

Apparently they did track me down and sent letters to my house AFTER THE CALL. It means they had already done it a day after they called me. I'm ****ing angry, My dad asking me 'what is this'? and i had to make a lie. What should i do, i fill like calling and shouting abuse at them!
Last edited by Quiet Benin; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Pay them, what right do you think you have to avoid your creditors? (They wouldn't have cared what your address was if you'd payed the debt when they first contacted you)
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
DD Lonely
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
can't pay we take it away
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Expect some large dudes to turn up at your house and take some of your stuff away if you don’t pay.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Probably not prison.

The tv shows make out they will sell your debt to a legal loan shark who will get a high court rite & then seize assets to cover the debt.

If you can’t afford it, make them an offer or repayment plan.
Trinculo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It is not 1835.
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They are just doing their job. It's not their fault you didn't pay back your credit so don't get angry at them, get angry at yourself.
Last edited by black tea; 1 month ago
username4522078
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Debtors prisons stopped existing a long time ago, just call them and set up a payment plan.
Quiet Benin
Rep:
(Original post by ROTL94)
Debtors prisons stopped existing a long time ago, just call them and set up a payment plan.
this is what i did. I agreed i would pay it all back next year.

But they have broken the rule, probably found my address through some police government site or something and sent a letter to my house. That isn't on. I have no money to pay now to shut them up otherwise i wouldnt just given them all the money i owe. **** this
Quiet Benin
Rep:
(Original post by black tea)
They are just doing their job. It's not their fault you didn't pay back your credit so don't get angry at them, get angry at yourself.
Im angry they are sending it now to my address, that i have never ever stated. I do not want my parents knowing i had paypal credit when i was in university 3 years ago.
Quiet Benin
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
Pay them, what right do you think you have to avoid your creditors? (They wouldn't have cared what your address was if you'd payed the debt when they first contacted you)
arghhhhh. They should be ****ing patient. I refused to give them my address because i had given originally given them a work address that i no longer work at.
flamingolover
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Quiet Benin)

But they have broken the rule, probably found my address through some police government site or something and sent a letter to my house. That isn't on. I have no money to pay now to shut them up otherwise i wouldnt just given them all the money i owe. **** this
They normally track your address through use of cards, registered address for vehicles etc. They are allowed to use third parties companies to track you down. As far as i'm aware they did not break any rules.
flamingolover
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
arghhhhh. They should be ****ing patient. I refused to give them my address because i had given originally given them a work address that i no longer work at.
It's been three years since you go into debt. Have they not been patient enough? 3 years is a decent amount of time to get some money together. How much do you even owe?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Because 3 years wasn’t enough to wait?

Grow up, accept this is your own fault and find a way to pay back what you owe or face the consequences of whatever action they decide to take. It’s as simple as that.
moonkatt
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

It's not up to you to agree when to pay it, you can make an offer but they don't have to accept it if they don't want to. Did they agree to allow you to pay it back next year, if you have that in writing from them you may be able to bat the debt collectors off.
black tea
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Im angry they are sending it now to my address, that i have never ever stated. I do not want my parents knowing i had paypal credit when i was in university 3 years ago.
It's a ridiculous thing to be angry about when you have brought this on yourself.
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Citizens advice can help you draw up a table of your income and expenditure. A repayment plan will typically be some number of pounds per month rather than a promise to pay them back next year.
You should come up with an amount per month that you'll sustainably be able to pay them. If you aren't cooperative they're likely to get a county court judgement against you (CCJ)
Quiet Benin
Rep:
I had money during lockdown. I should have paid paypal at that time. Instead recently paypal forward my details to debt collector.

So annoyed/
Quiet Benin
Rep:
(Original post by Joinedup)
Citizens advice can help you draw up a table of your income and expenditure. A repayment plan will typically be some number of pounds per month rather than a promise to pay them back next year.
You should come up with an amount per month that you'll sustainably be able to pay them. If you aren't cooperative they're likely to get a county court judgement against you (CCJ)
is a CCJ more likely to give me a criminal record
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
is a CCJ more likely to give me a criminal record
https://debtcamel.co.uk/worried-about-debt/ccj/

"A CCJ is not a criminal conviction and you cannot be sent to prison for not paying a CCJ."

As per the above replies, you should talking to them to establish a payment plan. "I'll pay you in a year" after 3 years have already passed is unlikely to fly. Especially as you have a record of trying to evade them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (69)
12.59%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.64%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
25.91%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (266)
48.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise