Grades for getting into Georgia tech

Watch
rayyanaq827
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,

I have a question. I am currently in grade 11 and am doing my AS level now.
Here are the following grade I got for my GCSE. We had to do it as teacher assessed due to Covid.

8-8 combined science (Oxford AQA)
A* ICT (Cambridge)
6 maths (Edexcel)
6 DT (Oxford AQA)
6 English first language (Edexcel)
B business (Cambridge)

I am taking IT,chemistry , Biology and maths for AS level. I think i will get A’s in all of them but maybe a B in chemistry.

I also think I will go great in SAT’s and I also do lots of extra curriculum

I really want to get into Georgia tech in Atlanta. To do computer science or AI. Do you think I will be able to get into it with these grades. Plz help.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rayyanaq827)
I really want to get into Georgia tech in Atlanta. To do computer science or AI. Do you think I will be able to get into it with these grades. Plz help.
Why dont you just email them and ask
This is a UK site so no-one here will have a clue about what a US Uni might want.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
This is a UK site so no-one here will have a clue about what a US Uni might want.
I did email but no reply, the reason why I am asking a UK site is because I am in British curriculum not American, so some people might have an idea. By the way are my gcse grades good?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I did email but no reply, the reason why I am asking a UK site is because I am in British curriculum not American, so some people might have an idea. By the way are my gcse grades good?
I would describe them as good, but not exceptional. As above, I've no idea what Georgia Tech might be looking for. They might not even consider your GCSE results at all.

Edit: Their requirements for British educated students are vague on the following page. (The IB requirements are 6/7 in most subjects, so I would suggest at least B's at AL.) You'll need to persist with getting in touch with them to get clearer guidance.

https://admission.gatech.edu/international/first-year

"Requirements for Application
- Transcripts for each year of secondary school study completed
- IGCSE/O-Level results, AS Level results, predicted A-Level results

Credentials Needed to Enroll
- General Certificate of Secondary Education

Additional Comments
- To be competitive for admission, students should be on track to complete at least 3 full A-levels before enrolling at Georgia Tech."
Last edited by Admit-One; 1 month ago
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Can you afford G-Tech?
ry7xsfa
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Your GCSE grades seem on the lower side for GA Tech. Though you can possibly make this up with strong A-Levels, probably at least 3 As and good ECs, it would be extremely difficult. They look past grades a lot, into your ECs and essays, but they are still a factor. I myself was rejected from Georgia Tech with higher GCSEs than these.

Also brought up above, the only way to afford Georgia Tech is by applying for and receiving the highly competitive Stamps Scholarship unless you are extremely rich. Not only is this a difficult scholarship to receive, but you'll be up against students from the US and UK to receive this. Georgia Tech is also a public university, meaning the number of international students they can take per year is bounded by set quotas, making admission even more difficult.
ry7xsfa
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
US Unis tend to not give straight up answers when asking questions of this nature.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
US Unis tend to not give straight up answers when asking questions of this nature.
Exactly
rayyanaq827
Rep:
I myself was rejected from Georgia Tech with higher GCSEs than these.
What were your stats when you applied for Georgia tech ?
ry7xsfa
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What were your stats when you applied for Georgia tech ?
35 ACT, A*A*A, D*D*D Predicted A-Levels/BTEC, 988877777, D*D* GCSEs/BTEC. And some strong ECs on top of that.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
35 ACT, A*A*A, D*D*D Predicted A-Levels/BTEC, 988877777, D*D* GCSEs/BTEC. And some strong ECs on top of that.
So why still rejected?
Those are awesome grades.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
And which uni did you get into?
ry7xsfa
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So why still rejected?
Those are awesome grades.
They look at a number of factors. Grades get you in the door, but your essays and ECs are what get you a place. Clearly my essays let me down or maybe there was somebody with better grades - remember the scholarship and admission are both extremely competitive.

And which uni did you get into?
I’m currently at Caltech.
Last edited by ry7xsfa; 1 month ago
rayyanaq827
Rep:
They look at a number of factors. Grades get you in the door, but your essays and ECs are what get you a place. Clearly my essays let me down or maybe there was somebody with better grades - remember the scholarship and admission are both extremely competitive.

I’m currently at Caltech.
So how do they convert A-level to gpa?

Is there a way?

And do universities in US look a lot into GCSE or not much?
ry7xsfa
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So how do they convert A-level to gpa?

Is there a way?

And do universities in US look a lot into GCSE or not much?
They don’t convert it.

They will look at your GCSE results as they are your only actual results they will have. Obviously, they’ll weight the A-Levels higher, but those grades are only predicted and it will be more difficult for them to believe high A-Level predicted grades if your GCSEs are low.

If they are reviewing two very similar applicants with very different GCSEs, they’ll be taking the one with significantly higher results 9 times out of 10 - especially at a school like Tech.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
They don’t convert it.

They will look at your GCSE results as they are your only actual results they will have. Obviously, they’ll weight the A-Levels higher, but those grades are only predicted and it will be more difficult for them to believe high A-Level predicted grades if your GCSEs are low.

If they are reviewing two very similar applicants with very different GCSEs, they’ll be taking the one with significantly higher results 9 times out of 10 - especially at a school like Tech.
But what if the AS level results are all A’s and the SAT is also high?
ry7xsfa
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
But what if the AS level results are all A’s and the SAT is also high?
Honestly really depends on your ECs and whether they’re even taking SAT scores next year. Another thing to keep in mind is that your GCSE maths isn’t great, especially for CS. And the subject combo you’re currently taking is good, but other people will definitely be taking more rigorous, which they like to see.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
Honestly really depends on your ECs and whether they’re even taking SAT scores next year. Another thing to keep in mind is that your GCSE maths isn’t great, especially for CS. And the subject combo you’re currently taking is good, but other people will definitely be taking more rigorous, which they like to see.
Well to be honest, our maths GCSE was edexcel which is like the hardest one out there, so it was kind of expected and due to Covid I was suppose to get a 7 but the grades dropped down for almost everyone. But I know that I can get an A in AS level maths. So do you think that would cover up for it?. Also I think there will be SAT’s next year. On there website they gave the option for SAT’s.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
And as you are someone who has been accepted to such a great university. Can you plz advice me on what things I should do in order to get into competitive universities. Every advice you would have given to your younger self after GCSE’s. All the help I can get is really appreciated.
rayyanaq827
Rep:
And the EC’s currently I am doing is
Duke of Edinburg
Working in the school radio (in the engineering and production team)
Taking AI boot camps
I used to be the basketball captain in the school team. I also might join a basketball club.
What EC’s were you doing and What other EC’s do you recommend for me?

Once again I really appreciate your help.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads