SIR Model Demography

Watch
Great444
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does my graph looks right, not sure how to tes if it's correct , I used Euler method.

Thanks
Attached files
Last edited by Great444; 1 month ago
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It looks reasonable. It's mu, not meow, by the way!
Great444
Rep:
(Original post by DFranklin)
Why did you think it's reasonable ? Thanks I will correct it.
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Great444)
Why did you think it's reasonable ? Thanks I will correct it.
Just looks roughly reasonable shapes for the diff equations and experience of what these kind of things typically look like.

I've not ever formally done SIR models, but Covid has made experts of us all...
Great444
Rep:
Just looks roughly reasonable shapes for the diff equations and experience of what these kind of things typically look like.

I've not ever formally done SIR models, but Covid has made experts of us all...
Thanks
Great444
Rep:
Thanks
How do I figure out the steady states from the graph?
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How do I figure out the steady states from the graph?
Just read them off, surely? (You might want to run over a longer period).

Are you sure you're not supposed to get them from the diff eqns? At steady state the derivatives would all be 0 and you get some simultaneous equations to solve.
Great444
Rep:
Are you sure you're not supposed to get them from the diff eqns? At steady state the derivatives would all be 0 and you get some simultaneous equations to solve.
Yes I am which I did , but I have also to get them from the graph and compare between them, how do I get them from the graph ?Just read them off, surely? (You might want to run over a longer period).
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes I am which I did , but I have also to get them from the graph and compare between them, how do I get them from the graph ?Just read them off, surely? (You might want to run over a longer period).
Was going to be a bit more explicit and found myself doubting your graph after all.

Shouldn't S+I+R always sum to 1? (Looking at the DEs it seems the sum of the 3 derivatives should be 0).
Great444
Rep:
Was going to be a bit more explicit and found myself doubting your graph after all.

Shouldn't S+I+R always sum to 1? (Looking at the DEs it seems the sum of the 3 derivatives should be 0).
Check now
Attached files
DFranklin
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Check now
Still doesn't look right. If S is almost zero dS/dt should be mu (and so S should be growing).

Note that I'm merely eyeballing your charts. I'm not going to do my own simulation just to troubleshoot yours.
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
Still doesn't look right. If S is almost zero dS/dt should be mu (and so S should be growing).

Note that I'm merely eyeballing your charts. I'm not going to do my own simulation just to troubleshoot yours.
Great444 for info.

wadr, I'd run the simulation on Excel and got identical results to the OP.

Although S gets close to zero, the \beta S I term of dS/dt is of the same order of magnitude as \mu at that point.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 month ago
Great444
Rep:

Good idea, I'm waiting for the result I think it's right but not sure 100%
Great444
Rep:
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Great444 for info.

wadr, I'd run the simulation on Excel and got identical results to the OP.

Although S gets close to zero, the \beta S I term of dS/dt is of the same order of magnitude as \mu at that point.
Does this mean it's correct?
ghostwalker
Report 1 month ago
Probably, or we both made the same mistake.
ghostwalker
Report 1 month ago
Although it shouldn't effect the steady state values, changing the step size does impact the graphs.

E.g. h=0.1 gives
Attached files
Great444
Rep:
Probably, or we both made the same mistake.
I don't think so.
Any idea about this ? Using suitable sources find a disease that you believe can be modelled accurately with the SIR model with demography.
Thank you
ghostwalker
Report 1 month ago
I don't think so.
Any idea about this ? Using suitable sources find a disease that you believe can be modelled accurately with the SIR model with demography.
Thank you
None. Think you might need a biologist on that one.
Great444
Rep:
Although it shouldn't effect the steady state values, changing the step size does impact the graphs.

E.g. h=0.1 gives
S and I graph here look different than my graphs
Great444
Rep:
S and I graph here look different than my graphs
Similar to this one, I thought I have to divide mu by (70*365)
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.11%
October 2021 (227)
44.86%
November 2021 (60)
11.86%
December 2021 (65)
12.85%
January 2021 (60)
11.86%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.5%