Which uni’s reputation is on the rise? And which are falling?

Watch
lostgirl93
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Just out of curiosity do you think there’s any uni in the UK that has had a major glow up over the years? Used to be average but its reputation is rising? And is there any uni which is gradually falling in the rankings and loosing its prestige? Genuinely wondering might be a stupid question but oh well
Last edited by lostgirl93; 1 month ago
conphusedstudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lostgirl93)
Just out of curiosity do you think there’s any uni in the UK that has had a major glow up over the years? Used to be average but it’s reputation is rising? And is there any uni which is gradually falling in the rankings and loosing its prestige? Genuinely wondering might be a stupid question but oh well
Durham's reputation is definitely rising. It is raising its entry requirements and thus attracts students of a higher academic calibre, who then go on to achieve excellent degrees. I think that Bristol and York's reputations are falling.
VigoWilliam
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Notts and York are declining. They were widely considered among the best a decade ago. Now they are still good, but you don't normally treat them as parts of the best.

Manchester and Bath are rising. I would say they largely replaced the places of Notts and York. St Andrews is also rising. Twenty years ago it's nowhere near Oxbridge. Now the gap is not too evidential.
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VigoWilliam)
Notts and York are declining. They were widely considered among the best a decade ago. Now they are still good, but you don't normally treat them as parts of the best.

Manchester and Bath are rising. I would say they largely replaced the places of Notts and York. St Andrews is also rising. Twenty years ago it's nowhere near Oxbridge. Now the gap is not too evidential.
It's my understanding that York is still one of the best universities for chemistry, and some other STEM degrees. Also linguistics.
Aspstudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Warwick is pretty new but has already gained attraction from banks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.9%
Note taking apps (6)
2.48%
Flashcards (46)
19.01%
Revision guides (15)
6.2%
Past papers (114)
47.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.31%

Watched Threads