Do I take music or triple science- taught at same time

Watch
samuelhm100
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really want to do music and triple science for GCSE however when I do the exam they may be taught at the same time. I want to get into music uni but love science. What do I do?
Last edited by samuelhm100; 1 month ago
thrivingfrog
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Well if want a career in music, do music
Honey57
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!! I always regret doing triple science because although it was interesting, I would’ve preferred doing combined due to lower stress. I only chose triple because I thought you HAVE to have it for alevel sciences. I still did great in triple but honestly I wish I didn’t stress myself out so much. And I had plenty of friends that did combined and did science alevels and got As and A*s so if you do triple, it doesn’t determine that you get the highest grades in alevels, it’s always about your effort and understanding.
So pick music. BUT I’d only pick music if I already play a musical instrument, if not then do triple.
tinyperson
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
up to you
thrivingfrog
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
BTW I do both music and triple science as in my school set 1 do triple and the rest do combined. I prefer music over triple science, because I've played guitar for a good 8 years and love music. I love biology too but science is much more stressful for me than music. Theory is hard but you may be good with it. If it was me, I would pick music but ultimately it is down to you.
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by thrivingfrog)
Well if want a career in music, do music
Thx. Yes, I've made my decision. Thank you
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by tinyperson)
up to you
I've chosen music. Thank you for your help
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by Honey57)
Hi!! I always regret doing triple science because although it was interesting, I would’ve preferred doing combined due to lower stress. I only chose triple because I thought you HAVE to have it for alevel sciences. I still did great in triple but honestly I wish I didn’t stress myself out so much. And I had plenty of friends that did combined and did science alevels and got As and A*s so if you do triple, it doesn’t determine that you get the highest grades in alevels, it’s always about your effort and understanding.
So pick music. BUT I’d only pick music if I already play a musical instrument, if not then do triple.
Trip science seems fun but I guess I'm choosing music. Thank you
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by thrivingfrog)
BTW I do both music and triple science as in my school set 1 do triple and the rest do combined. I prefer music over triple science, because I've played guitar for a good 8 years and love music. I love biology too but science is much more stressful for me than music. Theory is hard but you may be good with it. If it was me, I would pick music but ultimately it is down to you.
Good luck with your guitar. I'll take in your advice. Looks like I'm choosing music!
samuelhm100
Rep:
Thank you for helping me. I'm choosing music.
skylark2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you do a load of other formally examined music - i.e. high level performance exams and music theory exams? If so, it almost certainly doesn't matter whether you have GCSE music. Many universities don't even care whether you have A level music if you have, for instance, grade 8 theory - but what they'll accept as a substitute is different for every university so to have a good choice you'd want to have grade 8 in both performance and theory and some universities will require a distinction. If you're currently working at diploma level anyway, that will be a non issue. If you're at, say, grade 5 or below, getting to a high enough level might well be more difficult than the normal GCSE then A level route.

You might also want to think about what other A levels you would want to do - for instance, if you'd probably want to do one or more sciences, will your local sixth form take you without triple science at GCSE? Some will and some won't.
Sohello
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I chose music and regretted it SOO much , I hate it loads, but if music is your thing choose it or speak to your teacher and choose both? Bc I was allowed to choose both after speaking to my teacher, and i LOVED triple science
Smallix
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
up to you
not helpful
tinyperson
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
sorry
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Triple science opens more doors.. but I don't think it matters that much at GCSE anyway.
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
Do you do a load of other formally examined music - i.e. high level performance exams and music theory exams? If so, it almost certainly doesn't matter whether you have GCSE music. Many universities don't even care whether you have A level music if you have, for instance, grade 8 theory - but what they'll accept as a substitute is different for every university so to have a good choice you'd want to have grade 8 in both performance and theory and some universities will require a distinction. If you're currently working at diploma level anyway, that will be a non issue. If you're at, say, grade 5 or below, getting to a high enough level might well be more difficult than the normal GCSE then A level route.

You might also want to think about what other A levels you would want to do - for instance, if you'd probably want to do one or more sciences, will your local sixth form take you without triple science at GCSE? Some will and some won't.
Thx for your advice
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by Sohello)
I chose music and regretted it SOO much , I hate it loads, but if music is your thing choose it or speak to your teacher and choose both? Bc I was allowed to choose both after speaking to my teacher, and i LOVED triple science
Ok. I think I'll stick to music but thx for advice
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by Smallix)
not helpful
It's fine. They were just trying to help
Last edited by samuelhm100; 1 month ago
samuelhm100
Rep:
sorry
It's fine
samuelhm100
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Triple science opens more doors.. but I don't think it matters that much at GCSE anyway.
True. I think I'm sticking to music but thx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.23%
October 2021 (221)
44.38%
November 2021 (59)
11.85%
December 2021 (64)
12.85%
January 2021 (60)
12.05%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.63%