The Student Room Group

Housemate keeps leaving the heating on...

My housemate keeps leaving the heating on constantly all the time. She turns the heating on to max, then goes out from about 10 am and gets back after midnight most nights. She gets annoyed that I turn it off when I go out because when she gets back, it's not warm (I generally don't have it on that much as I don't get cold, I wear appropriate clothing like thermals and have a blanket). Still, she also walks around the house wearing a vest top that exposes her belly and the thinnest leggings I've ever seen.

I don't mind her having the heating on, of course, but I fear the heating bill is going to be huge because on the days I don't get back from classes early, the heating would have been on an entire day keeping nobody warm, it's wasteful and costly. I have moments where I wake up in the middle of the night sweating because it's that hot. She has to have it on max all the time, and lower settings aren't good enough for her. I've tried talking to her, but she doesn't listen. It seems like she was probably spoilt back at her parents because she doesn't seem to know how to clean correctly and do other stuff around the house. And to top it all off, she is not even a student. She failed her first year but still applied to move into student accommodation even though the university would not accept her for another year. She did not apply for extensions or even finish her work.

Scroll to see replies

then turn it off yourself
Original post by tinyperson
then turn it off yourself

No **** I do that, but she just turns it back on herself.
I wish I could give useful advice but all I would've told you to do is try and talk to her and establish that you're serious :erm:
Original post by MadyanC1
I wish I could give useful advice but all I would've told you to do is try and talk to her and establish that you're serious :erm:

Yeah, I have already told her that I'm serious. With our accommodaition we are limited to a certain amount that we can use and if we go over, we have to pay expensive gas bills, it is okay for her because she works full time, but for me I don't have a job and am solely relying on my student finance. And with these days I don't have time to get back home until around 7 or 8pm as my studies keep me quite busy.
Who else is living there, can you check they're onside and then call a house meeting.

Might help if you get some meter readings to show the evidence that you energy usage is excessive and you're headed for a whopper of a bill if you don't start using the heating sensibly.
Original post by Keyswored
My housemate keeps leaving the heating on constantly all the time. She turns the heating on to max, then goes out from about 10 am and gets back after midnight most nights. She gets annoyed that I turn it off when I go out because when she gets back, it's not warm (I generally don't have it on that much as I don't get cold, I wear appropriate clothing like thermals and have a blanket). Still, she also walks around the house wearing a vest top that exposes her belly and the thinnest leggings I've ever seen.

I don't mind her having the heating on, of course, but I fear the heating bill is going to be huge because on the days I don't get back from classes early, the heating would have been on an entire day keeping nobody warm, it's wasteful and costly. I have moments where I wake up in the middle of the night sweating because it's that hot. She has to have it on max all the time, and lower settings aren't good enough for her. I've tried talking to her, but she doesn't listen. It seems like she was probably spoilt back at her parents because she doesn't seem to know how to clean correctly and do other stuff around the house. And to top it all off, she is not even a student. She failed her first year but still applied to move into student accommodation even though the university would not accept her for another year. She did not apply for extensions or even finish her work.

You should try to set a timer for the heater so it comes on at certain times.
Original post by Joinedup
Who else is living there, can you check they're onside and then call a house meeting.

Might help if you get some meter readings to show the evidence that you energy usage is excessive and you're headed for a whopper of a bill if you don't start using the heating sensibly.

That's a good idea, but this is going to sound crazy, we are in a three bedroom house, with just two people living here, and the gas meter is actually in the spare bedroom that is not being used, and the policy of the agency that we are with, keeps all the bedrooms that are not in use locked, we all have locks on our rooms, so we do not have access to the bedroom where the gas meter actually is.
Original post by Wired_1800
You should try to set a timer for the heater so it comes on at certain times.

It doesn't have a timer that allows for that unfortunately, just a timer that you start so that once the timer has finished it just turns the heating off. And since my housemate turns the heating on after I have already left for class or whatever I am doing there isn't anything that I can do about that.
Have you got one of those portable thermostats?
If so, hide it.
My sister is the same, she wants to walk around in leggings and a t shirt, like put on a jumper!
Original post by Dentaldreams
Have you got one of those portable thermostats?
If so, hide it.
My sister is the same, she wants to walk around in leggings and a t shirt, like put on a jumper!

Nope, we don't even have a thermostat at all. We just have the boiler where you turn it on and set the temperature etc.
I feel you haha, that is why they are cold because they aren't wearing much.
Nope, we don't even have a thermostat at all. We just have the boiler where you turn it on and set the temperature etc.
I feel you haha, that is why they are cold because they aren't wearing much.

Right, so you know your boiler will have two heat settings. One for heating and the other for water, you can reduce that. So when she turns the heating on to say 20 degrees, it will actually be lower in the mains. Therefore resulting in less waste.

I have to go to extreme measures because of my sister but I’m naturally very warm, I walk around in a t shirt too but I’m fine.
Original post by Dentaldreams
Right, so you know your boiler will have two heat settings. One for heating and the other for water, you can reduce that. So when she turns the heating on to say 20 degrees, it will actually be lower in the mains. Therefore resulting in less waste.

I have to go to extreme measures because of my sister but I’m naturally very warm, I walk around in a t shirt too but I’m fine.

I do that, but a short while after I start feeling hot, and lo and behold she has turned it up to max again. She just does not listen to me.

I'm naturally warm too so I don't need it on that high, but it sounds like your sister and my housemate are the same, just layer up a bit more haha.
Reply 13

make her pay extra for the bill if she keeps doing it
Original post by 7Falls
make her pay extra for the bill if she keeps doing it

Can't, the way the contract is, is that any excess usage gets evenly split between the two of us. We just get notified if we have to pay extra.
I do that, but a short while after I start feeling hot, and lo and behold she has turned it up to max again. She just does not listen to me.

I'm naturally warm too so I don't need it on that high, but it sounds like your sister and my housemate are the same, just layer up a bit more haha.

Oh sorry, I don’t know what else to say.
I agree with the user above.

Precisely lol
It doesn't have a timer that allows for that unfortunately, just a timer that you start so that once the timer has finished it just turns the heating off. And since my housemate turns the heating on after I have already left for class or whatever I am doing there isn't anything that I can do about that.

Are you living in Halls or privately. If you are not paying the bills, then ignore and move on.
Original post by Wired_1800
Are you living in Halls or privately. If you are not paying the bills, then ignore and move on.

It's private. Obviously I would ignore if I wasn't paying the bills, but I am paying them sooooo...
It's private. Obviously I would ignore if I wasn't paying the bills, but I am paying them sooooo...

If you are paying the bills, then refuse to pay the bill
perhaps she will come to her senses when you guys get a huge bill?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending