Career change: forensic science to computer science/software engineer

Watch
iixjessa
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I currently do Psychology, Biology, and Philosophy & Ethics A Level due to me wanting to become a forensic psychologist in the future. However, I recently decided to change my career pathway to computer science/software engineering as I did work experience and really enjoyed it. I also have previous knowledge of Python from being a self-taught developer. Some universities don’t require maths/physics/computer for example Newcastle, but do you recommend I do Maths A Level as a private candidate to ensure I’m not at any disadvantage?

I got a 7 in the Maths GCSE, but my school isn’t allowing me to switch one of my A Level’s as they have already covered a lot of the content.

Thank you so much, any response is helpful!
Hellokitty123abc
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iixjessa)
Hello, I currently do Psychology, Biology, and Philosophy & Ethics A Level due to me wanting to become a forensic psychologist in the future. However, I recently decided to change my career pathway to computer science/software engineering as I did work experience and really enjoyed it. I also have previous knowledge of Python from being a self-taught developer. Some universities don’t require maths/physics/computer for example Newcastle, but do you recommend I do Maths A Level as a private candidate to ensure I’m not at any disadvantage?

I got a 7 in the Maths GCSE, but my school isn’t allowing me to switch one of my A Level’s as they have already covered a lot of the content.
Thank you so much, any response is helpful!
One of my friends is taking Biology as a private A Level as all the classes were too full. I say go for it! It solely depends on if you can handle it and university choices. If the unis you want to go to require it then it’s smarter to just do it but, it you want to look for alternative unis I guess you don’t have to.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't do maths on top of your current A levels although I do see the case for it. The risk of losing grades across the subjects is too great.
iixjessa
Rep:
(Original post by Hellokitty123abc)
One of my friends is taking Biology as a private A Level as all the classes were too full. I say go for it! It solely depends on if you can handle it and university choices. If the unis you want to go to require it then it’s smarter to just do it but, it you want to look for alternative unis I guess you don’t have to.
Thanks for responding! Some unis don’t require maths but I don’t want to be at a big disadvantage by not doing it. However, I’ve heard some universities recap a lot of the content in first year.
iixjessa
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
I wouldn't do maths on top of your current A levels although I do see the case for it. The risk of losing grades across the subjects is too great.
That’s what my parents and friends said. They said I should focus on doing the best I can in my 3 A Levels, then finding relevant work experience to boost my personal statement. So that’s what I’m looking into now. But thanks for responding!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%