The Student Room Group
Original post by Stormsbravecall
Hi guys, I'm 18 and currently learning how to drive. I'm in my first year of uni. Could anyone give me any advice on how to go about getting car insurance once i've gotten a car, and how much I would be paying per month or per year? Thank you

We can't really say how much you should expect to pay per year for your insurance. The cost varies wildly, so we cannot really guess.
Some good tips to bring down the cost are:
* Add parents as named drivers. As well as them being able to drive the car if they ever wanted/needed to, it brings the cost down as they are more experienced drivers.
* Try different cars. Before you commit to buying a certain type of car, try the insurance on several types of cars (get the reg plates off adverts to try). This should give you an idea of which cars are cheaper for you.
* Try comparison sites. To see which companies work out cheapest for you.
* A handful of companies (e.g. Churchill and direct line) aren't on comparison sites, so look at those as well to see what they can offer.
*Don't go for black boxes. They are nothing but a pain in the arse. They may appear cheaper to start with, but with the costs of extra miles, etc etc, plus all if the hassle they create mean it's not worth it. Some.also have things such as curfews, which for some driver's make them not viable for some if you need your car to get to and from uni/work etc etc. Basically they are rarely cheaper. Even if they are the same price- go for the non black box policy.

I'm sure I'll think of more tips and be back.
Reply 2
Original post by Stormsbravecall
Hi guys, I'm 18 and currently learning how to drive. I'm in my first year of uni. Could anyone give me any advice on how to go about getting car insurance once i've gotten a car, and how much I would be paying per month or per year? Thank you

There's already a thread stickied.. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4825738
Unless you go for a box you wont get insurance cheap cheap (would avoid a box if possible) but most new drivers cant afford to but hopefully you can? smallest engine possible and add drivers i suppose. Too many factors that change constantly so giving you a quote just can't be done but if i remember rightly my 1.0 corsa was £1550 a year with a box and just over £2,000 without yet if you ask someone else on here theirs might of been £3,000 without a box etc as it depends on so much.

I always use https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/ for quotes, like Tom above said go on that link and it tells you everything you need to know bud.

Latest

Trending

Trending