Switching A-Levels quite late into year 12?

Watch
Hippoface123
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently in year 12 doing chemistry, biology and politics as my A-levels. I really enjoy biology and politics and see myself getting good grades in those subjects (ideally I’d like my final results to be AAA*). However, I’m really concerned about chemistry. Whilst I understand the organic chemistry side pretty well, I’m really struggling with all of the calculations. I don’t even understand the easy questions. I’ve never been particularly mathematical and so I don’t see myself being able to get good at the calculations even with a lot of hard work. My organic chemistry teacher has also been away for a month and we’ve just been set note taking and random practicals that aren’t really anything to do with the course, so I’m quite behind on that as well. Because it’s mechanisms that we’ve been teaching ourselves, I really need to make sure I understand it and right now I honestly don’t. I do think I’m capable of learning it if I try a bit harder but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I really just don’t see myself getting any more than a C in chemistry if I’m struggling this much already at AS level and it’s only going to get harder in year 13.
So, I would really like to switch to psychology. I worked out that I’ve missed 29% of year 12 (excluding the holidays) so obviously that’s over a quarter and therefore quite a bit of catch-up work. I’m willing to work hard at it though and spend a lot of time on it over Christmas as I think that it’ll be beneficial in the long run. Even though I’ll have a lot of work to do, I think that my brain is at least capable, meaning that I’ve got a fighting chance of getting an A.
I also don’t need chemistry for my future career, but to follow the university pathway that I want to I do need pretty high A-level results (it doesn’t matter what A-levels I do as long as I’m at least doing biology).
Other psychology students have told me that they think I’ll be okay if I spent a lot of time working at it, but the school is making it super difficult to switch and keeps going on about how unprecedented this is. This is obviously stressing me out especially because every time they push it back and arrange yet another meeting for another day I’m getting further and further behind.
I really just want to know from somebody that has already done A-levels (preferably but not necessarily psychology) - is this a good idea in the long run and, bearing in mind how much of the course I’ve missed, is it possible for me to catch up? I should add that my parents have agreed to let me get a psychology tutor outside of school.
lotusberry10
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I know someone who switched course at the end of year 12 and got and an A. Pressure your school, if you get parents involved they will have to listen and change.
Quarsient
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hippoface123)
I’m currently in year 12 doing chemistry, biology and politics as my A-levels. I really enjoy biology and politics and see myself getting good grades in those subjects (ideally I’d like my final results to be AAA*). However, I’m really concerned about chemistry. Whilst I understand the organic chemistry side pretty well, I’m really struggling with all of the calculations. I don’t even understand the easy questions. I’ve never been particularly mathematical and so I don’t see myself being able to get good at the calculations even with a lot of hard work. My organic chemistry teacher has also been away for a month and we’ve just been set note taking and random practicals that aren’t really anything to do with the course, so I’m quite behind on that as well. Because it’s mechanisms that we’ve been teaching ourselves, I really need to make sure I understand it and right now I honestly don’t. I do think I’m capable of learning it if I try a bit harder but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I really just don’t see myself getting any more than a C in chemistry if I’m struggling this much already at AS level and it’s only going to get harder in year 13.
So, I would really like to switch to psychology. I worked out that I’ve missed 29% of year 12 (excluding the holidays) so obviously that’s over a quarter and therefore quite a bit of catch-up work. I’m willing to work hard at it though and spend a lot of time on it over Christmas as I think that it’ll be beneficial in the long run. Even though I’ll have a lot of work to do, I think that my brain is at least capable, meaning that I’ve got a fighting chance of getting an A.
I also don’t need chemistry for my future career, but to follow the university pathway that I want to I do need pretty high A-level results (it doesn’t matter what A-levels I do as long as I’m at least doing biology).
Other psychology students have told me that they think I’ll be okay if I spent a lot of time working at it, but the school is making it super difficult to switch and keeps going on about how unprecedented this is. This is obviously stressing me out especially because every time they push it back and arrange yet another meeting for another day I’m getting further and further behind.
I really just want to know from somebody that has already done A-levels (preferably but not necessarily psychology) - is this a good idea in the long run and, bearing in mind how much of the course I’ve missed, is it possible for me to catch up? I should add that my parents have agreed to let me get a psychology tutor outside of school.
I started further maths this time last year and im doing well. Go for it.
MurryaMatthews1
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey mate. I know people who have changed subjects in the summer holiday beige year 13 and worked the summer you will be fine. I changed in in November from computer science to Business studies and am predicted A*. I would highly recommend changing. Consider something easy to you. It will help and give you time on the harder subjects you have. All the best and try not to stress yourself out.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You missed far more than 29% - we reckon to get through about half the Year 12 content in the first term. Weeks in the summer are lost to exams, sports days, school events etc. Is there a place in the Psychology group? You need to talk to your school not TSR - in my school the answer would be no as the group is full.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.13%
October 2021 (226)
44.75%
November 2021 (60)
11.88%
December 2021 (65)
12.87%
January 2021 (60)
11.88%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.51%