The Student Room Group

If youre in hospital and cant get out so miss a levels

Will they not let you take them when youre better? Or will you have to repeat a year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sohello
Will they not let you take them when youre better? Or will you have to repeat a year

I think it really depends on your personal situation, how much school you have missed, what you're hoping to achieve and how well you are at the time of exams. Often there will be arrangements so that you can still sit exams if you are well enough, or if you miss some exams they may still be able to give you a grade by looking at any coursework or exams in that subject that you did manage. Depending on what you're asking about, there are also resits in november i think so that would mean you wouldn't need to resit the year.
Hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by Purple43Monkey
I think it really depends on your personal situation, how much school you have missed, what you're hoping to achieve and how well you are at the time of exams. Often there will be arrangements so that you can still sit exams if you are well enough, or if you miss some exams they may still be able to give you a grade by looking at any coursework or exams in that subject that you did manage. Depending on what you're asking about, there are also resits in november i think so that would mean you wouldn't need to resit the year.
Hope this helps x

Ok thanks I just saw it in a show and I was like im sure you dont have to repeat a year bc its not your fault youre in hospital
Who is "they"?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
Who is "they"?

Government?? Exam board? College ?
Reply 5
It depends on how much you've missed, how ill you are and some other stuff.

If you are well enough to attempt the paper in hospital then the school will take it in for you to attempt in hospital. There will probably also have arranged temporary access arrangements, e.g. rest breaks, a scribe, extra time, as appropriate and claim special consideration as you were ill..

If you've done some of the overall assessment already (e.g. paper 1 or the NEA) then it MAY be possible to award you a grade just on that.

It is not possible to move the exam by more than a few hours, so if you can't attempt at least some of the assessment in that exam season then you would have to take it in the next opportunity, generally the following year but there has been an Autumn opportunity recently because of Covid
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sohello
Government?? Exam board? College ?
Government - there's nothing illegal about it.

Exam Board - will gladly be paid the money for your entry to the qualification, provided that no deadlines are missed in the admin

College - Have the decision over what you can and cannot be entered for. It's up to the college how they decide.
You can take A levels at any age. If you don't take them at 18 then you can take them at 19, or 20, or 30, or 80. You might be able to do exams in hospital (depending on why you are there, of course, if you need monitoring but feel okay then that's really quite common). Or if you miss only some of the papers you might be given a result based on the papers you did take.

If you don't have a qualification then you don't have a qualification. Nobody's going to say that it isn't your fault you didn't get it so let's pretend you did, so yes, you would need to take time to pass the exams while other people the same age as you have moved on. It's really not a big deal. Year 13 is the last time in your life you will be working with people who are all the same age anyway,.
Moved to A-levels
When I was in the position of potentially being off for the exams (in the end I wasn't), I was told I would be given my predicted grades.
Reply 10
I missed my exams (scotland) due to being in hospital for a year. my school and consultant all wrote letters as supporting evidence to explain my situation when I applied to uni, and I got 5 offers!
im not sure how it works if you have an opportunity to sit mocks or submit coursework? they won't let you sit the same exam diet at a later date, that's certain. get well soon
Reply 11
Original post by black tea
When I was in the position of potentially being off for the exams (in the end I wasn't), I was told I would be given my predicted grades.

I expect it was a teacher who told you that, they know very little about exam regulations. Ignoring covid, this has never been an option for A levels. It used to be necessary to complete at least 40% of the assessment (with some further restrictions) before a grade could be awarded. That has been reduced to 25% but all candidates have to undertake some of the assessment.

Exam boards stopped even collecting predicted grades over 10 years ago as they were so inaccurate as not to be worth having. (Which raises some interesting questions about the grades awarded for the past 2 years).,
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EOData
I expect it was a teacher who told you that, they know very little about exam regulations. Ignoring covid, this has never been an option for A levels. It used to be necessary to complete at least 40% of the assessment (with some further restrictions) before a grade could be awarded. That has been reduced to 25% but all candidates have to undertake some of the assessment.

Exam boards stopped even collecting predicted grades over 10 years ago as they were so inaccurate as not to be worth having. (Which raises some interesting questions about the grades awarded for the past 2 years).,

I did my A-Levels a while ago when they were still modular, hence I would have completed over 40% of the assessments (so my experience if very out of date, I guess)
Reply 13
I did my A-Levels a while ago when they were still modular, hence I would have completed over 40% of the assessments (so my experience if very out of date, I guess)

In those days you had to have done 40% including at least one A2 unit but that could have been coursework or a January unit before those were stopped. I remember a student missing all his exams in the Summer of Year 13 and still getting A*A*AAA (and I'm still annoyed they didn't give him an A* in Chemistry) and getting his Medicine place.

The final grade is then based on the units you have done - predicted grades don't come into it at all.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sohello

You can take exams in hospital ...
Original post by EOData
In those days you had to have done 40% including at least one A2 unit but that could have been coursework or a January unit before those were stopped. I remember a student missing all his exams in the Summer of Year 13 and still getting A*A*AAA (and I'm still annoyed they didn't give him an A* in Chemistry) and getting his Medicine place.

Yes, this was in summer and I had done all my coursework and 1-2 units from each subject in the January exams.
Reply 16
Yes, this was in summer and I had done all my coursework and 1-2 units from each subject in the January exams.

So they'd have been able to calculate you a grade based on the units you had done - how they do it is explained here https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/
If you in for just a day or so they can reschedule I don’t know too much about A-level (I did a BTEC) but at GCSE we were told if you have a long term illness and miss all your exams you’ll be given your predicated grades based on your course work.
Reply 18
Original post by jonathanemptage
If you in for just a day or so they can reschedule I don’t know too much about A-level (I did a BTEC) but at GCSE we were told if you have a long term illness and miss all your exams you’ll be given your predicated grades based on your course work.

None of that is true.
Original post by EOData
None of that is true.

It was quite a long time ago.

Quick Reply

Latest