Why is a guy called a hero when he sleeps around but a girl gets called a slut

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I admit I sleep around a lot but I get called a slut all the time yet several guys have lots of sex and they get called legends, why is this?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Immaturity.
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Jealousy.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Stupidity.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I admit I sleep around a lot but I get called a slut all the time yet several guys have lots of sex and they get called legends, why is this?
Social constructs and old-fashioned views. It’s literally just sexism/misogyny. “Body count” is a social construct and literally doesn’t mean anything. As long as your sexual encounters are safe and consensual, it literally doesn’t matter. Anyone who cares about “body count” is immature and someone you should avoid. This is coming from a virgin!
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Anyone who cares about “body count” is immature and someone you should avoid.
Not necessarily though.. different people have different preferences and deal-breakers, that doesn't mean they're immature
Last edited by summerbirdreads; 1 month ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The word you’re looking for are ****boys.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
The word you’re looking for are ****boys.
Playboys too I suppose.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Not necessarily though.. different people have different preferences and deal-breakers, that doesn't mean they're immature
It does because nobody ever cares about a man’s body count. It’s literally only women who are judged for how many people they’ve slept with.
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It does because nobody ever cares about a man’s body count. It’s literally only women who are judged for how many people they’ve slept with.
That's not always the case.. I have plenty of female friends who are put-off by "playboys" even when they have crush on them.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Something about a lock and a key, the lock is meant to preserve their lock whereas the key is meant to unlock them all. Same thing with sex, a woman is expected to be pure whereas men are expected to **** as much as they can. Can't explain the reasoning behind this mindset though, it's just how it is with society.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Simply because women control access to sex whereas men do not. Women choose who they want to have sex with whereas men have to work much harder to earn access to sex than women do. So a woman that gives a lot of sex away freely gives no value to the act and no value to her body, which cheapens her. If something holds value to you then you don't give that away easily without making the other person work for it. Women trade sex in exchange for resources, time and attention from men. A man that gains access to sex with a lot of women has obviously done a lot of hard work to achieve the access, which will earn him respect from other men and social validation from women that he is doing something right in the game. This is why since the beginning of time, promiscuous women with multiple sexual partners have been looked down upon - because they did not preserve the value in their own bodies and they did not make men work hard to earn access. Men and women do not have the same sexual privileges, so there's no point complaining why does a woman get called names and a man doesn't. That's just the way it is.

Someone mentioned the lock and key analogy above but they didn't go into detail on it. Look at it this way: men are keys, women are locks. Men unlock sex from women. A key that opens many locks is a master key whereas a lock that can be opened by many keys is a **** lock.
cantnorithesuhi
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asif007)
Simply because women control access to sex whereas men do not. Women choose who they want to have sex with whereas men have to work much harder to earn access to sex than women do. So a woman that gives a lot of sex away freely gives no value to the act and no value to her body, which cheapens her. If something holds value to you then you don't give that away easily without making the other person work for it. Women trade sex in exchange for resources, time and attention from men. A man that gains access to sex with a lot of women has obviously done a lot of hard work to achieve the access, which will earn him respect from other men and social validation from women that he is doing something right in the game. This is why since the beginning of time, promiscuous women with multiple sexual partners have been looked down upon - because they did not preserve the value in their own bodies and they did not make men work hard to earn access. Men and women do not have the same sexual privileges, so there's no point complaining why does a woman get called names and a man doesn't. That's just the way it is.

Someone mentioned the lock and key analogy above but they didn't go into detail on it. Look at it this way: men are keys, women are locks. Men unlock sex from women. A key that opens many locks is a master key whereas a lock that can be opened by many keys is a **** lock.
this all assumes men desire sex more than women do tho (or at least that men desire sex with many partners while women want monogamous sex).

Assuming men and women desire sex equally then it must be equally hard for each to get sex from the other - unless ur implying that men have lower standards for who they'll have sex with than women, in which case they're not rly being 'heroes' cos a hero is a person who uses their courage/ ability to gain something of value.

However I've heard it said that from an evolutionary perspective it makes sense that women would want more sex from one guy whereas men would want to spread their genes around via as many women as possible. For a woman to pass on her genes she just needs to have as many children as possible - it doesn't exactly matter who the father is as long as he's healthy enough to mean the baby will survive to reproductive age. Ig it's ideal if the man sticks around to protect the child and mother after pregnancy so perhaps this is another point in the 'women like monogamy' column.

But for men they should just get with as many different women as possible to ensure the survival of their genes in their children. It's more time efficient to focus on impregnating many different women than to spend time ensuring the survival of a couple of children by the same women. So perhaps men are evolutionarily predisposed to aim for polygamy not monogamy.

And so culture from the beginning of time has perhaps grown up around the women monogamous, men polygamous dichotomy and women who contravene this by sleeping around were/are treated as worthless/ wrong.

But just cos a **** goes inside another thing doesn't make it a 'key' ffs.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by asif007)
A key that opens many locks is a master key whereas a lock that can be opened by many keys is a **** lock.
Whoa Socrates chill the **** out mate lol

Seriously though,👌needs to be like...written in the Bible or some **** lol
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It says prsom to asif but I've literally not repped someone in months.
booklover1313
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It’s sexism and misogyny. That’s it. It’s just about criticising women for doing things that men do and aren’t criticised for. There is no such thing as a slut.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
There is no such thing as a slut.
Don't be ridiculous.
booklover1313
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Don't be ridiculous.
It’s a deeply sexist term that has no real meaning. If a woman has sex, she is branded a slut but if she doesn’t then she is called frigid. These are stupid labels that are born from the desire to criticise female sexuality. What is the male equivalent of a slut? There isn’t an equally derogatory word, so why should there be one for women?
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
I guess its just male behaviour well some male behaviour. Not all guys are like this. I wouldn't sleep around or try to im a one woman man.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
It’s a deeply sexist term that has no real meaning. If a woman has sex, she is branded a slut but if she doesn’t then she is called frigid. These are stupid labels that are born from the desire to criticise female sexuality. What is the male equivalent of a slut? There isn’t an equally derogatory word, so why should there be one for women?
It's not about the male equivalent of slut. It's about the equivalent of being put down for your sex life. Men are put down for being virgins more so than women are. Women are put down for being promiscuous more so than men are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (68)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.65%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
26.06%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.07%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (264)
48.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.3%

Watched Threads