Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I do history, geog and triple science along with Spanish, English and maths. I’m not really keen on geography, if I changed to health and social, would that be better?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do history, geog and triple science along with Spanish, English and maths. I’m not really keen on geography, if I changed to health and social, would that be better?
Wow a school student who aspires to be a GP and not neurosurgeon?! That's a rarity.

Anyway do whatever GCSEs you like, but you should aim to do Biology and Chemistry at A-Levels to open most doors.

Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 for a list of which med schools require what A-Level subjects,
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Wow a school student who aspires to be a GP and not neurosurgeon?! That's a rarity.

Anyway do whatever GCSEs you like, but you should aim to do Biology and Chemistry at A-Levels to open most doors.

Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 for a list of which med schools require what A-Level subjects,
Same thought, most people (I could be wrong) who want to go into medicine just want to have a high-paying job and prestige for their family rather than the job itself.
Last edited by The RAR; 1 month ago
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes ecolier is right. Wishing you every success with your future studies!
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Same thought, most people (I could be wrong) who want to go into medicine just want to have a high-paying job and prestige for their family rather than the job itself.
I remember wanting to study medicine for that very reason.
Anonymous #1

Is it bad? I want to have time to do what I love in the future but I’m also really interested in medicine and helping others. Things like a surgeon is a lot of uni which would restrict me until I’m in my 30’s so I’m not sure what I’d be able to do? Do you have any ideas? I’d also be in a lot of debt and my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt. I really love biology, chemistry’s ok- not my favourite but not my worst subject. I also have interests in history and Spanish!

Thank you so much for your help
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The RAR)
I love helping others. Money isn’t a big factor in my career. As long as I have enough to have my basic needs, I’d be ok!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
I remember wanting to study medicine for that very reason.
Did you study medicine?
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is it bad? I want to have time to do what I love in the future but I’m also really interested in medicine and helping others.
No, it's good!

Things like a surgeon is a lot of uni which would restrict me until I’m in my 30’s so I’m not sure what I’d be able to do? Do you have any ideas?
Surgeons don't have to spend any addition time in Uni - technically once you graduate you can start training towards doing surgery. Some doctors may do additional qualifications to make themselves more competitive.

I’d also be in a lot of debt and my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt. I really love biology, chemistry’s ok- not my favourite but not my worst subject. I also have interests in history and Spanish!

Once you gradaute you'd start earning money - even in training.

But you are right - GP specialty training is the shortest.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is it bad? I want to have time to do what I love in the future but I’m also really interested in medicine and helping others. Things like a surgeon is a lot of uni which would restrict me until I’m in my 30’s so I’m not sure what I’d be able to do? Do you have any ideas? I’d also be in a lot of debt and my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt. I really love biology, chemistry’s ok- not my favourite but not my worst subject. I also have interests in history and Spanish!

The time spent at uni (and thus the debt) is exactly the same whether you become a surgeon or a GP
Last edited by black tea; 1 month ago
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Did you study medicine?
Lol no... it was more of childhood Asian parents agenda conflicting my thoughts thing. I'm in year 13.
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's really lovely to see actually, my own GP looks exhausted, hope they're ok with all the new face-to-face stress. Also, not sure if you mind me telling you, I have a Newcastle interview and a Saint Andrews interview, all thanks to your help! Thank you!!
ecolier
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
It's really lovely to see actually, my own GP looks exhausted, hope they're ok with all the new face-to-face stress. Also, not sure if you mind me telling you, I have a Newcastle interview and a Saint Andrews interview, all thanks to your help! Thank you!!
Congrats and good luck!
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Congrats and good luck!
Thank you!! PRSOM!
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
my friends have told me that I wouldn’t have any money because I’d be paying back all the uni debt.
Are your friends the same age as you - i.e. 13 going on 14, just choosing GCSEs? Have a think about how much they know about university, studying medicine, student finance repayments and so on.

You're doing the right thing by researching it for yourself. Be very careful of the sort of urban myths about university which get passed from one generation of mid-teens to the next and often have no basis in reality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (68)
12.52%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.66%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
25.97%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.1%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (263)
48.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed