Help: Baking Donuts for Competiton

Watch
Blue_Bunny
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For Masterchef I'm thinking of making donuts, either 8 or 6 in total, half vanilla custard and the other half chocolate custard, unless anyone else has a better suggestion. I'm following a recipe from 'Nino's Home custard donuts' which I've made before and they tasted great but I wanted to make them look fancy so any ideas on how to decorate them? Im muslim so no gelatin based ideas please, also we only get around an 1hr and 15min. I'm going to make the dough at home and thinking of doing the 30 proof at school during the comp, but if I leave the dough in the school food tech rooms, would it proof whilst I'm in school? School starts at 8:30 (I get there around 8:15 on average) and my class finishes at 2:55pm so Id get to the room at 3:05 so Im thinking of pre-cutting the dough as well but my main worry is they over proof so any ideas on how to stop them proofing whilst I'm not there? Also, its really cold where I live s where could I leave my donuts when its time to proof them? Any other impressive desserts to make within 1hr 15 min would be appreciated!
I122
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
So is this for a food tech exam or for masterchef?
Last edited by I122; 1 month ago
Blue_Bunny
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by I122)
So is this for a food tech exam or for masterchef?
masterchef
I122
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hmm the donuts would prove and I don't think you can stop them from proving.

You have a huge selection of other desserts
Last edited by I122; 1 month ago
I122
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For gelatin substitutes you can use agar agar

Desserts:
-macarons
-eclairs
-gateau
-swissroll
-tart
-chessecake
-tiramisu (with the ladyfingers done from scratch)
-pavlova
I122
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
To decorate donuts elegantly, you can dip them in glaze (you can colour the glaze)

You can drizzle on one side some chocolate (either white or normal chocolate), and then stick to them decorations such as dried rasberries, small chocolate pieces, nuts or anything that looks good.

Also I have a foolproof recipe for macarons if u want

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%