The Student Room Group

english lang mock GCSE

i have my English lang mock on Tuesday (paper 1 AQA)

please may you give me some tips :smile:

honestly, out of all the subjects i have for my mock exams, i am most scared of english - it's making me quite anxious and i'm not that strong in it
Go on YouTube and watch ‘Mr. Salles Teaches English’. I literally learn lots from him.
Original post by harlz_chalamet
i have my English lang mock on Tuesday (paper 1 AQA)

please may you give me some tips :smile:

honestly, out of all the subjects i have for my mock exams, i am most scared of english - it's making me quite anxious and i'm not that strong in it.

Hi, this may be a bit late but it might provide some use for the future.

For question 1, it shouldn't take you that long. 1 minute at max. That means you've bagged about 3 minutes. For question 2, spend around 10 minutes and write (preferably) 2 paragraphs on it. For question 3, you do the same. For question 4, spend about 25 minutes on it, and for question 5, spend 50 minutes on it. This should give you around 9 minutes to read/annotate the extract when you start the exam. You can always adjust it to your likings as this is more personalized towards me.

Question 3 is a bit tricky. Try looking at the begining of the text and see if you can find any hooks. Then, look at the end and see if there are any cliffhangers or if it is a cyclical structure. If there is a cyclical structure, you must refer to the cyclical structure in the first paragraph of the extract you are given. Try looking at the paragraphs and see how the mood changes. Look for things such as dialogue to help you if you can't find anything else.

In your actual exam, you can always repeat yourself and steal sentences that you've written from other questions as the examiners rarely mark more than 1 of your questions. If they do, they've probably forgotten since there is many other kids they have to mark. I'd advise you not to do that for your mocks though. Do not repeat yourself in the same question, you won't gain marks for that.

Make sure you throughly explain all your points and for question 3, do not analyse any specific word. Try keeping it almost as a summary.

I'd recommend you write 2 paragraphs for question 2 and 3. 3 on question 4. 2x language features and 1x strcutral feature. If you find structure more easy to write about, then write 2 on structue and 1 on language techniques.

For question 5, it's all about getting creative so I can't really help you with that. Make sure you leave 5 minutes at the end to check grammar as it is worth 16 marks on question 5.

Most schools follow PEEL or something similar to that but i'd adivsed you use something called PEWHALE.

Point
Evidence
Why has the writer done this?
How does this make the reader feel?
Link back to the question/ point.
Explain

Make sure you explain all the points in PEWHALE and back it up with evidence. You don't need to always stick on one quotations and analyse that for your whole paragph as you would probably run out of ideas quickly!

I hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest