Is paragraph spacing in personal statement important?

Watch
Kokimi
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm currently applying for computer science in a mix of high to medium unis. Will the tutor admissions mind if I remove all the paragraph spacings? I've already taken off a whole paragraph and struggle a lot with cutting down content so I'm afraid that if I remove any more lines, the quality will be gone. With spaces, I'm about 7 lines over the limit, but without them, I'm at 46 lines.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You can’t have paragraphs when you submit it anyway
Last edited by WantBeAnonymous; 1 month ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Important - no
Advisable - yes

I’ve never read a PS that couldn’t be improved by reducing and focusing the content. Your audience are not going to spend long reading your PS. Concise and easily read will benefit your PS more than cramming in 7 more lines of text.
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
You can’t have paragraphs when you submit it anyway
Yes you can. You can leave blank lines between paragraphs to make the structure clear and improve the readability of the PS.
Kokimi
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Important - no
Advisable - yes

I’ve never read a PS that couldn’t be improved by reducing and focusing the content. Your audience are not going to spend long reading your PS. Concise and easily read will benefit your PS more than cramming in 7 more lines of text.
Alright, Thank you for your advice!
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
Yes you can. You can leave blank lines between paragraphs to make the structure clear and improve the readability of the PS.
Name:  B06A13E6-8618-4938-BAA9-54E89D826975.jpg.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  27.3 KB
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You can preview how it looks on UCAS and it clearly includes any lines you did (or didn't) leave in...
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Spaces - yes (same as indents/tabs)

Blank lines - not removed
booklover1313
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kokimi)
Hi, I'm currently applying for computer science in a mix of high to medium unis. Will the tutor admissions mind if I remove all the paragraph spacings? I've already taken off a whole paragraph and struggle a lot with cutting down content so I'm afraid that if I remove any more lines, the quality will be gone. With spaces, I'm about 7 lines over the limit, but without them, I'm at 46 lines.
My school told us it was highly advisable to put paragraph breaks in. Send your statement to people you trust, like teachers or academic family friends, and ask them where they think you can loose words.
Kokimi
Rep:
(Original post by booklover1313)
My school told us it was highly advisable to put paragraph breaks in. Send your statement to people you trust, like teachers or academic family friends, and ask them where they think you can loose words.
Thank you! I ended up being able to reduce my ps to 47/47 lines including paragraph breaks and just sent it off
booklover1313
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kokimi)
Thank you! I ended up being able to reduce my ps to 47/47 lines including paragraph breaks and just sent it off
Yay well done! Good luck with your application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.89%
October 2021 (194)
46.08%
November 2021 (43)
10.21%
December 2021 (56)
13.3%
January 2021 (46)
10.93%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.26%