Are entry requirements rising for higher tier unis?

Watch
WhoAmI???
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm worried.
jray204
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Over the last like decades yes not in the last 2 years. Actually now that I think of it, covid most likely inflated them last year and a bit this year as they expected teachers to predict a lot higher. Unfortunately for me my teachers still predicting as normal so everyone in me school is like good but bad compared to top unis whereas other years have been amazing.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I dont think there is anything official but last year 3 times the numbers of student achieved the A* grade than in 2019 because of Teacher Assessed grades. Universities got caught out because they based their offers on 8% getting A* nor 23% so had many more applicants they had to take. There is uncertainty whether exams will take place and whether teahers assessed grades will continue so basically universities are in an impossible situations, A couple of admissions officers on here are reporting that offers are being delayed for most students, Due to this uncertainty nobody can answer your query. It might be universities will be stricter on who they are making offers to rather than a set change in grades.
gman9999
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Because everyone and their grans are getting A* predictions like its nothing. You can get 90%+ in school mock tests and internal exams if youve bothered to do like 3-4 past papers.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Some unis have nudged up their requirements for oversubscribed courses, but I don’t think there’s been any widespread increase.
WhoAmI???
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I dont think there is anything official but last year 3 times the numbers of student achieved the A* grade than in 2019 because of Teacher Assessed grades. Universities got caught out because they based their offers on 8% getting A* nor 23% so had many more applicants they had to take. There is uncertainty whether exams will take place and whether teahers assessed grades will continue so basically universities are in an impossible situations, A couple of admissions officers on here are reporting that offers are being delayed for most students, Due to this uncertainty nobody can answer your query. It might be universities will be stricter on who they are making offers to rather than a set change in grades.
thanks. yeah its kinda scary as it has definitely risen. And my grades were received in 2020, the worst year for A* grades.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by WhoAmI???)
thanks. yeah its kinda scary as it has definitely risen. And my grades were received in 2020, the worst year for A* grades.
Sorry but they werent the worst year for A level grades, They were double earlier years. Universities are in an impossible situation due to the confetti grades being given. For years they have been able to fairly accurately predict their intake. In the last 2 years that hasnt been the case and nobody knows what will happen this year. There are only so many people you can fit into lectures or labs. There isnt an unlimited amount of accommodation. Universities will end up asking for higher grades to restrict numbers. Something similar happened in 2011 when fees were increased and students werent deferring in the usual numbers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (68)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.65%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
26.06%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.07%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (264)
48.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.3%

Watched Threads