2021 Mphil Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence Application

Watch this thread
ipadpro
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Is anyone applying to this course? Please share your backgrounds or update your application status here!
givemegrad
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ipadpro)
Is anyone applying to this course? Please share your backgrounds or update your application status here!
Just submitted my application earlier today! Does anyone know what the timeline is like?
Poch_Phachara
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ipadpro)
Submitted my application on 20th Oct. Haven't heard anything back from them yet. I have a BEng in mechanical engineering with 1 year of work experience in AI.
givemegrad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Poch_Phachara)
Submitted my application on 20th Oct. Haven't heard anything back from them yet. I have a BEng in mechanical engineering with 1 year of work experience in AI.
I submitted mine the day before the deadline and it’s under review by department. I think they’ll start releasing offers around Jan now that the deadline has passed.
Fikun66
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
check out this youtuber:

Giga Gab
Last edited by Fikun66; 4 months ago
givemegrad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Fikun66)
check out this youtuber:

Giga Gab
She’s got some good stuff that I wish I saw before I applied.

Does anyone know if the department holds interviews for candidates?
Byzantycy
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Same here, the acceptance rate is disgusting tho so not high hopes, at least for me. Good luck to everyone else tho
EDIT: Applied 1st Dec, under review by department currently
Last edited by Byzantycy; 4 months ago
clairerere
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I submitted my application 1 day before the deadline and completed my interview two days ago! Does anyone know when I should expect to receive a decision? Thanks!
givemegrad
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by clairerere)
I submitted my application 1 day before the deadline and completed my interview two days ago! Does anyone know when I should expect to receive a decision? Thanks!
I think after the interview your applications gets moved to degree committee who then have to push it forward to PAO so maybe another month as they only meet once a month.

How did the interview go? Was it like an informal chat? Do you mind telling us about the kind of questions they asked?
clairerere
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by givemegrad)
I think after the interview your applications gets moved to degree committee who then have to push it forward to PAO so maybe another month as they only meet once a month.

How did the interview go? Was it like an informal chat? Do you mind telling us about the kind of questions they asked?
Thanks! I heard it'll probably take another month too...Fingers crossed! 🤞🤞

I think it went okay, around 20 minutes. My interviewer (a professor) is super nice. We basically went through my experiences and some other typical interview questions!!
wingdevourer
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by givemegrad)

I did mine yesterday with Richard Turner. I was asked a few motivation and background questions and then I gave a presentation on a project I've done related to MLMI.
clairerere
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by wingdevourer)
I did mine yesterday with Richard Turner. I was asked a few motivation and background questions and then I gave a presentation on a project I've done related to MLMI.
My interview was in a similar format. Did he give you any comments and tell you when the decisions will be released?
Mister20f
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I did my interview on the 11th. My interviewer (according to current students of the programme and alumni) is supposed to be tough. Indeed I experienced this when we went through my presentation and he asked me really technical questions. My interview lasted for 40 minutes instead of the agreed 20, I don't know if I should be happy about this fact or not.

As a summary, I struggled through most of the technical questions, however, I was able to come up with a solution after some hints were provided. I guess my success will depend on whether he considered his questions to be hard or not. Reading from some of you guys, it seems that you didn't go through so much struggle? I got told that I should hear from them in 2 weeks, but I expect that it will take around a month to hear something back.
Last edited by Mister20f; 4 months ago
wingdevourer
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by clairerere)
My interview was in a similar format. Did he give you any comments and tell you when the decisions will be released?
He told me that the decision will be made in one or two weeks and did not make very specific comments (only some general ones).
clairerere
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by wingdevourer)
He told me that the decision will be made in one or two weeks and did not make very specific comments (only some general ones).
I see! Then maybe the waiting time will be shorter this year?
Byzantycy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
If people who applied on the same day as I did are already getting interviews then I am probably doomed haha, no update yet for me. Can I ask about the background of those who have gotten an interview?
Byzantycy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Also anyone knows of any rejections already?
Mister20f
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Byzantycy)
If people who applied on the same day as I did are already getting interviews then I am probably doomed haha, no update yet for me. Can I ask about the background of those who have gotten an interview?
Hey! I wouldn't be so sure of that, I have heard from people that didn't get an interview invitation until like March/April. Don't lose hopes until a rejection letter!
I did my interview a few days ago already. I am a final year BSc in Theoretical Physics student at QMUL, I also have around 7 months of data science/engineering work experience in a couple of internships. Also, I am focusing my final year research in Deep Generative Machine learning in the context of particle physics.
Byzantycy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mister20f)
Hey! I wouldn't be so sure of that, I have heard from people that didn't get an interview invitation until like March/April. Don't lose hopes until a rejection letter!
I did my interview a few days ago already. I am a final year BSc in Theoretical Physics student at QMUL, I also have around 7 months of data science/engineering work experience in a couple of internships. Also, I am focusing my final year research in Deep Generative Machine learning in the context of particle physics.
Scouted the forum and what I gathered is no news = good news - that's why I also asked about rejections.

The background is amazing - no wonder you got your interview already. Also gives hope as I have a research internship and currently starting another Internship which should be reflected on the application. For the record, I do Mathematics at UoB.
Mister20f
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Byzantycy)
Scouted the forum and what I gathered is no news = good news - that's why I also asked about rejections.

The background is amazing - no wonder you got your interview already. Also gives hope as I have a research internship and currently starting another Internship which should be reflected on the application. For the record, I do Mathematics at UoB.
I believe no one should have gotten rejected yet, I think rejections will start coming out in February-ish, and not even all of them. Let's stay optimistic for now .

Research internships are really valuable for them as well. That together with a good academic performance and a solid cover letter should give you many chances! In my case I have a 90% average, top 5% of my cohort and then the internships and final bsc thesis. That is pretty much all I have
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (14)
21.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.61%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
6.06%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
15.15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
24.24%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
22.73%

Watched Threads