Is it too late to do UKMT challenges in Year 13?

Watch this thread
ygdshd
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I did the Senior Math Challenge recently and only got a silver because of stupid mistakes. I want to do better next year but I feel that there would be no point in doing so because it is not something I can include in my personal statement. If I apply to Oxbridge (engineering) will this put me at a disadvantage? Are there any other math challenges that I can enter this year independent of my SMC result (it seems that all other UKMT challenges are all sequels to the SMC so if you don’t meet the BMO threshold then you can’t do the subsequent Olympiads).
I just feel really upset and dumb right now - I feel like because I didn’t do well I just lost my chance into doing my dream uni.
user993990
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
a silver isnt bad lol. obviously unis arent going to ignore you if you do badly in ukmt - they care more about their entrance exams. do the physics olympiad (january 2022, bpho.org.uk/bpho/as-challenge ). it could even benefit if you mention your silver, silver is better than nothing
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ygdshd)
I did the Senior Math Challenge recently and only got a silver because of stupid mistakes. I want to do better next year but I feel that there would be no point in doing so because it is not something I can include in my personal statement. If I apply to Oxbridge (engineering) will this put me at a disadvantage? Are there any other math challenges that I can enter this year independent of my SMC result (it seems that all other UKMT challenges are all sequels to the SMC so if you don’t meet the BMO threshold then you can’t do the subsequent Olympiads).
I just feel really upset and dumb right now - I feel like because I didn’t do well I just lost my chance into doing my dream uni.
As above, its an ok result and hardly a deal breaker.

If you're applying to oxbridge, you'll do something like pat/engaa, so youll have to do a fair bit of practice for those (and the interviews). Anything you do for ukmt/pat/engaa (or whichever exam) is hardly going to be wasted, you may even learn some things.
Last edited by mqb2766; 5 months ago
Bigflakes
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by mqb2766)

If you're applying to oxbridge, you've got to get through mat/step, so youll have to do a fair bit of practice for those (and the interviews). Anything you do for ukmt/mat/step is hardly going to be wasted, you may even learn some things.
I mean.. I was a couple marks off a bronze, I got a pass so should I just not mention it at all.

And as to the post, I think silver is very good, in my whole college only a couple of people got a silver, nobody got higher then that
Bigflakes
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by user993990)
a silver isnt bad lol. obviously unis arent going to ignore you if you do badly in ukmt - they care more about their entrance exams. do the physics olympiad (january 2022, bpho.org.uk/bpho/as-challenge ). it could even benefit if you mention your silver, silver is better than nothing
Do you have to enter the physics competition with a school, or can you enter alone?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
It would really depend on what else was on your personal statement. As above, it wont be a deal breaker either way and if you have a fair amount of other stuff to put in there, you could leave it out. If you're looking for stuff to put in your personal statement, its better to say you tried than not tried. If you put a bit of practice in for next year and do better, you have something to talk about in your interview(s), if necessary.
user993990
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Bigflakes)
Do you have to enter the physics competition with a school, or can you enter alone?
i think you do it with a school but its free for your school
bdj70
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ygdshd)
I got a bronze in the senior maths challenge an honestly i would still put it on my personal statement just because it's better than doing nothing at all and a silver is still very good
username5857626
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I mean don't they have dates for that? I did mine about 3 yrs ago now and got a bronze lol so you did well! It's worth putting it on a personal statement.
Anonymous(
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

If you're applying to oxbridge, you'll do something like pat/engaa, so youll have to do a fair bit of practice for those (and the interviews). Anything you do for ukmt/pat/engaa (or whichever exam) is hardly going to be wasted, you may even learn some things.
Hi mqb2766, you seem to know a lot about maths/physics competitions, so I just wanted to ask a question, hope that’s okay! I’m going to start preparing for the senior physics challenge from the 28th of Jan (have mocks till then) (Talking about the March one run by BPhO). I’ve never done Olympiad physics before or any Isaac physics. I will be doing past papers and Isaac physics questions to prepare. Is this enough time to prepare? I’m aiming for a silver and above. I know it varies, but how much time do you reckon I should spend per week preparing? Are my goals realistic? Also, do I need to know any A2 content? Is any calculus used (I know calc, just asking cause A level is not calc based). Or any other advanced maths/physics? Thank you.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous()
Hi mqb2766, you seem to know a lot about maths/physics competitions, so I just wanted to ask a question, hope that’s okay! I’m going to start preparing for the senior physics challenge from the 28th of Jan (have mocks till then) (Talking about the March one run by BPhO). I’ve never done Olympiad physics before or any Isaac physics. I will be doing past papers and Isaac physics questions to prepare. Is this enough time to prepare? I’m aiming for a silver and above. I know it varies, but how much time do you reckon I should spend per week preparing? Are my goals realistic? Also, do I need to know any A2 content? Is any calculus used (I know calc, just asking cause A level is not calc based). Or any other advanced maths/physics? Thank you.
I know the maths stuff well, but the bhpo stuff less so (know about the younger Y11 challenge). You must be talking about the Y12 one on 4th March? https://www.bpho.org.uk/bpho/as-challenge

A month or so should be a reasonable amount of time to improve your performance, though you probably wont have much spare time. Impossible to say what you'll get.

You've got about a dozen papers on line, so try and get through 2 or 3 a week, doing supplemental reading & exercises from a decent textbook & Isaac/question bank/, when you come across something hard/interesting/ ... The questions seem "aligned" with the AS syllabus so calculus shouldn't be on there.
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I know the maths stuff well, but the bhpo stuff less so (know about the younger Y11 challenge). You must be talking about the Y12 one on 4th March? https://www.bpho.org.uk/bpho/as-challenge

A month or so should be a reasonable amount of time to improve your performance, though you probably wont have much spare time. Impossible to say what you'll get.

You've got about a dozen papers on line, so try and get through 2 or 3 a week, doing supplemental reading & exercises from a decent textbook & Isaac/question bank/, when you come across something hard/interesting/ ... The questions seem "aligned" with the AS syllabus so calculus shouldn't be on there.
Hey! Thanks for replying! Yes I’m talking about the one on 4th March. Do you know anyone who knows a lot about the BPhO stuff? Perhaps you could tag them?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey! Thanks for replying! Yes I’m talking about the one on 4th March. Do you know anyone who knows a lot about the BPhO stuff? Perhaps you could tag them?
Sorry, I dont know anyone particular. I know the general material, but haven't gone over the y12/y13 papers, apart from a quick glance. Why not just create a thread in physics forum and tag me in there if necessary and post specific queries and other people will probably pick it up as appropriate.

Im not sure what you're really looking for? The best advice is generally to work through the past papers and what you find difficult will be different from someone else. A rough syllabus is given by the question bank (topic specific questions from previous years). If you're happy doing the past papers (delving into the supplementary reading/exercises as needed) you should do ok. If you have problems, the Isaac books are good and cheap, and post any queries in the physics forum. Someone recently recommended University Physics with Modern Physics as an advanced A level resource and it is very good with lots of exercises, but possibly too much for 1 month work.
Last edited by mqb2766; 3 months ago
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Sorry, I dont know anyone particular. I know the general material, but haven't gone over the y12/y13 papers, apart from a quick glance. Why not just create a thread in physics forum and tag me in there if necessary and post specific queries and other people will probably pick it up as appropriate.

Im not sure what you're really looking for? The best advice is generally to work through the past papers and what you find difficult will be different from someone else. A rough syllabus is given by the question bank (topic specific questions from previous years). If you're happy doing the past papers (delving into the supplementary reading/exercises as needed) you should do ok. If you have problems, the Isaac books are good and cheap, and post any queries in the physics forum. Someone recently recommended University Physics with Modern Physics as an advanced A level resource and it is very good with lots of exercises, but possibly too much for 1 month work.
Yeah I should’ve explained this better. Basically I just want to know whether I even have a chance of doing well (silver+) without devoting like all my time to it. I only found out about this recently and I have a lot of other stuff going on. Firstly, I’m an international student so simply registering for the paper is a rather difficult task. I have my second set of mocks in March and then my AS exams in May(intl. A levels) which I have to do very well in cause I want to apply to Oxbridge. I also have to prepare for the American SAT’s and some maths competitions. So there’s just a lot of stuff going on. Part of it is circumstance, part of it is procrastination. I’m definitely going to be spending time improving my maths and physics problem solving skills regardless of whether I do the competitions or not, but if I decide not to participate, I can be more gradual with this and have a balance. It’s unlikely that I do well in any of the competitions I’m going to participate in cause I found out about them very late. But was hoping to do well in at least 1 cause it helps with the already hyper competitive Oxbridge/imperial applications. Thanks btw, you’ve given me a good idea of what I should be doing and what my chances are.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah I should’ve explained this better. Basically I just want to know whether I even have a chance of doing well (silver+) without devoting like all my time to it. I only found out about this recently and I have a lot of other stuff going on. Firstly, I’m an international student so simply registering for the paper is a rather difficult task. I have my second set of mocks in March and then my AS exams in May(intl. A levels) which I have to do very well in cause I want to apply to Oxbridge. I also have to prepare for the American SAT’s and some maths competitions. So there’s just a lot of stuff going on. Part of it is circumstance, part of it is procrastination. I’m definitely going to be spending time improving my maths and physics problem solving skills regardless of whether I do the competitions or not, but if I decide not to participate, I can be more gradual with this and have a balance. It’s unlikely that I do well in any of the competitions I’m going to participate in cause I found out about them very late. But was hoping to do well in at least 1 cause it helps with the already hyper competitive Oxbridge/imperial applications. Thanks btw, you’ve given me a good idea of what I should be doing and what my chances are.
Sure, context always helps. Tbh, Id go for it with whatever preparation you can do. Its not going to hurt to do some preparation / getting the isaac books / ... and you don't have to declare your score if you don't do well. If Im being harsh, deciding not to have a go sounds like another reason not to knuckle down. If you're applying to oxbridge/imperial, you must know what you should do.
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Sure, context always helps. Tbh, Id go for it with whatever preparation you can do. Its not going to hurt to do some preparation / getting the isaac books / ... and you don't have to declare your score if you don't do well. If Im being harsh, deciding not to have a go sounds like another reason not to knuckle down. If you're applying to oxbridge/imperial, you must know what you should do.
Yes, I was thinking in a similar manner, that I should definitely at least try, one can learn only via trying and the experience will definitely be useful. Thanks once again!
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oh btw, can you elaborate a bit on what these Isaac books contain? And there seem to be many, so which one should I go for?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Oh btw, can you elaborate a bit on what these Isaac books contain? And there seem to be many, so which one should I go for?
You realize its impossible to really make recommendations as I've no idea of your current level, what resources you have, ... However, ones like
https://isaacphysics.org/books/physics_skills_19
https://isaacphysics.org/books/solve_physics_problems
are decent for £1 in the uk. Much of it is available online but its easy to get distracted and the books are a decent, well organized summary for you to read, scribble on etc. Outside the uk, theyll be more expensive and there may be other things that suit you better.

Id guess Id spend less time worry about having the right book and more getting started on doing some practice / going over the model solutions. Also, it really would be worth you posting in the physics forum, rather than maths.
Anonymous(
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You realize its impossible to really make recommendations as I've no idea of your current level, what resources you have, ... However, ones like
https://isaacphysics.org/books/physics_skills_19
https://isaacphysics.org/books/solve_physics_problems
are decent for £1 in the uk. Much of it is available online but its easy to get distracted and the books are a decent, well organized summary for you to read, scribble on etc. Outside the uk, theyll be more expensive and there may be other things that suit you better.

Id guess Id spend less time worry about having the right book and more getting started on doing some practice / going over the model solutions. Also, it really would be worth you posting in the physics forum, rather than maths.
I’m not spending anytime ‘worrying’ about what the right book is. Since you recommended I check it out, I just thought I’d ask you which books you’re specifically talking about because whilst I know about the website, I’m not too familiar with the books. I’ll probably end up not buying it and just doing challenge questions on the website. I had actually made a post in the physics forum, but it didn’t get any responses. I apologise for posting here, I just happened to stumble across this post today and I’ve seen you giving solid advice everywhere so just thought i’d ask. Anyways, I won’t be posting here or in the physics forum again since you’ve told me all I need to know. Apologies once again.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I’m not spending anytime ‘worrying’ about what the right book is. Since you recommended I check it out, I just thought I’d ask you which books you’re specifically talking about because whilst I know about the website, I’m not too familiar with the books. I’ll probably end up not buying it and just doing challenge questions on the website. I had actually made a post in the physics forum, but it didn’t get any responses. I apologise for posting here, I just happened to stumble across this post today and I’ve seen you giving solid advice everywhere so just thought i’d ask. Anyways, I won’t be posting here or in the physics forum again since you’ve told me all I need to know. Apologies once again.
No apologies are necessary, I was simply trying to say you'll generally get more info in the physics forum and for some reason if there is no response, just tag me. Books are very useful, but generally there are previews etc available so just think about which one(s) look good to you and get those.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads