The Student Room Group

What is a good salary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
I'd say it has little to do with working conditions. Some of the toughest jobs are poorly paid; caring, cleaning, retail.

Whereas office jobs are typically far better conditions and better paid.

That is a good and an important point. It is a shame that these jobs have such a bad salary that the workers hardly afford a livelihood.
Reply 21
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
So many jobs are underpaid though e.g. starting salary for a newly qualified teacher outside of London is only £25k

How much is a teacher worth though?
Reply 22
Original post by sabana
True, it's the same for nursing too. And nursing is such a tough/stressful role.

How much is a nurse worth?
Reply 23
Original post by Quady
How much is a nurse worth?

Not sure about London. But in the North they start on around £25.5k. Very similar to teachers.
Ohh I'm very sorry! Of course! I'll be sure to inform my future employers!
Reply 25
Original post by sabana
Not sure about London. But in the North they start on around £25.5k. Very similar to teachers.

Oh

I thought you were saying they are underpaid
So many jobs are underpaid though e.g. starting salary for a newly qualified teacher outside of London is only £25k

And u wud consider that underpaid? Considering it's a starting wage I thought that was alright (i want to be a teacher haha) and that can grow into 30-40k which is average/above average...and u get even more if u get higher positions or take on extra responsibilities
Ig when u put it that way it makes sense...ill work hard 💪
Original post by HelloHello143
And u wud consider that underpaid? Considering it's a starting wage I thought that was alright (i want to be a teacher haha) and that can grow into 30-40k which is average/above average...and u get even more if u get higher positions or take on extra responsibilities

Based on what I've seen and had to do in placements, teachers are underpaid.
Even when teachers do take on additional responsibilities, it's only £1k more.
Based on what I've seen and had to do in placements, teachers are underpaid.
Even when teachers do take on additional responsibilities, it's only £1k more.

Ah so ur basing it on like the amount of work they do?

I've only done placement in nurseries so far, got primary school placements in March but nursery teachers do so much work and get paid hardly anything, its shocking...im not surprised they got excited when I said I'm doing a 2 week block placement from Monday 😂😭
Ah so ur basing it on like the amount of work they do?

I've only done placement in nurseries so far, got primary school placements in March but nursery teachers do so much work and get paid hardly anything, its shocking...im not surprised they got excited when I said I'm doing a 2 week block placement from Monday 😂😭

I did my teacher training last year and it really opened my eyes on how much there is to do. So much more goes on beyond "teaching hours".
I did my teacher training last year and it really opened my eyes on how much there is to do. So much more goes on beyond "teaching hours".

Oh so are u a qualified teacher now? If so what age are u with?
Read the title as "What is a good celery?"
Oh so are u a qualified teacher now? If so what age are u with?

Yep, im a qualified primary teacher. Though im currently not working as one due to personal issues.
60k I'd say is a decent salary. A good but achievable(with a lot of hard work) salary I'd say is 100k-150k .

the definition of a 'good salary' varies from person to person.
(edited 2 years ago)
Looking at these salaries shocked me cuz I was looking at potential lab jobs i could go to after I graduate and thought 21k is alot :eek:
Yep, im a qualified primary teacher. Though im currently not working as one due to personal issues.

Oh ok, even tho ur not working as one rn if u cud change ur career path (even go back in time and not qualify to become teacher) wud u?

I like working with children and enjoy working and teaching in nurseries, despite the hard work i feel like its really easy to do, if it had higher pay I'd do it tbh (they all say u shudnt care about the pay, but seriously how cud I considering working with such low pay when i know i can earn higher as something else)...but im just not 100% sure about primary schools with even more work, more children and less staff, presentations and marking etc but i dont know what else i cud work as with good pay...im going uni next year with my no. 1 course choice being primary ed (rly competetive) so if i dont get on that I'm doing educational psychology, so I'll have 3 years to look more into what I cud do ig
Original post by Spelunker
Looking at these salaries shocked me cuz I was looking at potential lab jobs i could go to after I graduate and thought 21k is alot :eek:

Yeh I think minimum as a graduate (so starting wage) should be 25k at the least, otherwise 30k+...15-20k is if u don't go uni, I do BTEC childcare rn and my teacher said I can earn that as soon as I finish this course lol
Oh ok, even tho ur not working as one rn if u cud change ur career path (even go back in time and not qualify to become teacher) wud u?

I like working with children and enjoy working and teaching in nurseries, despite the hard work i feel like its really easy to do, if it had higher pay I'd do it tbh (they all say u shudnt care about the pay, but seriously how cud I considering working with such low pay when i know i can earn higher as something else)...but im just not 100% sure about primary schools with even more work, more children and less staff, presentations and marking etc but i dont know what else i cud work as with good pay...im going uni next year with my no. 1 course choice being primary ed (rly competetive) so if i dont get on that I'm doing educational psychology, so I'll have 3 years to look more into what I cud do ig

Tbh i probably wouldn't change it. I adore children and absolutely love being a teacher. It's a challenging career but i can't imagine myself doing anything else for a long time.

I do have an interest in mental health though, always have, and being a child psychotherapist does interest me. But i don't plan on going down the psych route for a long long long time.
Reply 39
Original post by Spelunker

Trick there is not to get a lab job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending