Drove 27mpb on a 20mph road. Nervous as heck

Watch
NervousCurtis
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi Guys, throwaway account here apologies

I just passed my test 2-3 weeks ago and been driving happily ever since, until this past week, Thursday evening. I thought its a good idea to gain experience driving in the dark.
So there I was driving around Putney, Tibbets corner roundabout exiting to Tibbet's Road. The road I was was on a 40, turned 30 when approaching the round about and then caught me off guard when it turned to 20 when on TIbbets road.

I'm not gonna fight it, I know I missed multiple 20mph signs, I realised this when I saw 1 flash behind me, I saw a 20 sigh and saw my speedometer at 26-27.. One more reason I thought it was a still a 30 even though I missed the sign was the bus next to me, the cars in front and behind me was doing the same speed as I was doing. Everybody slowed down including myself when the flash hit.

Totally lapse of concentration and not a very experienced night driver,, I had problems looking too far ahead because of the lights dazzling me. Not a good excuse I know.

Now, I went back on google street to check for cameras but I couldn't find any at all. Am I being paranoid? Where did the flash come from? Was there a new installation of camera that came after google did their street rounds?

It's this road here, not even 200 meters
https://goo.gl/maps/r9c3LJcRNQ3Gzap29

I looked everywhere, not a single camera apart from the bus lane one. But I honestly saw one flash like lightning.

Thank you for listening to my anxiety. Apologies...
I know I should just own up to my mistake, and im doing just that, but If I can get away with it then happy days...
Nick6501
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Assume there is a camera everywhere nowadays, you cant rely on google maps as cameras can be installed after the map car viewed the street and all sorts, maybe someone behind was flashing to let you know to slow down or maybe a pothole where the car dips down and up making it seem like a flash.

When i was going out getting experience as a new driver i would drive the roads in daylight so i knew the road off by art and where each turn and lights was and of course speed signs/changes then i would go the same route in night time and kept doing that with new roads until eventually you train your eyes to be more aware for these sort of things but going out at night as a new driver on a road you don't know well can create these issues. I'm not from there and have never been there so don't know the road to say if there is cameras or not but why not drive back up there and follow the exact same route and take your time and look for a camera then you'll know? if you do get a ticket then sadly its still deserved as you was speeding but i do feel bad as you're a new driver.

Drive the opposite way so you can see if there is a camera on the side of the road you was traveling? thats if you want to put it to rest or just wait and see if you get anything through post.
Last edited by Nick6501; 1 month ago
NervousCurtis
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you, that's what I usually do, I go to an unknown road during daytime and do it again during th night, but night came too quick that day and Waze took me to this road that I've been to before. I even have a sticker on my car saying I have a blackbox *even thought I don't* as I got sick of people flashing me or honking at me for going 20 on a 20.

I'll accept the ticket if there is one, which I hope is only 3 points. im really paranoid about getting 6 points in my first two years, I even use cruise control on 19-20 usually to just not exceed it.
Cant really go to putney as it will take me an hour and a half to get there.. also, that flash put me off driving at the moment.... one more mistake and im done for...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads