The Student Room Group

The eligibility of a family member of a UK national?

Hi,
My partner is a UK national and I am on a family visa. By the time I will apply for the student loan I will be living in the UK for 3 continuous years.

I have a master degree that I financed myself from a London university and I want to start my PhD next September.

My question is about the eligibility for my circumstance. I and my partner were living outside of the EU and the UK before moving to England in 2019. I find the government website not very clear about this very case.

Although it seems very detailed I feel I would not fit into any category of those?

A UK family member who has been in the UK for the last 3 years but with no ILR or EU settlement. any thoughts?

Thanks.

=======
https://www.gov.uk/doctoral-loan/eligibility
Your nationality or residency status

You can apply for the Postgraduate Doctoral Loan if all of the following are true:

you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay

you normally live in England

you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or Ireland for 3 continuous years before the first day of your course, apart from temporary absences such as going on holiday

You may also be eligible if you’re a UK national (or family member of a UK national) who either:

returned to the UK on or after 1 January 2018 and by 31 December 2020 after living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

was living in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein on 31 December 2020 and has been living in the UK, the EU, Gibraltar, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for the past 3 years

If you’re an EU national or a family member of an EU national

You may be eligible if you’re an EU national, or a family member of an EU national, and all the following apply:

you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (no restrictions on how long you can stay)

you’ve normally lived in the UK, Gibraltar, EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)

you’ll be studying at a university in England

You could also be eligible if you’re:

the child of a Swiss national and you and your parent have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

a migrant worker from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, or a family member of one with settled or pre-settled status

a resident of Gibraltar who is a UK or EU national, or their family member

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending