The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Foundation year tests

Hi, I'm 24 & currently have an interview for a degree with a foundation year at Sheffield. Before I have my interview I also have to take an online maths & english test. I read that it's to see if I will benefit from the foundation course, but I'm worried if I do well on the tests then they will reject my application, or if I do bad on them then they won't accept me either. My application was rejected from the main course (without the foundation year) so this is my final option & don't want to mess it up. I'm feeling confident in terms of the interview, but does anyone who has been through this before have any advice? 😬
Original post by raene
Hi, I'm 24 & currently have an interview for a degree with a foundation year at Sheffield. Before I have my interview I also have to take an online maths & english test. I read that it's to see if I will benefit from the foundation course, but I'm worried if I do well on the tests then they will reject my application, or if I do bad on them then they won't accept me either. My application was rejected from the main course (without the foundation year) so this is my final option & don't want to mess it up. I'm feeling confident in terms of the interview, but does anyone who has been through this before have any advice? 😬

The test will also be to review your maths & English skills after an extended break from education. If they have decided to assess you for entry for the foundation year when you originally applied for the regular program I doubt doing too well on the tests will be a detriment to you.

I am not speaking from a position of expertise as I am currently applying for the foundation year as well but I don't think they would reject you for doing well on the entry test. The entry test is likely to be the level of maths you would require for entry onto the course and they want to see if you can handle it.

Out of personal interest which program are you applying for and how long did it take you to hear back about an interview? I am currently waiting to hear back myself.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by mah1000000
The test will also be to review your maths & English skills after an extended break from education. If they have decided to assess you for entry for the foundation year when you originally applied for the regular program I doubt doing too well on the tests will be a detriment to you.

I am not speaking from a position of expertise as I am currently applying for the foundation year as well but I don't think they would reject you for doing well on the entry test. The entry test is likely to be the level of maths you would require for entry onto the course and they want to see if you can handle it.

Out of personal interest which program are you applying for and how long did it take you to hear back about an interview? I am currently waiting to hear back myself.

Thanks for your reply!
I originally applied for the main course & was rejected, but they never offered me the foundation course instead I had to add the course to my UCAS application & send it again separately. I think thats why I'm a bit worried as a didn't have the best grades in school or college, or in anything relevant either. I did speak to someone about this during the Open Day though so I wasn't too surprised.
I re-sent the application on the 1st of November & got a reply with an offer (online tests & interview) on the 11th. The course is in East Asian Studies so they might've got back to me quickly as it's a less popular course. They took around 2 weeks to get back to me the first time with my rejection.
Good luck with your applications! I hope they get back to you with good news soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending