The Student Room Group

why cant I speak english?

I honestly dont know how to speak english , everytime I feel like im making progress i slip up on some vocab or grammar and all of a sudden ive been punched in the face cause I accidentally told someone piss off instead of 'pass the wine'. Its really getting on my nerves how bad I am at english and I really need some guidance from besties, any tips to get better at english?
Hey, English is one of those weird idiomatic languages where even native speakers can misinterpret each other.
Don't worry, sounds like they are just being impatient. Sadly, a lot of native speakers lose patience as soon as they hear an accent. And it also depends on which area of the UK or USA / other English speaking countries you are in.

I'm from the south and hearing a northern accent can be tricky, and we all have different words for bun xD.

Try to stay positive :smile: every awkward encounter takes you one step closer to being more fluent.

As for tips, I'd say to emerge yourself into as much language as possible, both formal and informal. For example, we all learn to read the news and articles in a foreign language but spend time on YouTube listening to Vloggers and even translating song lyrics to learn new phrases and their contexts can be so helpful.

Lastly, don't let this one experience put you off, keep putting yourself out there and Good Luck!! :h:
Original post by nikkiblonsky
I honestly dont know how to speak english , everytime I feel like im making progress i slip up on some vocab or grammar and all of a sudden ive been punched in the face cause I accidentally told someone piss off instead of 'pass the wine'. Its really getting on my nerves how bad I am at english and I really need some guidance from besties, any tips to get better at english?

this isn't a tip but i just wanted to say that i relate to this. even though english is literally my first language and i was born here, i keep saying things wrong and muddling up my sentences. i have no idea why
Reply 3
Stop using text speech. Periodt.
Original post by Surnia
Stop using text speech. Periodt.

sis a baddie can never stawpp
This really hits home.
I can’t believe people actually gave serious answers to this :rofl:
Original post by Mesopotamian.

Post #2 took their time..

'I accidentally told someone piss off instead of 'pass the wine' should have been a dead give away, the boy's about 12, why would he be asking for wine?

Umm... do you want this moved to the English forum? :erm:

I didn't even read the second line. Now I feel stupid.
(edited 2 years ago)

That's interesting because I have never picked up that you might have a problem with English. Is it spoken, written or all of it?
Reply 12
all of a sudden ive been punched in the face cause I accidentally told someone piss off instead of 'pass the wine'.

Your creative writing skills are spot on

a lot of my international frd learnt from watching and listening english shows like FRIENDS, immersion helps

Quick Reply

Latest