Help with A-levels subjects.

Watch
AnimalLoverSimba
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!
I'm currently in year 11, and the plan is to start applying to sixth forms this weekend. I'm hoping to go into the science field (medicine/ veterinary)
And do Chemistry and Biology, suggestions on any other subjects which would match well are welcomed. I've heard maths would be the best but I'm not reaching the required level to take it for A- level.
I'm having a sixth form taster day and the subjects I had chosen were psychology, sociology, geography, business, and economics.
I've always had a passion for business but did not take it for GCSE.
I quite like the sound of geography but did not take it for GCSE as well.
I pretty much regret taking my chosen GCSEs, which are Art, Drama, Photography, and History. I don't do triple science and a language.
But recently I have been trying to learn Russian, I am seeing a lot of improvement. -(I'm half Russian, but my parents never taught me) Maybe an option for A-level?
Last edited by AnimalLoverSimba; 1 month ago
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
For med do chem, bio and whatever 3rd subject you enjoy!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How to Choose 6th Form subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AnimalLoverSimba)
Hi!
I'm currently in year 11, and the plan is to start applying to sixth forms this weekend. I'm hoping to go into the science field (medicine/ veterinary)
And do Chemistry and Biology, suggestions on any other subjects which would match well are welcomed. I've heard maths would be the best but I'm not reaching the required level to take it for A- level.
I'm having a sixth form taster day and the subjects I had chosen were psychology, sociology, geography, business, and economics.
I pretty much regret taking my chosen GCSEs, which are Art, Drama, Photography, and History. I don't do triple science and a language.
But recently I have been trying to learn Russian, I am seeing a lot of improvement. -(I'm half Russian, but my parents never taught me) Maybe an option for A-level?
Try different combinations in here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
Check the courses on unis websites to be sure.
If you are deffo picking biology and chrmistry then you should be fine. Pick whichever 3rd subject you enjoy most and think you will get the best grade in.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There is a thread o the medicine forum which outlines which subjects each university requires for Medicine and it varies quite a lot Some require Chemistry, some Biology, some Maths but having Chem and Biol would work for most Your 3rd subject can be anything in most places. Of your choices Psychology or Geography might fit best but i suspect for most places it wont matter. Just check out the position regarding Russian as sometimes universities dont like native languages for Medicine.
AnimalLoverSimba
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There is a thread o the medicine forum which outlines which subjects each university requires for Medicine and it varies quite a lot Some require Chemistry, some Biology, some Maths but having Chem and Biol would work for most Your 3rd subject can be anything in most places. Of your choices Psychology or Geography might fit best but i suspect for most places it wont matter. Just check out the position regarding Russian as sometimes universities dont like native languages for Medicine.
Thank you!
mlee531
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi!
Maths (and further maths if you like/are good at maths), bio and chem would be good for medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.14%
October 2021 (226)
44.84%
November 2021 (60)
11.9%
December 2021 (64)
12.7%
January 2021 (60)
11.9%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.53%