Can a circular motion trajectory be in a straight line?

Watch this thread
sefth3
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I know this might be a dumb question, but I've had to plot the trajectory of a particle undergoing circular motion, when the initial velocity was greater than zero and my trajectory plot was a straight line...
Does this mean a force is acting on the particle? Or have I done it wrong
Mathsnerd1212
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
If a particular is undergoing circular motion, it must, at all points, have a result force pointing towards the centre of the circle.

I am not sure if this answers you question, but I hope it helps.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sefth3)
I know this might be a dumb question, but I've had to plot the trajectory of a particle undergoing circular motion, when the initial velocity was greater than zero and my trajectory plot was a straight line...
Does this mean a force is acting on the particle? Or have I done it wrong
I think I am more dumb that I don't really understand what are you doing or have done.

Perhaps, you want to post the actual question that you are solving and the work that you have done.
If an object is undergoing circular motion, shouldn't the path be circular? Is it undergoing "partial" circular motion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads