Physics interview- Manchester

Watch
Htx_x346
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What kind of questions did they ask?

Thanks a lot!! x
Riversidecymru
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Don’t know how much this will help as I’m a parent of son who had an interview with Manchester about 3 weeks ago & I know nothing about physics! He said no personal questions at all , all maths/ physics equations starting with him asking what topic he was doing at school & one qu lead to the next to the next. He said he felt he was often a bit hesitant but the professor teased it out of him rather than expecting a correct answer immediately . At the end he said you got everything right & he’s got an offer
Good luck to you
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by Riversidecymru)
Don’t know how much this will help as I’m a parent of son who had an interview with Manchester about 3 weeks ago & I know nothing about physics! He said no personal questions at all , all maths/ physics equations starting with him asking what topic he was doing at school & one qu lead to the next to the next. He said he felt he was often a bit hesitant but the professor teased it out of him rather than expecting a correct answer immediately . At the end he said you got everything right & he’s got an offer
Good luck to you
oh wow, thanks a lot!
Riversidecymru
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Htx_x346)
oh wow, thanks a lot!
I’m sorry I don’t know what actual questions but to encourage you he thought there were awkward silences at times & he thought he didn’t know everything but he still got an offer so they’re obv not looking for “perfect” answers more how you approach problem solving. & he actually enjoyed more than Lancaster which he found a bit less structured . Best of luck
Riversidecymru
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’m sorry I don’t know what actual questions but to encourage you he thought there were awkward silences at times & he thought he didn’t know everything but he still got an offer so they’re obv not looking for “perfect” answers more how you approach problem solving. & he actually enjoyed more than Lancaster which he found a bit less structured . Best of luck
Ps he thought too the prof hadn’t read his ps but then at one point he said “if you’ve read xxxxx you should know this” so if you’ve quoted a text read it!
Htx_x346
Rep:
Ps he thought too the prof hadn’t read his ps but then at one point he said “if you’ve read xxxxx you should know this” so if you’ve quoted a text read it!
Thank you!! really appreciate it
Htx_x346
Rep:
and congrats to your son
lcfrmrngstr
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Holy crap I didn't even know there were interviews for physics. When are the interviews?
Htx_x346
Rep:
(Original post by lcfrmrngstr)
Holy crap I didn't even know there were interviews for physics. When are the interviews?
Wdum? Have you got one from Manchester too?
lcfrmrngstr
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Wdum? Have you got one from Manchester too?
I did apply, and I haven't gotten a decision yet but I was under the impression that interviews for physics were only for oxbridge candidates. If you don't mind could you tell me roughly when your interview is?
Riversidecymru
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I did apply, and I haven't gotten a decision yet but I was under the impression that interviews for physics were only for oxbridge candidates. If you don't mind could you tell me roughly when your interview is?
My son had his on 9th nov & was under the impression as such a big course interviews would be taking place over quite a number of weeks. Maybe worth an email? His application went in early though as he was going for Oxford (rejected last night tho) so maybe they were getting the oxbridge lot through interviews quickly. It was an open afternoon event with interview as part of it . Hope you hear soon
Htx_x346
Rep:
No, Manchester have interviews but they give offers to all of the people they interview apparently. Mines in around two weeks. I hope you get yours soon!!

Also idk what thread I've seen you on before but I've definitely interacted with you 🤔
Last edited by Htx_x346; 1 month ago
lcfrmrngstr
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, Manchester have interviews but they give offers to all of the people they interview apparently. Mines in around two weeks. I hope you get yours soon!!

Also idk what thread I've seen you on before but I've definitely interacted with you 🤔
Haha thank you very much for the info. Yeah first time you met me, you described to me the binary delay system in the 2019 PAT, and we've talked on the PAT thread as well. Are you thinking of going to UoM? I'm having a hard time deciding between Nottingham and Manchester myself.
Htx_x346
Rep:
Haha thank you very much for the info. Yeah first time you met me, you described to me the binary delay system in the 2019 PAT, and we've talked on the PAT thread as well. Are you thinking of going to UoM? I'm having a hard time deciding between Nottingham and Manchester myself.
No problem! I've got an offer from Nottingham actually. I'd say Notts<<Manchester. I'm hoping to get an offer from Manchester.
Last edited by Htx_x346; 1 month ago
lcfrmrngstr
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No problem! I've got an offer from Nottingham actually. I'd say Notts<<Manchester. I'm hoping to get an offer from Manchester.
Well good luck to the both of us!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.81%
Note taking apps (6)
2.47%
Flashcards (46)
18.93%
Revision guides (15)
6.17%
Past papers (115)
47.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.29%

Watched Threads