Rejected from Oxford, did I stand a chance of being called for an interview anyway

Watch
username5853108
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Maybe they're looking for more than boring people who focus solely on top grades and "Oxford"? Because those applicants are surprisingly common.

The successful applicants I know were very bright, but also very, very interesting. What do you do outside homework that makes you interesting?

Spend less time studying and more time on things that you're passionate about. But at this point it's too late and will be seen as an attempt to look interesting.

My advice is simple. You'll be very happy and successful without Oxford. And if you won't be, then it's a sign that you wanted Oxford for the wrong reasons in the first place.
crystalgomez12
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ph1998)
Maybe they're looking for more than boring people who focus solely on top grades and "Oxford"? Because those applicants are surprisingly common.

The successful applicants I know were very bright, but also very, very interesting. What do you do outside homework that makes you interesting?

Spend less time studying and more time on things that you're passionate about. But at this point it's too late and will be seen as an attempt to look interesting.

My advice is simple. You'll be very happy and successful without Oxford. And if you won't be, then it's a sign that you wanted Oxford for the wrong reasons in the first place.
Outside of homework, I'm passionated about human rights. I read up about issues going on in different countries - Like Palestine, Afghanistan, BLM etcand I'm passionate about the current issues going on in the UK. I am interested in the way domestic violence has been impacted by 2020.

Is that still boring?

I wanted to go to Oxford because I thought it would be good for my curiosity and my interest. But Oxford isn't the only good university, I can get that elsewhere.

Thank you!
Last edited by crystalgomez12; 1 month ago
username5853108
Rep:
(Original post by crystalgomez12)
Outside of homework, I'm passionated about human rights. I read up about issues going on in different countries - Like Palestine, Afghanistan, BLM etcand I'm passionate about the current issues going on in the UK. I am interested in the way domestic violence has been impacted by 2020.

Is that still boring?

I wanted to go to Oxford because I thought it would be good for my curiosity and my interest. But Oxford isn't the only good university, I can get that elsewhere.

Thank you!
Yeah, it is boring. In the sense that you and 10000 other applicants say the same thing.

Instead of reading about it, have you actually done anything? Spent your summers volunteering in Palestine? Set up a local scheme to help those impacted by domestic violence?

Or have you done anything artistic or sporting or creative that's unrelated to your dream career? Are you passionate about anything unusual or quirky?

Everybody and their dog can read about issues and be interested in them. But the kind of person Oxford wants is the kind of person who does something.

They could dip their hand into the application pool and pull out countless booksmart applicants, all of whom could bore the pants off you at a party by banging on about Afghanistan or civil rights.

At a party, I'd rather chat to the girl who distills gin from herbs she forages in the fields locally and turned it into a cottage business, or the guy who spends his spare time racing in motocross, or the person who spent a decade learning how to take magnificent photos of birds. All of whom also have A*A*A* and go to Oxford.

So yes, you're still desperately boring!
username5853108
Rep:
Or, to put it more simply, you screwed up by focusing on things you think Oxford will find interesting, instead of things you find interesting.

And they can see through that very easily.
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, it is boring. In the sense that you and 10000 other applicants say the same thing.

Instead of reading about it, have you actually done anything? Spent your summers volunteering in Palestine? Set up a local scheme to help those impacted by domestic violence?

Or have you done anything artistic or sporting or creative that's unrelated to your dream career? Are you passionate about anything unusual or quirky?

Everybody and their dog can read about issues and be interested in them. But the kind of person Oxford wants is the kind of person who does something.

They could dip their hand into the application pool and pull out countless booksmart applicants, all of whom could bore the pants off you at a party by banging on about Afghanistan or civil rights.

At a party, I'd rather chat to the girl who distills gin from herbs she forages in the fields locally and turned it into a cottage business, or the guy who spends his spare time racing in motocross, or the person who spent a decade learning how to take magnificent photos of birds. All of whom also have A*A*A* and go to Oxford.

To be completely frank, this sounds like the kind of thing that would be of interest to US colleges, not UK universities, and I say this as someone who was rather unsuccessful at the former because I was probably too "boring" as an applicant.

As far as I'm aware, Oxford tutors really only care about one thing for admissions, which is how good would you be at your chosen subject. To that end, evidence of academic interests, abilities and achievements is much more important than ECs (Oxford's own recommendation is a personal statement should be 80% of the former, and 20% of the latter. See https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...content-tab--2). Medicine is slightly different IMO because it is also a vocation (i.e. aside from being academically inclined, one must also demonstrate the necessary attributes and understanding to be a good doctor).

OP, sorry to hear that you've been rejected, and best of luck with your other applications!
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Spoken like someone who has no ideas about Oxford applications... And evidently someone who never applied or went there.

Look at any subject's admission criteria and you'll see you're wrong. None of them mention being "sporty". Almost all of them mention reading about the subject.

The post above mine has already said the rest. So I'll just leave you with favourite quote on this topic, which was from a history tutor on an open day:

"We're not looking for well-rounded people. What we're looking for our history nerds"
username5853108
Rep:
Well in that case, the OP simply wasn't good enough. And it's time for her to move on with life instead of crying about Oxford.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5853108)

Why the emphasis on "boring"? What is your definition of "boring".

Here are some chapters written by successful applicants to Oxford. This will hopefully let you know what it takes

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480

All of them have gone that extra mile. Virtually nobody had fancy schooling, but just really got into their subject.

I really love the engineering chapter, where the applicant was crazy about rollercoasters, designed them obsessively from a young age, sent the designs to Alton Towers and got to go backstage to speak to the engineers...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%