There’s one thing I worry about with wearing a mask all day

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Ive never been adverse to wearing face masks but there’s one thing that I do worry about. I only worry about this because I’ve worn a surgical mask 8 hours per day for 18 months straight. Some studies have shown that they release nanoplastics expecially the surgical masks and that these are breathed in. Could these build up in the lungs over years? A bit like asbestos did.. I’m worried about this causing harm.

I know covid is dangerous i’l continue to wear them but how can I erase this worry from my head? Not so much a worry but I want to be in the best health possible when I’m older
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ive never been adverse to wearing face masks but there’s one thing that I do worry about. I only worry about this because I’ve worn a surgical mask 8 hours per day for 18 months straight. Some studies have shown that they release nanoplastics expecially the surgical masks and that these are breathed in. Could these build up in the lungs over years? A bit like asbestos did.. I’m worried about this causing harm.

I know covid is dangerous i’l continue to wear them but how can I erase this worry from my head? Not so much a worry but I want to be in the best health possible when I’m older
Source?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Admit-One)
Source?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7537728/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...04389420329460

Can you find any sources which confirms that there is no risk? That would make me feel better
Anonymous #1
Ive attached some studies I found above my post is being reviewed apparantly

I suppose on second thoughts it no different from breathing in fibres from clothing and say bedsheets at night (which are cm’s from your nose) is it..

Though masks are tightly concealed around the nose and I can’t speak for others but I know I’ve been wearing them for many hours straight 5 days per week for over a year and a half

I don’t know what are your thoughts?
Admit-One
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
I would reserve judgement until I’ve seen the study.

Ultimately you would need to weigh up the unknown risks of inhaling anything from a mask, versus the known risks of inhaling or expelling droplets containing COVID.
Anonymous #1

Ultimately you would need to weigh up the unknown risks of inhaling anything from a mask, versus the known risks of inhaling or expelling droplets containing COVID.
I think for me as an individual risk from covid would now be very low.

I’m basically accepting the unknown risks of continued mask wearing for other people. I just don’t want to find out in 30 years that my lungs have been damaged from micro plastic fibres or whatever
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

I’m basically accepting the unknown risks of continued mask wearing for other people. I just don’t want to find out in 30 years that my lungs have been damaged from micro plastic fibres or whatever

Only 8 hours a day you wore one - think about those working in hospitals wards wearing it upto nearly 13 hours a day and operation theatre staff been wearing those for many years long before covid19 came along.

If it is dangerous for you after 8 hours then it must be even worse for nursing staff etc wearing it nearly 13 hours a day on shifts.

There isn't any proof on this because they wouldn't be allowed to use them if this was the case..
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Very high chance the government will have killed you, or reduced your quality of life to nothing, within 30 years anyway.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Very high chance the government will have killed you, or reduced your quality of life to nothing, within 30 years anyway.
True point.
BlueBazooka
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

I've done some extremely light reading online, so I recommend you search this issue up for yourself, but it seems as though the microplastics are only released from the mask fibre when it is submerged in water? I doubt inhalation would be strong enough to dislodge anything from the woven material.
I believe the microplastics pose more of a threat to the environment in general than your lungs. That being said, disposable plastic bottles DO have microplastics that may be harmful when ingested, so limit your usage of those.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Only 8 hours a day you wore one - think about those working in hospitals wards wearing it upto nearly 13 hours a day and operation theatre staff been wearing those for many years long before covid19 came along.

If it is dangerous for you after 8 hours then it must be even worse for nursing staff etc wearing it nearly 13 hours a day on shifts.

There isn't any proof on this because they wouldn't be allowed to use them if this was the case..
Ok thanks. Yea I’m one of those on hospital wards I’m assuming that if someone did 13 hour days they would be working 3 long days per week, as opposed to 5 normal days. As you are not allowed to work more than 40 plus hours.

Yea I suppose theatre staff have that’s a bit of reassurance
Anonymous #1
Expecially if I don’t have my vaccines 😂
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Ok thanks. Yea I’m one of those on hospital wards I’m assuming that if someone did 13 hour days they would be working 3 long days per week, as opposed to 5 normal days. As you are not allowed to work more than 40 plus hours.

Yea I suppose theatre staff have that’s a bit of reassurance
Yeah I'm the one who do a long shift each and single day wearing one the whole shift and sometimes having to wear a full PPE kit if patient is covid19 positive.
I'm a midwife so I do understand this as I sometimes to have to work in theatre's for csections as the patient midwife.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BlueBazooka)
I've done some extremely light reading online, so I recommend you search this issue up for yourself, but it seems as though the microplastics are only released from the mask fibre when it is submerged in water? I doubt inhalation would be strong enough to dislodge anything from the woven material.
I believe the microplastics pose more of a threat to the environment in general than your lungs. That being said, disposable plastic bottles DO have microplastics that may be harmful when ingested, so limit your usage of those.
Cool, thanks

I posted some links above which suggests they may be a health issue but the post is waiting to be approved
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
You'll probably get more microplastics from eating seafood. If this was the case then all surgeons, nurses, dentists and other medical professionals would all report plastics in lungs.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
You'll probably get more microplastics from eating seafood. If this was the case then all surgeons, nurses, dentists and other medical professionals would all report plastics in lungs.
That's a very good point you made.

How many years dentists staff been using face masks constantly.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Cool, thanks

I posted some links above which suggests they may be a health issue but the post is waiting to be approved
Sorted :yy:
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7537728/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...04389420329460

Can you find any sources which confirms that there is no risk? That would make me feel better
No, there are risks with everything so I can't find sources to prove that

I'll have a read through these in due course, (and kudos for finding recent sources unlike a lot of posters.)

Notable from the conclusion of the second link:

"Nonetheless, the use of masks is crucial during the pandemic scenario even though they might contribute some microplastics inhalation, it is minor problem as compared with protecting humans from COVID-19."
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
No, there are risks with everything so I can't find sources to prove that

I'll have a read through these in due course, (and kudos for finding recent sources unlike a lot of posters.)

Notable from the conclusion of the second link:

"Nonetheless, the use of masks is crucial during the pandemic scenario even though they might contribute some microplastics inhalation, it is minor problem as compared with protecting humans from COVID-19."
Did anyone find any update on this?

I was thinking people develop lung problems years after say working in cotton factories are masks made out of fabric which won’t accumulate in the lungs?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago

I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (139)
29.26%
It went fairly well (228)
48%
It didn't go too well (69)
14.53%
TERRIBLE! (39)
8.21%

Watched Threads