Just how many more doors does having a degree from Oxbridge open?

Watch
kelpic
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
And more specifically in this situation: you have a degree in a field that doesn't normally have good job opportunities...let's say something like library science or nature management/conservation. Just how much better would your employment prospects be if your degree was from Oxbridge or another top 10 university?
BlueBazooka
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kelpic)
And more specifically in this situation: you have a degree in a field that doesn't normally have good job opportunities...let's say something like library science or nature management/conservation. Just how much better would your employment prospects be if your degree was from Oxbridge or another top 10 university?
I would say going to a top university definitely matters somewhat for your first job (espeecially in a field where there aren't many available), but after that it's really down to your work experience and your performance in your previous careers. Employers don't care overly about which university you attended (since you mostly just study the theory there anyway) - they just want to know if you'll do a good job in practice, based off how good (and relevant) a job you've done in the past.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (68)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.65%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
26.06%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.07%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (264)
48.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.3%

Watched Threads