I mentioned the names of A LOT of academic readings in my PS. Is that OK?

Watch
LZX2004
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I thought it was beneficial to show that I read a lot, but I am not sure if it is OK to name four or five readings and their authors. Thank anyone who answers!
journeyaway
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LZX2004)
I thought it was beneficial to show that I read a lot, but I am not sure if it is OK to name four or five readings and their authors. Thank anyone who answers!
The more important thing would be to demonstrate how those readings have motivated you to pursue that area of study, how it relates to your academic interests, and future goals (e.g. have those readings inspired you to carry out further research in these areas? Is there a gap in the literature you would like to explore?). No point in citing readings and authors without demonstrating how they are applicable to you.
LZX2004
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by journeyaway)
The more important thing would be to demonstrate how those readings have motivated you to pursue that area of study, how it relates to your academic interests, and future goals (e.g. have those readings inspired you to carry out further research in these areas? Is there a gap in the literature you would like to explore?). No point in citing readings and authors without demonstrating how they are applicable to you.
Thank you, that helps a lot. Is it acceptable to mention how the readings enriched my knowledge? This somewhat benefits my understanding on fields I am interested in.
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You aren't just telling the admissions tutors what you know - so focus on why it was interesting And quality is more important than quantity
Honey57
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They could test you on it in interviews so be careful in what you write.
journeyaway
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LZX2004)
Thank you, that helps a lot. Is it acceptable to mention how the readings enriched my knowledge? This somewhat benefits my understanding on fields I am interested in.
You can. As long as you're not quoting readings in a vacuum, and can illustrate some form of engagement with the ideas/concepts, then you'll be ok. I note what Interrobang has mentioned above re: quality over quantity - you might find it more strategic to explore e.g. two readings in-depth instead of trying to do four or five at a surface level.

A lot will also depend on the area of study you're looking to do - is it a field where references to reading will better illustrate your knowledge/academic interest? Or is it better illustrated by practice or other forms of work? I'll leave that for you to consider.

Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.22%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.11%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.15%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (262)
48.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.33%

Watched Threads