Scamming

Watch
Charlie McGhee
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was recently scammed, the person has my account number and sort code but I cancelled the card that I gave the information from and I now have a new card coming.
Is my money and my bank account safe?
sebking1109
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
They would need your card to verify a bank transfer using your account details anyway so I would think it's fine if you cancelled the card and get a new one. Ring and double check with your bank's advice line if unsure though. Better to ask them directly than here.
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Call your bank
Charlie McGhee
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by sebking1109)
They would need your card to verify a bank transfer using your account details anyway so I would think it's fine if you cancelled the card and get a new one. Ring and double check with your bank's advice line if unsure though. Better to ask them directly than here.
Thank you very much
StrawberryJaffa
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kryztof1944bomb)
i am groot, stop asking me questions.
stop answering them then??
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well it depends how you look at it.. the account isn't really safe because the account holder is vulnerable to scams... but there isn't much someone can do with just the sort code and account number.

The trouble is depending on the scam you're likely now on what's called a Sucker List, where the details of people who are known to fall for stuff get sold at a higher rate and you can expect more attempts.
Amy Stivens
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As soon as you have such a question - you need to contact customer service of your bank. I always use this site to contact my bank in case of emergency or when I have some questions.
Last edited by Amy Stivens; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.3%
October 2021 (179)
45.09%
November 2021 (42)
10.58%
December 2021 (53)
13.35%
January 2021 (44)
11.08%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.57%