I did bad on my first uni essay... am I screwed?

Watch
Stormsbravecall
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got my feedback back today for my first essay, and I got 55/100 marks, which is a low second. I don't know if it sounds bad, because I keep getting told it's good, but my friends on the course have all got firsts and I can't help but feel like i've failed. Any advice for how to pull myself back up and get better and more motivated?
user993990
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
its your first essay its not that big of a deal
Funtimes01_
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My goodness. Nothing wrong with that. A 55/100 is a 2:2 grade, if you had have got another 5 marks you would have got a 2:1. Stop worrying, this is your first essay and it clearly shows that you won't get anything below a pass for the rest of them. You will improve further also, it just takes time, more knowledge and practice.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Stormsbravecall)
I got my feedback back today for my first essay, and I got 55/100 marks, which is a low second. I don't know if it sounds bad, because I keep getting told it's good, but my friends on the course have all got firsts and I can't help but feel like i've failed. Any advice for how to pull myself back up and get better and more motivated?
Firstly it’s good a 2.2 doesn’t satisfy you, its a strong pass but ultimately I would aim for a 1st/2.1, goals & ambition is great for personal development & the cv.

It’s your first essay, the more important things is development, comparing your work to the marking rubric and finding where you fell short & why.

Be self-critical, identify your own weaknesses in your work and aim to improve it. Id also pay careful attention to the detail.

Ultimately in first year your really trying to develop your academic skills, the result here is less important then what you learn from this.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What was your feedback?

As for not feeling motivated after one small setback...
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

You do not need to feel like you have failed at all! This is a great score and do not forget that this is your first essay at a higher academic level. It is also a new level on independent study that you have not experienced before. Whilst it is hard, try not to compare yourself to other people, everyone has different strengths and experiences.

You should go through your feedback, maybe put it into a document to you can keep referring back to it. You could go through your essay and highlight where you could implement the markers suggestions. You should also highlight your strengths as this is great for motivation and will help you to acknowledge what you have done well.
You could also have a look at the marking grid in future and try to pick out where you have included each of the requirements. If you can evidence it a few times then brilliant, if not you can add some in!

Remember, first year does not count to your overall degree score. You just have to pass it to move onto the next year. This means it is a great time to work on improving your writing style, using your feedback and getting used to independent study.

I did not do as well in my first year as I would have liked but my biggest recommendation is reading! Do it before your essay so you can shape your response around it as opposed to forcing writing into your answer. It can be quite tedious but by writing it all down or even putting it into a plan, the essay practically writes itself!

I hope this helps,
Lydia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.81%
Note taking apps (6)
2.47%
Flashcards (46)
18.93%
Revision guides (15)
6.17%
Past papers (115)
47.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise