wifd149's last fight to end my law degree with a bang!!!

Watch
wifd149
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Quick update:

I have wasted a week not doing any revision nor do any readings for my assignments due the end of next month, but thank God that I woke up feeling much better after yesterday’s traumatic events of trying to get a rental property for the next term :blushing: Cried a lot, whined a lot too in the past week, and made separate thread about it all. I swear that I learned a lot about what strategies and techniques to use and not use to get a good property and better agency next time :dumbells:

Thank God also, that I woke up feeling a bit more motivated to do my work later in the day. Meanwhile I will probably watch some study vlogs and/or fun videos on YT, then nap/sleep for about 2 hours more.

Fun fact: this is my second time typing this out because my tablet lagged and lost the last draft :boring:

Will update on my plans of attacking my work later!
Last edited by wifd149; 4 weeks ago
journeyaway
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
While I didn't do my Law degree in the UK (assuming that's where you're based), reading some of your posts really takes me back. I agree with what you mentioned about the importance of sleep schedules - sorting that out at the first instance will make you feel so much better, and does result in better concentration/productivity.

I see some problems, like getting a rental property and a better agency, are universal. Sometimes things are really just that unfair!
wifd149
Rep:
(Original post by journeyaway)
While I didn't do my Law degree in the UK (assuming that's where you're based), reading some of your posts really takes me back. I agree with what you mentioned about the importance of sleep schedules - sorting that out at the first instance will make you feel so much better, and does result in better concentration/productivity.

I see some problems, like getting a rental property and a better agency, are universal. Sometimes things are really just that unfair!
The occasional nostalgic trips are fun and nice at times, glad to take you down the memory lane and I am hoping that your memories of law school is actually great

Yes, I am studying law in the UK and the problems of rental properties are sadly, very universal. It’s just with the current times, it’s much harder; I am honestly praying that when either me or my current partner moves in, the property will be in good condition and decently clean :^_^:
rijul shah
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by wifd149)
Quick update:

I have wasted a week not doing any revision nor do any readings for my assignments due the end of next month, but thank God that I woke up feeling much better after yesterday’s traumatic events of trying to get a rental property for the next term :blushing: Cried a lot, whined a lot too in the past week, and made separate thread about it all. I swear that I learned a lot about what strategies and techniques to use and not use to get a good property and better agency next time :dumbells:

Thank God also, that I woke up feeling a bit more motivated to do my work later in the day. Meanwhile I will probably watch some study vlogs and/or fun videos on YT, then nap/sleep for about 2 hours more.

Fun fact: this is my second time typing this out because my tablet lagged and lost the last draft :boring:

Will update on my plans of attacking my work later!
Ohh man! I hope you feel better. I have finished all my exams and I am relaxing at home atm for Christmas. I have a lot of stuff to do too. But I have been relaxing sm since exams finished. I probably should get on with being productive from today.
Catherine1973
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey good luck with it.

One thing that helped me was doing one page summaries of the topics. What did the lectures cover, and then how did the readings fit into that. Did I have an article /case in most parts of the topic (even if I haven’t read it yet)
I understand procrastinating well. I finished the llb last year, doing the masters in law now, exams end January and still spent every study afternoon this week just surfing. And I am nearly 50! Shall be better after Xmas. Have printed articles to read at my parents!
journeyaway
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The occasional nostalgic trips are fun and nice at times, glad to take you down the memory lane and I am hoping that your memories of law school is actually great

Yes, I am studying law in the UK and the problems of rental properties are sadly, very universal. It’s just with the current times, it’s much harder; I am honestly praying that when either me or my current partner moves in, the property will be in good condition and decently clean :^_^:
A lot of it was great, but I recall Torts being my WORST Law paper ever. I almost failed one of the assignments and recall sitting in front of my Professor, trying to figure out where everything went wrong...

EDIT: now that I think about it, my Contract Law was pretty garbage too lol.

I still graduated with a First though, so hang in there! It's great to hear your motivations, and I'll be following your thread too
Last edited by journeyaway; 4 weeks ago
Catherine1973
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Tort this year was the worse for our group with an average of 55! (Other subjects all around 65%).

I got 72, I liked tort, nice logical structure to follow for all problem questions.

Have you tried the q&a revision guides?
wifd149
Rep:
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Hey good luck with it.

One thing that helped me was doing one page summaries of the topics. What did the lectures cover, and then how did the readings fit into that. Did I have an article /case in most parts of the topic (even if I haven’t read it yet)
I understand procrastinating well. I finished the llb last year, doing the masters in law now, exams end January and still spent every study afternoon this week just surfing. And I am nearly 50! Shall be better after Xmas. Have printed articles to read at my parents!
The fact that you can study well at that age gives me hope that I can practice long-life learning meaningfully I have been seeing way too much articles on whether or not you can learn new languages after 25, and a lot of them kept saying "you can but it will take a very long time" like an afterthought.
wifd149
Rep:
A lot of it was great, but I recall Torts being my WORST Law paper ever. I almost failed one of the assignments and recall sitting in front of my Professor, trying to figure out where everything went wrong...

EDIT: now that I think about it, my Contract Law was pretty garbage too lol.

I still graduated with a First though, so hang in there! It's great to hear your motivations, and I'll be following your thread too
Wow! :yep: That's good, I really want to graduate with a First too! But sometimes I question if I even have the skills to give incredible answers though, knowing what to do, what to include, what to talk about, and developing the skills really take a long time for them to kick in for me - it's been more than 2 years and I am still struggling like hell :dontknow: Granted I am also a lazy person.
wifd149
Rep:
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Tort this year was the worse for our group with an average of 55! (Other subjects all around 65%).

I got 72, I liked tort, nice logical structure to follow for all problem questions.

Have you tried the q&a revision guides?
I used the Q&A guide for Equity and Trusts before, 68% (-10% for late submission of a few minutes :no:) and 65% for essays and problem questions. Some are useful mostly for problem questions.

Though I think that journeyaway didn't study law in the UK and had already graduated.
wifd149
Rep:
(Original post by rijul shah)
Ohh man! I hope you feel better. I have finished all my exams and I am relaxing at home atm for Christmas. I have a lot of stuff to do too. But I have been relaxing sm since exams finished. I probably should get on with being productive from today.
Thanks mate My mum is in a bit of a panicky mood, so she still wants to talk about me later, and my dad is kinda too (he wants me to keep seeing my paternal grandparents until then, which makes it kinda inconvenient). I am gloomy about this in all honesty; it's hard for them to stick to their final word :cry: They think that the moment I move out I'm going to die somewhere down the road because I moved out :confused: Anyone can die at any time to be honest, falling random debris and whatnot

I will try to get on with life too, get emotionally better, and start my assignments honestly. No one is really making it easy for me and I'm pretty bummed about that.
journeyaway
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yep - Law graduate from New Zealand, though studied a lot of the key foundational cases from the UK

Some things are universal it seems, because Torts was the worst subject for our year too.
wifd149
Rep:
Yep - Law graduate from New Zealand, though studied a lot of the key foundational cases from the UK

Some things are universal it seems, because Torts was the worst subject for our year too.
It's an odd thing though, torts is easy to understand conceptually but somehow answering their problem questions is tricky. You don't know what to include within the word limit and if the steps are in the right order, but it does depend on how your course is taught maybe. I cited all cases correctly but my mark went down a lot because apparently I didn't explain the steps explicitly.
journeyaway
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
It's an odd thing though, torts is easy to understand conceptually but somehow answering their problem questions is tricky. You don't know what to include within the word limit and if the steps are in the right order, but it does depend on how your course is taught maybe. I cited all cases correctly but my mark went down a lot because apparently I didn't explain the steps explicitly.
Agreed - Torts is easy to understand but for whatever reason, difficult to do well in. I think my problem could have been similar to yours - perhaps not properly applying the case law to the problem at hand...

What you mentioned in your previous post about taking a long time to develop skills, and being concerned about what to include/what not to include - certainly most Law students have felt that before. It's a testament to you knowing how much you do not know, which separates you out from the over-confident ones!
wifd149
Rep:
Agreed - Torts is easy to understand but for whatever reason, difficult to do well in. I think my problem could have been similar to yours - perhaps not properly applying the case law to the problem at hand...

What you mentioned in your previous post about taking a long time to develop skills, and being concerned about what to include/what not to include - certainly most Law students have felt that before. It's a testament to you knowing how much you do not know, which separates you out from the over-confident ones!
Thanks mate :hugs: What's tricky is that clearly I am an emotional person and that gets in the way of my work/productivity far too much, in turn it makes me lazy - but it has been a goal of mine to cope or overcome this. I can tell that I am somewhere better off than last year, so I suppose that there is some improvement.

So what are you up to now?
journeyaway
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks mate :hugs: What's tricky is that clearly I am an emotional person and that gets in the way of my work/productivity far too much, in turn it makes me lazy - but it has been a goal of mine to cope or overcome this. I can tell that I am somewhere better off than last year, so I suppose that there is some improvement.

So what are you up to now?
University life is complicated and there are so many learning curves - not just in your studies, but life as well (thinking again of the renting situation). I'm glad to hear that you're better off than last year - it takes maturity to acknowledge less than ideal situations, and take steps to improve them.

Ah, I graduated in 2017, then spent some time working as a Solicitor in a corporate firm. Pivoted to the public policy field for a law enforcement government agency, where I still get to use a lot of my legal skills (so I work full time). I joined TSR a few months ago, as I'm keen on postgraduate study in the UK for 2022/23. In the process of hustling for scholarships, getting life admin sorted, trying to motivate myself to participate in some essay competitions for young professionals...just lots of 'extra-curricular'-y stuff too.
wifd149
Rep:
University life is complicated and there are so many learning curves - not just in your studies, but life as well (thinking again of the renting situation). I'm glad to hear that you're better off than last year - it takes maturity to acknowledge less than ideal situations, and take steps to improve them.

Ah, I graduated in 2017, then spent some time working as a Solicitor in a corporate firm. Pivoted to the public policy field for a law enforcement government agency, where I still get to use a lot of my legal skills (so I work full time). I joined TSR a few months ago, as I'm keen on postgraduate study in the UK for 2022/23. In the process of hustling for scholarships, getting life admin sorted, trying to motivate myself to participate in some essay competitions for young professionals...just lots of 'extra-curricular'-y stuff too.
The first part is sooo true, I remember having horrid difficulties when I started to live alone for the first time :eek: It's good to know that I am maturing somehow :fisheye: The learning curves are pretty steep, not gonna lie.

That's an interesting journey though! What part/area of public policy are you interested in? I am guessing maybe criminal, but regulations are in everything though. So what made you like public policy more than corporate?

I am also thinking about whether I should pursue a Masters too. I did some work with my local area's council on public policies regarding planning permission, some environmental projects, and pensions before. The entire process was gruesome in some ways and their work was surprisingly detailed with a good amount of interaction with the public/locals. Though the work was more researching for the whole process rather than focusing only on the legal aspects. Public policy is a very wide area, even I am not sure what areas I could do should I want to do it :rofl:

I pray that you'll get the scholarship that you want! :dancing: Your profile sounds pretty solid to me
journeyaway
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The first part is sooo true, I remember having horrid difficulties when I started to live alone for the first time :eek: It's good to know that I am maturing somehow :fisheye: The learning curves are pretty steep, not gonna lie.

That's an interesting journey though! What part/area of public policy are you interested in? I am guessing maybe criminal, but regulations are in everything though. So what made you like public policy more than corporate?

I am also thinking about whether I should pursue a Masters too. I did some work with my local area's council on public policies regarding planning permission, some environmental projects, and pensions before. The entire process was gruesome in some ways and their work was surprisingly detailed with a good amount of interaction with the public/locals. Though the work was more researching for the whole process rather than focusing only on the legal aspects. Public policy is a very wide area, even I am not sure what areas I could do should I want to do it :rofl:

I pray that you'll get the scholarship that you want! :dancing: Your profile sounds pretty solid to me
You're right on the dot, actually - it's criminal. I did my Law Honours dissertation on criminal justice, so the interest was already there, but definitely wasn't going to say no to a job offer from a law firm just to get myself started. Basically waited until the time was right, and when policy job roles were available. There were also other factors at play - I was under a lot of pressure at work, working until 11pm/12am most nights, working weekends etc.

Ah, you've been exposed to the follies and wonders of local council public policy. I have a friend who works in that area too (though in NZ), and she enjoys it though thinks it's rather chaotic. It seems like you've already done some consultation work too, and perhaps faced some angry music from the locals? People do get rather passionate about local council issues, including things like zoning, infrastructure resilience, and dog laws. The great thing about public policy is that it's applicable to most areas of interest - whatever the profession or subject matter, there's always some policy wraparound. Your legal background would be an asset because law tends to dictate policy, and policy tends to get transformed into primary or secondary regulation. Did you overall enjoy the experience?

When would you consider doing a Masters, and what kind of Masters would you look to do?
wifd149
Rep:
You're right on the dot, actually - it's criminal. I did my Law Honours dissertation on criminal justice, so the interest was already there, but definitely wasn't going to say no to a job offer from a law firm just to get myself started. Basically waited until the time was right, and when policy job roles were available. There were also other factors at play - I was under a lot of pressure at work, working until 11pm/12am most nights, working weekends etc.

Ah, you've been exposed to the follies and wonders of local council public policy. I have a friend who works in that area too (though in NZ), and she enjoys it though thinks it's rather chaotic. It seems like you've already done some consultation work too, and perhaps faced some angry music from the locals? People do get rather passionate about local council issues, including things like zoning, infrastructure resilience, and dog laws. The great thing about public policy is that it's applicable to most areas of interest - whatever the profession or subject matter, there's always some policy wraparound. Your legal background would be an asset because law tends to dictate policy, and policy tends to get transformed into primary or secondary regulation. Did you overall enjoy the experience?

When would you consider doing a Masters, and what kind of Masters would you look to do?
Ohhh... That's cool, criminal law is actually one of my worser subjects (since it's one of the two subjects that I've got a 2:2 in) :rolleyes: I did some chambering work in criminal before. At that time it was mostly prostitution, domestic abuse cases, and one murder that involved a man's head being cleaved open. I didn't like the job personally, though it was the type of work where it gets varied a lot and surprisingly fast-paced since you have limited timings to remand a person.

I actually enjoyed the public policy/council one Although I would much prefer to be put into a position that doesn't necessarily need me to use many hats, so maybe I would consider a job in public policy that would be focused on one area or one main task most of the time. For instance, researching in a think tank. I like negotiating and talking with different people and parties too, so that's a plus. I don't how much of late working I could take regularly either. The internship that I did most recently have had good hours for me since I didn't have to go over-time often, and I kind of realised that was a privilege not all people in the same industry could get

I like the commercial legal industries too, not only firms but in-house work as well. Honestly, so far I haven't been successful with them but I am the kind who is considering changing careers in the future. For the firm, I have gone to the assessment centre and interview once (it was the only place I applied to). For the in-house internship, I managed to get the interview and they did ask me about working overtime and during the weekends, I said that I was alright with both. Was unsuccessful at both; about the firm I am not as bothered at that time, my friend got it and he managed to have them sponsor his LPC (to become a solicitor), whereas for the in-house one I kinda messed up a contract law scenario so :bawling: Thankfully I got the last internship on legal researching/ a bit of chambering and their work hours were good, so it wasn't all for naught at least.

For Masters I am not so sure yet, it is most likely that I will do the bar this upcoming September and would maybe do a Masters after that before I start taking a full-time office job. I am far too interested in many areas, so I am just considering between a general/taught LLM, finance and law, and management? A lot of this would depend on my final year results and what university ends up accepting me, so we'll see I guess. There is also a tiny chance that maybe I could pursue a Masters 3-10 years down the line once I start working, but I'm not sure if I would want to engage in full-time academics again by that time. I enjoy constantly learning new things to improve myself and my performance and I know that doesn't need to happen in academia, so yeah.
Last edited by wifd149; 4 weeks ago
rijul shah
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Ohhh... That's cool, criminal law is actually one of my worser subjects (since it's one of the two subjects that I've got a 2:2 in) :rolleyes: I did some chambering work in criminal before. At that time it was mostly prostitution, domestic abuse cases, and one murder that involved a man's head being cleaved open. I didn't like the job personally, though it was the type of work where it gets varied a lot and surprisingly fast-paced since you have limited timings to remand a person.

I actually enjoyed the public policy/council one Although I would much prefer to be put into a position that doesn't necessarily need me to use many hats, so maybe I would consider a job in public policy that would be focused on one area or one main task most of the time. For instance, researching in a think tank. I like negotiating and talking with different people and parties too, so that's a plus. I don't how much of late working I could take regularly either. The internship that I did most recently have had good hours for me since I didn't have to go over-time often, and I kind of realised that was a privilege not all people in the same industry could get

I like the commercial legal industries too, not only firms but in-house work as well. Honestly, so far I haven't been successful with them but I am the kind who is considering changing careers in the future. For the firm, I have gone to the assessment centre and interview once (it was the only place I applied to). For the in-house internship, I managed to get the interview and they did ask me about working overtime and during the weekends, I said that I was alright with both. Was unsuccessful at both; about the firm I am not as bothered at that time, my friend got it and he managed to have them sponsor his LPC (to become a solicitor), whereas for the in-house one I kinda messed up a contract law scenario so :bawling: Thankfully I got the last internship on legal researching/ a bit of chambering and their work hours were good, so it wasn't all for naught at least.

For Masters I am not so sure yet, it is most likely that I will do the bar this upcoming September and would maybe do a Masters after that before I start taking a full-time office job. I am far too interested in many areas, so I am just considering between a general/taught LLM, finance and law, and management? A lot of this would depend on my final year results and what university ends up accepting me, so we'll see I guess. There is also a tiny chance that maybe I could pursue a Masters 3-10 years down the line once I start working, but I'm not sure if I would want to engage in full-time academics again by that time. I enjoy constantly learning new things to improve myself and my performance and I know that doesn't need to happen in academia, so yeah.
Which firm did you get an AC? Dude give me advice!?
Last edited by rijul shah; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (18)
7.29%
October 2021 (117)
47.37%
November 2021 (25)
10.12%
December 2021 (32)
12.96%
January 2021 (21)
8.5%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.53%