Personal statement advice

Watch
world2change
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I finished my personal statement and my referee reviewed it and said its ok to go which I agreed.
Then I gave my personal statement to my form tutor who said I still need some work done around it and its lacking some stuff
I talked about work experience, volunteering ,extracurriculars and online courses that I done on future learn where I read some articles that i added on my personal statement, but my form tutor says I still lack any wider reading on my personal statement and some parts she said I dont really agree on I should do, as it may make my personal statement sound weird. - ie not original.

I feel like Im ready to submit it on UCAS but what she said to me is kinda bothering me and Im procrastinating whether my personal statement is good enough anyway and Im running out of time. Im kinda worried since I just asked one person from school (referee) for feedback and my family, I thought I may be lacking opinion so thats why I asked my form tutor.

What should I do? Should I follow advice despite it may take some time, or should I just submit it since I feel confident about it?
Last edited by world2change; 1 month ago
world2change
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
My course is biomed sciences
My referee is a a level biology teacher and my form tutor is a a level maths teacher but is critical when giving advice for uni btw
timleebcu
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are you applying for basically the same course in all your choices? If so is the thinking that you could make more of your wider reading better related to that? If you have a range of courses then that becomes harder.

From the perspective of someone reading them (real estate course leader at Birmingham City) it really helps to see some relevant interest and awareness. In reading these we realise that everyone has different levels of availability of options to put for work experience and extra curricular activities and that is factored in as much as possible into our assessments. What sort of wider reading are they thinking of and what do you have so far?

To some extent this is also affected by the competitiveness of your choices - if you're looking at Imperial for Chemistry or some such then you are probably competing for places against other people and need to make yourself stand out. If you are applying for more vocational at newer universities where a lot of students are the first in the family to attend university then the personal statement is often more to get your across the line if you're borderline with your final results - therefore showing interest and awareness in the subject area can really help. For me I want to see some genuine interest in the subject - so if come results day it isn't as good as it could have been I can give someone the benefit of the doubt and still get them their university place.
world2change
Rep:
(Original post by timleebcu)
Are you applying for basically the same course in all your choices? If so is the thinking that you could make more of your wider reading better related to that? If you have a range of courses then that becomes harder.

From the perspective of someone reading them (real estate course leader at Birmingham City) it really helps to see some relevant interest and awareness. In reading these we realise that everyone has different levels of availability of options to put for work experience and extra curricular activities and that is factored in as much as possible into our assessments. What sort of wider reading are they thinking of and what do you have so far?

To some extent this is also affected by the competitiveness of your choices - if you're looking at Imperial for Chemistry or some such then you are probably competing for places against other people and need to make yourself stand out. If you are applying for more vocational at newer universities where a lot of students are the first in the family to attend university then the personal statement is often more to get your across the line if you're borderline with your final results - therefore showing interest and awareness in the subject area can really help. For me I want to see some genuine interest in the subject - so if come results day it isn't as good as it could have been I can give someone the benefit of the doubt and still get them their university place.
Wow I didnt think of it like that thank you
Im applying for the same course - biomedical science for all my uni choices. The wider reading so far is a online coures that contain many research articles aboit drug development and genetics and research studies from different unis. I read them all and picked the best one honestly that interested me the most since I am limited with my characters. I read a book about the importance of research and ethics which I implemented in my personal statement as well and expressed my passion into it. My form tutor said I should read another book and put it into my personal statement but honestly I dont think I have the time much to finish it now and put it into my personal statement before my schools deadline. My biology teacher said its ok since I covered a lot and basically gave me advice about science courses and what they looked for. My form tutor said it doesnt stand out much and put more reading material in it but Im running out of characters.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
"Extra reading" (or 'supercurriculars') can definitely include online courses, lectures etc. It doesn't have to be books/articles. As long as you focus on why it was interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (63)
22.34%
Note taking apps (6)
2.13%
Flashcards (54)
19.15%
Revision guides (16)
5.67%
Past papers (132)
46.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (11)
3.9%

Watched Threads