The Student Room Group

Will I get in?

I really want to go to uni but my school say it's not worth me applying. My predicted grades are DDE and I do Media, PE and Music. I wanted to follow my mums steps by applying for Chemistry and French. I'm thinking about applying to UCL, St Andrews, Imperial, Edinburugh and Durham. Do you think it is worth it?
Well done on your predicteds. I think you will get in realisitically, this year is way easier because of covid loads of applicants died so there is less competiton. You might not get into Durham and UCL because theyre quite small im not sure.
I think maybe look at other establishments.
Reply 3
With all due respects, your grades aren't good enough. You, yourself, know this. So why go through all this effort to troll?
Original post by 789oph
I really want to go to uni but my school say it's not worth me applying. My predicted grades are DDE and I do Media, PE and Music. I wanted to follow my mums steps by applying for Chemistry and French. I'm thinking about applying to UCL, St Andrews, Imperial, Edinburugh and Durham. Do you think it is worth it?

You need to be realistic about this.

1) You could apply to neither chemistry nor French because you are not doing remotely the right A levels to apply for those subjects.
2) Those universities are at the A*AA - AAA range. You've been predicted DDE...

Take some advice from your school and careers advisors. Is university really the right path for you, or is there something vocational, or maybe an apprenticeship you could look at instead?
Um... you're doing those A levels but want to apply for chemistry and french? how on earth are you planning to do that?
Reply 6
Original post by 789oph

I would look around at Access courses. It is possible to get into a STEM degree via one. I know this because my bf got 1 A Level and that was an E grade in Math. He did the Interdisciplinery year at Leeds and did exceptionally well with a 90% average. This allowed him to move onto and graduate with a degree in Maths at Leeds Uni.

Additionally some uni's will accept access courses from other uni's. So you could go do a year somewhere, then apply to see if you can transfer to a uni you prefer.

Another option is to do a degree apprenticeship. One that may not be pure Chem or French, but you could look to see if theres any within fields that apply those subjects.

There are certainely plenty of options out there for you, A Levels do provide a straightforward way into uni, but uni's have become far more accomodating and understanding of other qualifications.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by summerbirdreads
Um... you're doing those A levels but want to apply for chemistry and french? how on earth are you planning to do that?

Suspect troll - or just a time-waster.

Please don't add any more responses.
Try a foundation or access course and you won't get an offer from those places with those grades.
OP now banned. If you see any suspicious threads like this one, please feel free to use the report flag.

Latest

Trending

Trending