Transformations and Modulus Question Help

Watch
Alex159
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I need help with part d of this question but ive attached all of the questions below too.
I set one side equal to 0 as they intersect at y = 0 but im not sure what to do after that. I assume you need to remove the ln but im not sure how.
My working/thought process:
I'm thinking after plotting the graphs they intersect at (2, 0) when a is 0. There is only one point of intersection. Therefore, I set the modulus side to 0 as y = 0 and then multiplied by e to get 0 = -e^(1/2x - a). I then set 1/2x - a to 0, making x = 2a. after subbing in (2,0) i know that when a is 0, x is 2. Then i get y = 2a + 2 but im not sure if thats right or if my method to get there is correct.
Thanks in advance

1. The curve y = ln x is transformed to the curve y = (1/2x - a) by means of translation followed by a stretch. It is given that a is a positive constant.
a) Give full details of the translation and stretch involved
b)Sketch y = ln(1/2x - a)
c) Sketch y = |ln(1/2x - a)|
d) State, in terms of a, the set of values of x for which |ln(1/2x - a)| = -ln(1/2x - a)
Attached files
Last edited by Alex159; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alex159)
Hi, I need help with part 4 of this question
I set one side equal to 0 as they intersect at y = 0 but im not sure what to do after that. I assume you need to remove the ln but im not sure how.
Thanks in advance

1. The curve y = ln x is transformed to the curve y = (1/2x - a) by means of translation followed by a stretch. It is given that a is a positive constant.
d) State, in terms of a, the set of values of x for which |ln(1/2x - a)| = -ln(1/2x - a)
Please post your working
Alex159
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Please post your working
edited the post with info
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
edited the post with info
You really need to upload the whole question [see the forum rules] ... I'll try to check later but have a lot of stuff to do this evening [which is why it's useful to see working so I don't have to do the question from the beginning]
BlueBazooka
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I need help with part d of this question but ive attached all of the questions below too.
My working/thought process:
I'm thinking after plotting the graphs they intersect at (2, 0) when a is 0. There is only one point of intersection. Therefore, I set the modulus side to 0 as y = 0 and then multiplied by e to get 0 = -e^(1/2x - a). I then set 1/2x - a to 0, making x = 2a. after subbing in (2,0) i know that when a is 0, x is 2. Then i get y = 2a + 2 but im not sure if thats right or if my method to get there is correct.
Thanks in advance

For part d, the modulus of the ln function will only equal the negative of the ln function if the ln function itself equals 0 (since 0 = -0) or is negative (since a double negative is always positive, just as the modulus of a function is always positive). So you can solve the equation ln((1/2)x- a) <= 0 to receive your set of solutions. Just remember to include x > 2a in the result, as you can't take the ln of anything less than or equal to 0.
I imagine using your graph sketches as you have done is a valid alternative route to take with this question instead btw, but I personally prefer the algebraic approach.
Reply here if you need help solving the equation.
Last edited by BlueBazooka; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6%
October 2021 (97)
48.5%
November 2021 (20)
10%
December 2021 (30)
15%
January 2021 (16)
8%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (20)
10%