What A Levels should I choose in order to study law?

Watch
Jessalynne
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently, I am taking my GCSEs so I need to submit my application to 6th Form within the next couple of weeks. I'm planning on taking English lit and lang, history, and psychology for A level.

In the future, I am considering applying to Oxford as my main option. My other 4 choices are King's College London, University College London, Durham University, and Bristol University.

Preferably I would like to get into Oxford or one of the universities in London but I want to know what A-levels should I be choosing since I want to pursue a career in law. I'm unsure if I should be choosing philosophy over psychology and whether it taking psychology would be better respected for a university such as Oxford.

I'm also wondering if it would hinder my chances of getting into Oxford since I haven't really chosen any STEM subjects as I do not enjoy studying them and I know I won't get as high of a grade in A level as if I took a subject such as English instead.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jessalynne)
Currently, I am taking my GCSEs so I need to submit my application to 6th Form within the next couple of weeks. I'm planning on taking English lit and lang, history, and psychology for A level.

In the future, I am considering applying to Oxford as my main option. My other 4 choices are King's College London, University College London, Durham University, and Bristol University.

Preferably I would like to get into Oxford or one of the universities in London but I want to know what A-levels should I be choosing since I want to pursue a career in law. I'm unsure if I should be choosing philosophy over psychology and whether it taking psychology would be better respected for a university such as Oxford.

I'm also wondering if it would hinder my chances of getting into Oxford since I haven't really chosen any STEM subjects as I do not enjoy studying them and I know I won't get as high of a grade in A level as if I took a subject such as English instead.
Check the course son the unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects.
Generally though, there aren't any specific subjects required for law. Essay type subjects are usually useful though, such as History, english lit etc etc.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Law has no required subjects - an essay subject is often useful, but not mandatory. You've got more than one of those, anyway.

I don't know why you think you should be doing STEM subjects to apply for law...isn't it obvious that you don't need to be doing maths or physics to be studying law...?

Either philosophy or psychology are fine - pick whichever one you're more likely to get an A* in.
Jessalynne
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Law has no required subjects - an essay subject is often useful, but not mandatory. You've got more than one of those, anyway.

I don't know why you think you should be doing STEM subjects to apply for law...isn't it obvious that you don't need to be doing maths or physics to be studying law...?

Either philosophy or psychology are fine - pick whichever one you're more likely to get an A* in.
Thank you for the response!

I heard that lots of people took at least 1 STEM subject when studying law so I wasn't sure if I had to take one too. I'm interested in studying criminal law but I would like to keep my mind open for other laws such as corporate. I know that corporate does require a bit of maths but do I need to take it at A level? I'm predicted a high grade for my GCSE in maths so would that be fine?

I would ideally like to do law but I have a backup option. I feel like the subjects I have chosen won't open me up to many job opportunities in the future, unlike someone who's taken subjects such as maths and science for A level so I've been told. In general, would that be a good pick in general regardless of me wanting to do law or not?
Jessalynne
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
Check the course son the unis websites to see if they specify any particular subjects.
Generally though, there aren't any specific subjects required for law. Essay type subjects are usually useful though, such as History, english lit etc etc.
Thanks for the response!

There aren't any specified subjects that I have to take. All it requires me to do is take an essay writing subject. Apart from that, nothing else is mentioned.
Last edited by Jessalynne; 1 month ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the response!

I heard that lots of people took at least 1 STEM subject when studying law so I wasn't sure if I had to take one too. I'm interested in studying criminal law but I would like to keep my mind open for other laws such as corporate. I know that corporate does require a bit of maths but do I need to take it at A level? I'm predicted a high grade for my GCSE in maths so would that be fine?
Not sure where you're getting this information from, but there is no need for maths to do 'corporate law'! Are you sure you're not getting mixed up with IB or something? You need to be prepared to study a wide range of legal topics and areas - you will cover many during your law degree and though you may well be able to choose some 'corporate' options, you will also need to do tort, land, equity etc.
I would ideally like to do law but I have a backup option. I feel like the subjects I have chosen won't open me up to many job opportunities in the future, unlike someone who's taken subjects such as maths and science for A level so I've been told. In general, would that be a good pick in general regardless of me wanting to do law or not?
Those subjects are fine for a range of degrees, so long as you don't want to do anything scientific at uni (psychology on its own probably wouldn't be enough for a science-based course).
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the response!

There aren't any specified subjects that I have to take. All it requires me to do is take an essay writing subject. Apart from that, nothing else is mentioned.
Try to pick at least one essay subject (if you are thinking of taking history and english then thats fine). Also pick subjects you enjoy and you are good at/will get a decent grade in.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You need 3 high A level grades - so choose 3 subjects you enjoy and where you feel confident of those high grades.
For LLB Law it does not matter what those subjects are.
ellie.bt
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I'm in Y13 and applied for LLB Law this year, and i'm taking English Lit, History and Economics with an EPQ.

It definitely doesn't matter which A-Levels you choose so long as you get the grades you need. I think taking essay based subjects will put you in a good position to do law but if you want to do a STEM subject it definitely wouldn't hold you back! Not choosing a STEM subject wouldn't put you in a worse position either.

I would say do what you enjoy, if you think you'll prefer psychology, go for it! At the end of the day, it's about the grades.

If you have any questions lmk
bala~~
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Oh hey! I'm interested in doing criminal law too. Also for University, I am considering applying for Oxford or maybe Cambridge. I just submitted my Personal Statement for sixth-form and I am planning to do Politics, History, English Literature and Biology. Many students tend to take a STEM subject because it gets complicated if you have all essay writing courses but other than that I'm pretty sure there is no need to take one if you're more likely to get better grades in other subjects. Best of luck with your future endeavours!
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, would it be okay if you could fill out my form for my EPQ please, it will only take two minutes. My question is "Are juries used fairly in France compared to juries in England and Wales?"

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fIV...edit#responses
nsnsjss
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
def History...there's a lot on Supreme Court decisions, acts, amendments, bills, governments structure, de jure vs de facto material that is relevant to Law!

by the way I take literally all 4 of those subjects you mentioned above + french
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.19%
October 2021 (223)
44.51%
November 2021 (60)
11.98%
December 2021 (64)
12.77%
January 2021 (60)
11.98%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.58%