***Application Help From Former Morgan Stanley Employee***

Watch
Itsfurreal
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi All - I'm offering advice and support for those applying to spring weeks / summer internships / industrial placements in investment banking and S&T.

A little about me: I worked at Morgan Stanley in the Institutional Equities Division (within sales and trading) for over a year on the industrial placement scheme, and have done a summer internship at HSBC in Global Markets. I've been through the process of applying to these schemes multiple times at all the big banks so I know what they are looking for in an excellent application.

I offer a range of services, DM me prices/details or for specific requests:

- Full CV review
- Full Cover Letter review
- Successful CV & Cover Letter examples
- Tailored interview help

Good luck to everyone applying!
Last edited by Itsfurreal; 1 month ago
Manvith
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Itsfurreal)
Hi All - I'm offering advice and support for those applying to spring weeks / summer internships / industrial placements in investment banking and S&T.

A little about me: I worked at Morgan Stanley in the Institutional Equities Division (within sales and trading) for over a year on the industrial placement scheme, and have done a summer internship at HSBC in Global Markets. I've been through the process of applying to these schemes multiple times at all the big banks so I know what they are looking for in an excellent application.

I offer a range of services, DM me prices/details or for specific requests:

- Full CV review
- Full Cover Letter review
- CV and Cover Letter review package
- Tailored interview help

Good luck to everyone applying!
For which university did you go?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
(Original post by Manvith)
For which university did you go?
Hi Manvith - I studied economics and finance at the University of Exeter
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi Manvith - I studied economics and finance at the University of Exeter
Do you know what are the target and semi-target universities that banks target?
anonuser99
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you know what are the target and semi-target universities that banks target?
No way you're not a troll at this point with the amount of times people have answered this question for you.
Itsfurreal
Rep:
Targets: Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick

Semi Targets: Exeter, Bristol, Bath, Durham
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Targets: Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE, Warwick

Semi Targets: Exeter, Bristol, Bath, Durham
Nottingham and QMUL?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
Nottingham and QMUL?
Neither are targets. I know a few people in banking who went to Nottingham, don't know anyone from QMUL
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Neither are targets. I know a few people in banking who went to Nottingham, don't know anyone from QMUL
Then is Nottingham a semi-target?

what types of subjects do most people study in university who work in investment banking?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
Then is Nottingham a semi-target?

what types of subjects do most people study in university who work in investment banking?
I would say no, that doesn't mean you can't get into banking if you go there, it just means you're less likely to have employer events and the uni most likely won't have a relationship with any of the big banks which means less tailored application support.

You can pretty much study anything and get into IB. The only real criteria is that you're smart and work hard. I know people who did biology, languages, history etc.

That being said, physics/mechanics/comp sci grads tend to do well as it's proof you're at least pretty smart, and economics/finance will of course give you a good level of basic knowledge.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would say no, that doesn't mean you can't get into banking if you go there, it just means you're less likely to have employer events and the uni most likely won't have a relationship with any of the big banks which means less tailored application support.

You can pretty much study anything and get into IB. The only real criteria is that you're smart and work hard. I know people who did biology, languages, history etc.

That being said, physics/mechanics/comp sci grads tend to do well as it's proof you're at least pretty smart, and economics/finance will of course give you a good level of basic knowledge.
Does the same targets and semi-targets apply to middle office and back office roles?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
Does the same targets and semi-targets apply to middle office and back office roles?
No only to front office. Middle and back office are much less selective in terms of university.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I have received offers from Bath, Nottingham, and Bristol. Which is better to get a job in an investment bank and to which university will they hold most employer events?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
I have received offers from Bath, Nottingham, and Bristol. Which is better to get a job in an investment bank and to which university will they hold most employer events?
For what subject? Bath has very good links to banking and many of the people I worked with at Morgan Stanley went there so that would be my top pick. Bristol second and Notts last.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For what subject? Bath has very good links to banking and many of the people I worked with at Morgan Stanley went there so that would be my top pick. Bristol second and Notts last.
all for BSc economics?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
all for BSc economics?
Got it, yeah I would say Bath, then Bristol, the Notts
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Got it, yeah I would say Bath, then Bristol, the Notts
Sorry for the university of bath it is BSc Economics and Mathematics does this really differ if I don't study BSc Economics does it reduce my employability chance?
Itsfurreal
Rep:
If anything that makes you more employable, excellent degree for banking as you have the maths part to prove you're smart and the econ part to give you that baseline knowledge
ta9967
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What type of technicals should you know if you're applying to s&t? ik ib has specific ones but does s&t have any technical questions which everyone is expected to know (especially for a role in sales)
finance33
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What kind of knowledge would you expect an applicant for a spring week at MS to have? Are a lot of technical questions asked in the interview?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (68)
12.48%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.65%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (142)
26.06%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.07%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (264)
48.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.3%

Watched Threads