Amb/conf
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a passion for both, I've always had a passion about working in hospitals and wards, but have always been a passionate animal lover.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amb/conf)
I have a passion for both, I've always had a passion about working in hospitals and wards, but have always been a passionate animal lover.
Go for one of the nursing course's ( adult nursing / children nursing & midwifing ) as only a 3 year degree course over 4 years for to be a veterinary nurse with same BSC degree.

Veterinary nurses works anything upto 45 hours a week plus some practices has a compulsory Saturday morning overtime. And I think the pay for a newly qualified vet nurse starts around £18,500 a year upto head nurse on £23,000 nearly ) also nightshifts involved to watch the animals in the practice especially after any surgery.... No career promotions opportunities in this I think as highest is I think head vet nurse.
Unless you want to do very surgery then its five years training.

Nursing is 37.5 hours a week working either 5 days from 7 days various shifts or 3 shifts of 12.5/13 hours a week. You do nightshifts/dayshifts and weekends.
Obviously you can do outpatient department as they only work between 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday with day of in week plus weekend off to.
GP nurses works similar hours as outpatient department do but you'll need extra training for this.
Pay for a newly qualified nurse on bottom of band 5 payscale starts around £25,000 a year plus shift allowances on top.
Nursing has a vast area to work in and you got better chance of promotion if you want to climb the career ladder every few years if you apply for higher band providing you meet job criteria.

A registered midwife.
Amb/conf
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Go for one of the nursing course's ( adult nursing / children nursing & midwifing ) as only a 3 year degree course over 4 years for to be a veterinary nurse with same BSC degree.

Veterinary nurses works anything upto 45 hours a week plus some practices has a compulsory Saturday morning overtime. And I think the pay for a newly qualified vet nurse starts around £18,500 a year upto head nurse on £23,000 nearly ) also nightshifts involved to watch the animals in the practice especially after any surgery.... No career promotions opportunities in this I think as highest is I think head vet nurse.
Unless you want to do very surgery then its five years training.

Nursing is 37.5 hours a week working either 5 days from 7 days various shifts or 3 shifts of 12.5/13 hours a week. You do nightshifts/dayshifts and weekends.
Obviously you can do outpatient department as they only work between 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday with day of in week plus weekend off to.
GP nurses works similar hours as outpatient department do but you'll need extra training for this.
Pay for a newly qualified nurse on bottom of band 5 payscale starts around £25,000 a year plus shift allowances on top.
Nursing has a vast area to work in and you got better chance of promotion if you want to climb the career ladder every few years if you apply for higher band providing you meet job criteria.

A registered midwife.
Thank you. I was very interested in Nursing but thought Vet Nursing would be better as I thought working with animals would be easier. 😂
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. I was very interested in Nursing but thought Vet Nursing would be better as I thought working with animals would be easier. 😂
No problems with information I said previously.

( Anti-Social jobs in Healthcare:- Find constant chatting tiring. ) - for somebody who thought being very interested in doing veterinary nursing seems to have issues about constant chatting within NHS, veterinary nursing isn't any difference with it's constant chit chatting so you'll probably find the same issues as well in veterinary nursing and not only the NHS. Can't critisie one without the other one as I think you'll probably find anywhere you go and work in has a similar culture of people who are constantly chit chatting and you'll get tired wherever you go with it.

I do know people in the veterinary nursing field who says they work far too long for such little pay at end of the day and not having same freetime as myself with a better pay than them.
Cancelled Alice
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What’s making you gravitate towards animals? Vet nurses still have to talk to, reassure and comfort humans.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads