problem with my calculator?

Watch
Head Honcho.
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why do I keep getting errors when I try to do the follow on any online calculator √(5^2)+ (-2^2) + (1^2) + (-7^2) + (-4^2)
Head Honcho.
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by Head Honcho.)
Why do I keep getting errors when I try to do the follow on any online calculator √(5^2)+ (-2^2) + (1^2) + (-7^2) + (-4^2)
I am after the square root of everything so the entire line
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If it's negative (haven't checked) you can't sqrt it on most calculators- not all of them support imaginaries/complex numbers.
Head Honcho.
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
If it's negative (haven't checked) you can't sqrt it on most calculators- not all of them support imaginaries/complex numbers.
what would I do in such situation? Do I break the problem down take it that the thing I am trying to work out is not possible
jellyfish_3
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You can try to put them all in to a bracket like √((5^2)+ (-2^2) + (1^2) + (-7^2) + (-4^2)) make sure if you want to square ( -2)^2 or -2^2 ?
Last edited by jellyfish_3; 1 month ago
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
what would I do in such situation? Do I break the problem down take it that the thing I am trying to work out is not possible
Chances are if you don't know what to do, then you've done the problem wrong and likely shouldn't be dealing with sqrt(negatives).
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Try putting the minus numbers in their own bracket e.g. ((-2)^2) or just ignore the minus bit as squaring it will get you the same answer (obviously write it in your workings).
Head Honcho.
Rep:
(Original post by Callicious)
Chances are if you don't know what to do, then you've done the problem wrong and likely shouldn't be dealing with sqrt(negatives).
I feel like I have approached the problem perfectly fine but I could have someone check if they wanted
Head Honcho.
Rep:
(Original post by jellyfish_3)
You can try to put them all in to a bracket like √((5^2)+ (-2^2) + (1^2) + (-7^2) + (-4^2))
I thought this was the issue to begin with but it was not
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I feel like I have approached the problem perfectly fine but I could have someone check if they wanted
If it's just to do with the formatting of it on your calculator, then that's another issue- I was just referencing taking the square root of a negative number.
Callicious
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
√(5^2)+ (-2^2) + (1^2) + (-7^2) + (-4^2)

Do you want to do

\sqrt{(5^2)+ (-1*2^2) + (1^2) + (-1*7^2) + (-1*4^2)}

If you want to do this, then you're going to be square rooting a negative number-

If you don't want this, then you have to re-write your problem... if you type -2^2 on a calculator, you're going to get -4.
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
Head Honcho.
Rep:
(Original post by Max1989)
Try putting the minus numbers in their own bracket e.g. ((-2)^2) or just ignore the minus bit as squaring it will get you the same answer (obviously write it in your workings).
Your advice helped with removing the "Error" I kept receiving, thanks although I am not sure why negatives cause a problem
jellyfish_3
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I thought this was the issue to begin with but it was not
Did you want √((5^2)+ (-2)^2+ (1^2) + (-7)^2+ (-4)^2) ?
Head Honcho.
Rep:
(Original post by jellyfish_3)
Did you want √((5^2)+ (-2)^2+ (1^2) + (-7)^2+ (-4)^2) ?
yes Callicious
Head Honcho.
Rep:
Max1989 would there be a way to avoid receiving a decimal but instead √x which is equivalent to my decimal figure? perhaps some sort of converter
Last edited by Head Honcho.; 1 month ago
Max1989
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Max1989 would there be a way to avoid receiving a decimal but instead √x which is equivalent to my decimal figure? perhaps some sort of converter
Unlikely on an online calculator, nothing wrong with decimals though!

Most decimals can't be put in that form anyway

On a normal calculator it's the S<-->D button if it can be done
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you have x and you want "√x" why not literally write "√x"?

Edit: e.g. if I have 2, and want to write the square root in symbolic form, I don't square root and then try to work out what to do with 1.414...; I just write it as √2
Last edited by DFranklin; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6.22%
October 2021 (95)
49.22%
November 2021 (20)
10.36%
December 2021 (29)
15.03%
January 2021 (15)
7.77%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (19)
9.84%