What business jobs can allow you to travel?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Now I am more of the type of person who wants to be their own leader, run things for themselves and not have to sit at a desk all day. I was wondering what business industry jobs may allow me to travel whilst allowing me to have fun without having to worry about how to survive.
essjayuk
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Maybe consider jobs working for a global travel operator like an airline, cruise or hotel group? Also working in event management would probably involve travel opportunities too.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by essjayuk)
Maybe consider jobs working for a global travel operator like an airline, cruise or hotel group? Also working in event management would probably involve travel opportunities too.
thanks for the advice, I've previously looked at events management jobs and the pay is not great. but will continue to look thankyou
Anonymous #1
i am currently in year 13 so this is possibly 5 to 6 years in the future btw
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
A girl I know is air crew mainly doing long haul trips (over 8 hours) so she gets a day or two in the destination it's not an easy job but that doesn't mean it's not fun and you do get to travel she also has a really nice car (Audi TT) that she was able to afford after a couple of month.
Last edited by jonathanemptage; 1 month ago
essjayuk
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also, if you're interested in sales or marketing then working on that side of a global business might be worth considering - they may send employees to meet clients or attend trade shows around the world. At the very least a large company with an HQ in a different country to your home will possibly pay for you to visit their offices semi-frequently? Also, I've heard that the larger global accountancy firms like PWC can give opportunity for employees to transfer to different locations to stay in their jobs but experience life overseas.
Anonymous #1
Also, if you're interested in sales or marketing then working on that side of a global business might be worth considering - they may send employees to meet clients or attend trade shows around the world. At the very least a large company with an HQ in a different country to your home will possibly pay for you to visit their offices semi-frequently? Also, I've heard that the larger global accountancy firms like PWC can give opportunity for employees to transfer to different locations to stay in their jobs but experience life overseas.
That's actually kind of cool, I haven't really got a certain aspect of business I am interested in yet.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Now I am more of the type of person who wants to be their own leader, run things for themselves and not have to sit at a desk all day. I was wondering what business industry jobs may allow me to travel whilst allowing me to have fun without having to worry about how to survive.
The main problem with having a job that has travel involved is that when you're travelling, you're doing it for work purposes -- and that means that while you go to lots of different locations, you won't necessarily have time to enjoy yourself while you're there.

You'll typically go to the place where you need to be, do what you need to do, and then travel straight back. You'll spend your time split between your hotel room, and some conference/exhibition centre, or at a client's offices.

One possibility is that if you're travelling abroad you might be able to agree with your employer that you can fly to the destination, do what's needed for work, and then have a week's holiday before you fly back, with work covering the cost of the flights both ways and your accommodation for the work-related part of your trip.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by martin7)
The main problem with having a job that has travel involved is that when you're travelling, you're doing it for work purposes -- and that means that while you go to lots of different locations, you won't necessarily have time to enjoy yourself while you're there.

You'll typically go to the place where you need to be, do what you need to do, and then travel straight back. You'll spend your time split between your hotel room, and some conference/exhibition centre, or at a client's offices.

One possibility is that if you're travelling abroad you might be able to agree with your employer that you can fly to the destination, do what's needed for work, and then have a week's holiday before you fly back, with work covering the cost of the flights both ways and your accommodation for the work-related part of your trip.
Yep that was a thought of mine tbh, because if I do be travel I am travelling for work purpose so how much 'fun' would that really be
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yep that was a thought of mine tbh, because if I do be travel I am travelling for work purpose so how much 'fun' would that really be
I think it depends where your going I know pilots and air crew on a long haul trip (over 8 hours) get a day or two in the destination before they go back home (so if you go that route you’ll mostly want to go for the long haul route.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The cruise ship company I work for lets you have a half price cruise once a year after you hit 6 months with them (plus free ones when you hit certain long service awards, and they have very cheap test cruises available for friends and family and employees only sometimes as well). Those are also actual holidays...

As above otherwise if you're on a business trip you are going to be working, so you won't get a chance to see or do anything where you go. Most likely you will just go airport -> hotel -> office/venue -> hotel then repeat until you go back to the airport. Companies don't generally pay their staff to go abroad and do whatever while staying in a hotel on the company dime.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The cruise ship company I work for lets you have a half price cruise once a year after you hit 6 months with them (plus free ones when you hit certain long service awards, and they have very cheap test cruises available for friends and family and employees only sometimes as well). Those are also actual holidays...

As above otherwise if you're on a business trip you are going to be working, so you won't get a chance to see or do anything where you go. Most likely you will just go airport -> hotel -> office/venue -> hotel then repeat until you go back to the airport. Companies don't generally pay their staff to go abroad and do whatever while staying in a hotel on the company dime.
We've been offered very cheap short curses because we have subcontracted on some cruse ships these were what's called a shake down cruise before the public get on board however we haven't been able to take them sadly.
uberteknik
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nothing comes for free.

First, you must gain entry to that career ladder which means beating the competition and landing the job.

You will only gain as much freedom as the seniority of your role allows - but always you will have to justify and retain your position through meeting and indeed exceeding the performance objectives set by your employer.

Which inevitably means your job always comes first.

These types of roles are coveted and the competition means you must continually keep on your toes. Else there are always any number of others only too willing to take your place.

Having said that, look for companies with a multi-national/global reach: engineering, geological prospecting, pharmaceuticals, airlines, energy, transport/shipping, travel industry, architecture, fashion, international marketing, automotive etc.

A word of advice though, it's easy to set your sights high but you must also be prepared for failure. Such is life.
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
6.9%
October 2021 (193)
45.95%
November 2021 (43)
10.24%
December 2021 (56)
13.33%
January 2021 (46)
10.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.29%