PLZHELPMEE
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I started uni this year and have my first assignment due next week. I’m referencing everything properly and whatnot but I’m literally so scared that I’ll get flagged for plagiarism even though I’m definitely not ‘copying others work’, I’m just referencing my wider reading.
How can I know I’m not unknowingly copying others or at least stop stressing?
UCLan Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PLZHELPMEE)
Hi, I started uni this year and have my first assignment due next week. I’m referencing everything properly and whatnot but I’m literally so scared that I’ll get flagged for plagiarism even though I’m definitely not ‘copying others work’, I’m just referencing my wider reading.
Hi PLZHELPMEE

It's completely normal to stress about referencing in assignments, I have done this before and I know you want to get it right. As long as you are sticking to your particular reference format throughout and reference everything you have used from academic articles, then you will be absolutely fine.

Good luck with the assignment, I'm sure you will do great!

Best Wishes,
Dan
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
lots of free plagiarism checker sites e.g. easybib is an example. May be limited to 1000 words at a time.
Last edited by mike23mike; 1 month ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
PLZHELPMEE use turnitin (https://www.turnitin.com/). At Sheffield Hallam using this was mandatory before you submit your assignment, and it gives you a percentage of how much work is from other sources, and if it is below 30% you have nothing to worry about. It also highlights your text in your work and provides information on which site/publication was used so you can use this to check if there was something you forgot to reference and it will let you know if you unknowingly copied others as well, so as this is something you are worried about I would definitely use it. To log in just use your student ID I think. And often my work was higher than 30% but if you have used quotation marks (if you changed nothing in that sentence from another source) or you changed it up as long as it is cited and referenced your work is fine and you don't have to worry about plagiarism.

And as it's your first assignment, even if you cite/reference wrong you will just be given feedback on how to improve, so as long as you tried to cite and reference and have not copied whole paragraphs into your work you need not worry. I had no idea how to do any of this when I first started and now I'm a pro.

Also, I have mentioned citing above, just double checking you know to do this as well as reference. In case you don't, it's simply putting in brackets the authors last names and year of publication after you wrote information gleamed from what they wrote in their work i.e. (Miller 2002) or (Miller, Bryan and Taylor 2002) or (and this is for APA referencing) if there are more than three people you put (Miller et al., 2002).

I hope this is useful to you, and don't stress, its just your first assignment Your tutors will be understanding even if it's not 100% correct on the referencing front.

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
lots of free plagiarism checker sites e.g. easybib is an example. May be limited to 1000 words at a time.
These are a bit of a waste of time, to be honest with you. There's a reason why they're free.

(Original post by PLZHELPMEE)
Why are you flapping so much about this - if you're referencing your reading, then there is nothing to worry about.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

I'm a PhD student, so often mark students work, if you are referencing then you really don't have anything to worry about Even if there is some significant similarity (shown in the Turnitin score) then it doesn't mean you are plagiarising as only as you have referenced correctly according to the style used in your department.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.17%
October 2021 (224)
44.62%
November 2021 (60)
11.95%
December 2021 (64)
12.75%
January 2021 (60)
11.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.57%