The Student Room Group

Uni for 3rd time, education history

Hi,

I've dropped out of uni twice already, both times for mental health reasons. The first time was towards the end of the 2nd year and the second time in the first term. I've decided to try for a third and final time and am just worried that the uni will see the two drop outs and reject me (even though I have more than required grade wise).

I'm under the impression that it's best not to mention the dropping out in my personal statement. Would I be right that I have to mention it in my education though, even the time I was there less than a term? Do you think this is going to hurt my chances?

Thanks
Original post by abc1290
I'm under the impression that it's best not to mention the dropping out in my personal statement. Would I be right that I have to mention it in my education though, even the time I was there less than a term? Do you think this is going to hurt my chances?

You must mention it in your education history. If you don't it is grounds to be removed from the application cycle which you don't want to risk.

It's not worth covering in your PS unless it somehow ties in to your motivation for the new course, e.g. a subject change where you realised your interest in XYZ. Much better to have your referee address it tactfully.

Difficult to say what impact it would have. It would certainly be of concern, however you have health issues which may mitigate somewhat. To be honest they would probably be more concerned if you'd started the same course twice previously. In some cases they might want to have a chat with you just to set their mind at ease, but it's going to be a very case by case thing as it is an unusual scenario. You may find that you get some offers without any other contact at all.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
You must mention it in your education history. If you don't it is grounds to be removed from the application cycle which you don't want to risk.

It's not worth covering in your PS unless it somehow ties in to your motivation for the new course, e.g. a subject change where you realised your interest in XYZ. Much better to have your referee address it tactfully.

Difficult to say what impact it would have. It would certainly be of concern, however you have health issues which may mitigate somewhat. To be honest they would probably be more concerned if you'd started the same course twice previously. In some cases they might want to have a chat with you just to set their mind at ease, but it's going to be a very case by case thing as it is an unusual scenario. You may find that you get some offers without any other contact at all.

Appreciate the response. The thing is the uni isn't going to know about my mental health problems unless I tell them. Do you think it's worth contacting them directly and explaining. The thing is, even though I believe I'll cope better this time, as the entry requirements are lower than previous courses and it's a lot closer to home, I'm concerned they'll still just see it as a red flag and a reason not to take me. I'm thinking maybe I'll contact them, explaining and suggest an interview/meeting to talk things through in case they have any concerns. On the other hand I could leave it and try to contact the uni explaining my circumstances and requesting an interview if rejected.
Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by abc1290
Appreciate the response. The thing is the uni isn't going to know about my mental health problems unless I tell them. Do you think it's worth contacting them directly and explaining. The thing is, even though I believe I'll cope better this time, as the entry requirements are lower than previous courses and it's a lot closer to home, I'm concerned they'll still just see it as a red flag and a reason not to take me. I'm thinking maybe I'll contact them, explaining and suggest an interview/meeting to talk things through in case they have any concerns. On the other hand I could leave it and try to contact the uni explaining my circumstances and requesting an interview if rejected.
Thanks

This is the sort of thing I would normally recommend you ask your referee to explain (briefly) in your reference.
Original post by abc1290
Thanks

I agree with PQ, it's usually best for your referee to address this. Your PS should only really be concerned with your suitability and motivation for the course.

You might consider submitting a mitigating circumstances request. The process for that will be different for each uni, (usually a form to fill in, either online or return via email). You are in an unusual position as your pre-uni academics sounds fine, but you could use it to provide more background regarding your previous UG study. They might ask for doctors notes or other evidence in support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending