Am I overreacting?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
19f
So me and my dad are close sometimes and he’s the kindest at points.
But sometimes when we fall out we go weeks without talking to each other and I’m the one always amending and trying to resolve our fallout. He never does.
When we argue, he sometimes swears at me calling me swear words and says things like this is why nobody likes you just because I argue back. The arguments are usually caused by other members of family like my sista and other little things.
He initially talks calm but starts progressively getting angry cos I argue back sometimes I do it angrily too sometimes. The difference is he makes personal remarks… things i tell him that I’m upset about get used back on me when I’m going through serious issues. and like i said earlier he starts swearing when there’s no need for swearing at all.
Is this normal? Am I in the wrong?
Laurenalexa.x
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You aren't in the wrong. I get you're 19 so it's not like you're a child anymore HOWEVER this guy is your dad. He should act like it rather than acting like a child and using your personal insecurities against you. He is the parent, he should be the mature one and talk calmly to you about whatever issues he has rather than just shouting and swearing
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Laurenalexa.x)
You aren't in the wrong. I get you're 19 so it's not like you're a child anymore HOWEVER this guy is your dad. He should act like it rather than acting like a child and using your personal insecurities against you. He is the parent, he should be the mature one and talk calmly to you about whatever issues he has rather than just shouting and swearing
What can i do on my side to make things better?
Laurenalexa.x
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Honestly I'd just try to sit down with him and have an adult conversation about how you feel and what's been happening. If you can do this and he reacts in the same way that he previously has it may be time to take a step back for a while. I really hope things work out or at least that you can find peace/ happiness regarding this situation
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Laurenalexa.x)
Honestly I'd just try to sit down with him and have an adult conversation about how you feel and what's been happening. If you can do this and he reacts in the same way that he previously has it may be time to take a step back for a while. I really hope things work out or at least that you can find peace/ happiness regarding this situation
Thank you for your help
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
19f
So me and my dad are close sometimes and he’s the kindest at points.
But sometimes when we fall out we go weeks without talking to each other and I’m the one always amending and trying to resolve our fallout. He never does.
When we argue, he sometimes swears at me calling me swear words and says things like this is why nobody likes you just because I argue back. The arguments are usually caused by other members of family like my sista and other little things.
He initially talks calm but starts progressively getting angry cos I argue back sometimes I do it angrily too sometimes. The difference is he makes personal remarks… things i tell him that I’m upset about get used back on me when I’m going through serious issues. and like i said earlier he starts swearing when there’s no need for swearing at all.
Is this normal? Am I in the wrong?
I grew up with this kind of behaviour from my father. Honestly, you can try to sit down and talk with him about it, but from my experience that never worked out really, it just made it worse. Sounds like he honestly doesn't know how to behave, and it's up to him to change that. Swearing, and shouting in your daughters face, calling them swear words? Nah, that's down right abusive. That kind of behaviour deserves him being verbally reprimanded. My advice get on with what you are doing and ignore him. Feeding it will only make it worse. I wish you all the world my dear, I really do. I understand your frustration down to a fine art.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I grew up with this kind of behaviour from my father. Honestly, you can try to sit down and talk with him about it, but from my experience that never worked out really, it just made it worse. Sounds like he honestly doesn't know how to behave, and it's up to him to change that. Swearing, and shouting in your daughters face, calling them swear words? Nah, that's down right abusive. That kind of behaviour deserves him being verbally reprimanded. My advice get on with what you are doing and ignore him. Feeding it will only make it worse. I wish you all the world my dear, I really do. I understand your frustration down to a fine art.
This isn’t mature behaviour,do your Mother’s Day anything about it ?
thomasdao
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Oohh, I like your attitude. Taking personal responsibility instead of blaming others, you're going to places girl! Best of luck on the situation with your dad. Just try to do your best and remember, you can't control other people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6%
October 2021 (97)
48.5%
November 2021 (20)
10%
December 2021 (30)
15%
January 2021 (16)
8%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (20)
10%
Something else (5)
2.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise