The Student Room Group

Studying Architecture at Uni of Bath: Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, thanks for this thread. I have an offer from Bath and will probably firm it once I've decided on my insurance. My question is do you know if there will be an in-person offer holders day? I've never been to Bath & would like to have a good look at the different accommodation before I choose.
Do you have any thoughts about where is best for Architecture students?
Thanks
Do you use paper or computer programs to draw? If both, which one do you use more?
Reply 22
Original post by hustlr
Hey I'm thinking of going to Bath but I'm not even sure if they'll accept me. I'm actually on a gap year now and have received A*AB in Maths DT and Economics, respectively. For GCSE my top grades were 9888 in History, Literature, Physics and Maths. The reason I bring this up is that when reading the admissions page it seems they are quite lenient to students who express talent in both maths and philosophy from a range of things you've done and not only A-levels.

What was your original offer from Bath, what did you receive, and do you think I have a chance at being accepted since they don't look at portfolios?

Also I see myself as a person with a greater interest in the literature/philosophy side of Architecture, so when you say the first year (or the course) is very maths based do you mean there are very few elements of philosophy and art?

As I did an EPQ in year 12 and achieved an A*, my offer was AAA instead of the standard A*AA. I ended up geting A*A*A so confirmed my conditional offer. I think grades do play a big part - as you said, they don't look at portfolios or interview students. Apparently there are just too many applicants to do this, but I still don't agree with their decision not to look at even a small portfolio.

I'll tell you now that if you prefer the art/literature/philosophy side of architecture, I don't think this is the degree for you. I'm well into my second semester now and the design process is still rather maths-based, in fact the teaching this semester has not been great so far. We have very little contact time and are expected to do some really advanced things without proper guidance. I too prefer the art side of architecture, so I'm enjoying the aspects of design involving sketching, CAD and digital art. But keep in mind this is a BSc degree, and your interests seem to align better with a BA degree. Take a look at UCL, Sheffield, Manchester, Loughborough.
Reply 23
Original post by Annannapurna
Hi there, thanks for this thread. I have an offer from Bath and will probably firm it once I've decided on my insurance. My question is do you know if there will be an in-person offer holders day? I've never been to Bath & would like to have a good look at the different accommodation before I choose.
Do you have any thoughts about where is best for Architecture students?
Thanks

Hi, congratulations on your offer! I was lucky enough to attend an open day last April (despite COVID restrictions) where I toured the campus and solidified my accommodation choice - so keep an eye out for that on their website. I can't remember if it was offer-holders specifically but even if not, I encourage you to attend any open day on campus so you can check it out. As for accommodation, subject doesn't really matter. I think the university tends to match people up based on subject, as everyone I know has someone on their corridor doing the same course as them (3/10 on my corridor do architecture). Unfortunately, the university just hiked up the prices of accommodation massively so it's worth considering your budget when deciding. What I can say is you don't necessarily need to strive for a large desk/workspace as you can spend as much time in the studio as you want where the workspaces are very large.
Reply 24
Original post by rosy_posy
Do you use paper or computer programs to draw? If both, which one do you use more?

I use both. They encourage hand-drawing as it is important to not get complacent and forget how to do basic sketching, but most prefer digital as it can look better in a design report. At the moment I do all my initial sketching by hand and when I scan these in they look pretty good, and then I do my final elevations and such digitally using my SketchUp model. However they will expect you to be at least competent with hand-drawing, it's just an advantage for yourself and quicker if you can do digital stuff too. You are also required to do physical models so it might be worth practicing those sorts of skills.
Hi there, just wanna say thanks for the thread, as someone who is considering Bath, first hand information is really helpful. I just have a question about your personal statement. Seeing as Bath doesn't look at portfolios, do you think there was anything specific about your personal statement that may've helped you gain your place. If not, do you have any basic tips on a personal statement for any architecture course?
Hello,
I have an offer from UCL and still waiting on Bath for their decision. I do Chemistry, Art, Maths and Further Maths A-level. If I get an offer from Bath, I will have to decide between UCL and Bath for my firm choice. My problem is I really don't know if I prefer the technical or creative side of architecture. I enjoy both equally as much. Do you have any comments or suggestions?
Reply 27
Original post by Turtle_2903
Hi there, just wanna say thanks for the thread, as someone who is considering Bath, first hand information is really helpful. I just have a question about your personal statement. Seeing as Bath doesn't look at portfolios, do you think there was anything specific about your personal statement that may've helped you gain your place. If not, do you have any basic tips on a personal statement for any architecture course?

Sorry for the slow reply, it wasn't letting me quote people. I agree that the personal statement is really important for getting into Bath as they don't review portfolios or interview applicants. As I was applying to Cambridge, I received some extra support from my school and my personal statement was very tailored to Cambridge's preference of discussing literature you've read/lectures you've attended etc. The main thing is to sound as passionate as possible and to demonstrate an engagement in the project. Mine followed the format of explaining my personal connection to the subject, the parts of the subject I'm interested in (demonstrating I had explored it further), an internship experience I did and finally a personal achievement. Most of all, explain what you have learnt from experiences/books/talks/trips you detail, simply listing these is not enough. I hope this helped, but talking to teachers who have read many personal statements over the years will definitely help, as well as getting outside perspectives - allow others to proofread your personal statement.
Reply 28
Original post by frypezium
Hello,
I have an offer from UCL and still waiting on Bath for their decision. I do Chemistry, Art, Maths and Further Maths A-level. If I get an offer from Bath, I will have to decide between UCL and Bath for my firm choice. My problem is I really don't know if I prefer the technical or creative side of architecture. I enjoy both equally as much. Do you have any comments or suggestions?

The main difference between Bath and UCL's courses is that UCL's is more exploratory of hypothetical architecture (from what I can tell anyway, as I know a few people at the Bartlett and have compared their experiences to mine). After the first semester at Bath you don't have technical lectures/exams, but you do have to constantly justify design decisions in relation to structure, environment etc. Bath is a good course for blending both the artistic and technical side of things, but is rooted in realism and exploring client, site, environment etc. UCL is almost wholly artistic, but I know that they do delve into technical elements too. From what I have heard, the UCL course is very very intense. All architecture courses are, Bath's included, but very few make it into the UCL course and stay for the entire duration of it. There are more deadlines and the tuition style is apparently a lot stricter. I implore you to reach out to a UCL student and discuss the course with them, or at least have a look at examples of work and projects from both universities and decide which you prefer. There are also details of the units taught by the universities on both websites, and these are always useful to look at in advance of deciding which offer to confirm. I hope Bath reply to you soon, I understand the pressure of waiting.
Reply 29
Original post by sunanon
I'm 2 months into my undergraduate degree studying BSc Architecture at Bath. When applying I would've liked to ask an arch student questions but couldn't find anywhere to do that - so, ask me anything!

Hi, I just asked you a bunch of questions by replying to your comment on a diff post!
Reply 30
Original post by Virona
Hi, I just asked you a bunch of questions by replying to your comment on a diff post!

Thanks for your questions. I just replied!
Hi, you said recently you would not recommend the course anymore, is it ok if you elaborate on why? Just wanted to know as I have received an offer and plan on making it my firm choice but am still looking into things. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Enterzoom_
Hi, you said recently you would not recommend the course anymore, is it ok if you elaborate on why? Just wanted to know as I have received an offer and plan on making it my firm choice but am still looking into things. Thanks :smile:

Hi just out of curiosity when did you receive your offer?
Original post by miscellaneouss
Hi just out of curiosity when did you receive your offer?
It was around November I think
It was around November I think

oh. they usually give them out after the 31st
Original post by miscellaneouss
oh. they usually give them out after the 31st
I did pathway to Bath, which means I got an guaranteed conditional offer which is why it came earlier I think
I did pathway to Bath, which means I got an guaranteed conditional offer which is why it came earlier I think

oh that makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending