Can i apply for a law vacation scheme if i get a 2:2 in first year

Watch
Mariah F
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I got a 2:2 in my first year of Law. I wanted to apply for a vacation scheme but it seems all the firms want a high 2:1. I got 52-57 in constitutional, foundations of law and criminal law but i got a 70 in contract law.
Is there any point in applying? They all want high academic performance. I have no mitigating circumstances, I just struggled with the course in first year.
rijul shah
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Apply. You have to have practice in filling forms.
thegeek888
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is there space on the application form (s) to write additional information? If so, you could write about your other strengths and qualities or perhaps contact the recruitment team and attend a virtual open day and show your self-motivation for a career in law. But you must understand over 50% of LLB Law graduates don't even qualify to become barristers or solicitors. There is fierce competition as English, History, Modern Foreign Languages graduates as well as Science and Engineering and also Technology graduates apply for graduate programmes too.

But you should apply and ask recruitment for extra space to add a cover letter, especially if your GCSE and AS and A-Level performance is excellent?!
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mariah F)
Hi,
I got a 2:2 in my first year of Law. I wanted to apply for a vacation scheme but it seems all the firms want a high 2:1. I got 52-57 in constitutional, foundations of law and criminal law but i got a 70 in contract law.
Is there any point in applying? They all want high academic performance. I have no mitigating circumstances, I just struggled with the course in first year.
Hi Mariah

Law firms get many (sometimes hundreds) of applications for vacation scheme so the quickest way to sift through applications is by setting criteria. If you don't make it, you simply won't the criteria set (without mitigating circumstances), the likelihood is you will not make the first paper sift.

There are law firms out there that have a lower requirement. This is a good resource to check out those details: https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitor...ementDeadlines

However, you also need to remember that the criteria is based on your degree's FINAL result- not your first year (unless it states otherwise) so do not be disheartened. It is worth applying to the schemes, as another poster stated, if nothing else, it is good practice - as you should be learning to individualise each application.

You should also consider putting your CV and a covering letter through the doors of your local firms. These experiences can then be used to leap frog to other organisations.

Best of Luck!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Dekiee654
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Try and build relationships with firms - through partner organisations, awards, schemes, etc. Doing this will put you in a better position when applying with a 2:2 since they will recognise your name and will have more to consider than just your grades... basically shows that you're proactive. Obviously, this is not easy so try your hardest and think carefully about which vac schemes you apply to, in terms of their criteria. Best of luck!
TFEU
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
Do you have strong GCSE/A level grades?

You can still apply, but be selective with your choices and apply without any expectations - firms would almost always tell you to still apply because they view all applications holistically blah blah blah. The reality is that in most instances, it will be a waste of your time. Instead, see it as an opportunity to familiarise yourself with the application form and the various online tests.

However, only do this during your spare time (if you find yourself with any). Your focus should now be on your grades.
TFEU
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rijul shah)
Yh Im just studying atm. If I have spare time, I will send apps. I am very much aware that White & Case would not let anyone in with a BBC at A level, 2A*s 5As 2Bs and 1C at GCSEs, and a 2:2 in the first year and a low 2:1 in the second year. I'm just studying to get consistent 2:1 marks in the two years I have left. Then I will start applying to jobs with my 2:1 degree, and when I get my first job, I'll start applying to TCs and VSs. If I get a really good 2:1 at the end of my degree, can I get a job at a regional firm as a paralegal? And will my natural talent help me get a TC there?
I'm slightly confused as to how you went from White & Case TC to regional paralegal. The work you will be doing are going to be vastly different, and it's a really random change-of-mind. There is nothing wrong with either, but it just seems to me you are more focused on getting any lawer-y job, as opposed to being genuinely interested in the firm and the type of work they do?

I also don't understand why you plan on applying to VS/TCs after getting your first job? You can apply any time, especially in 4th year if you can finish with stellar 3rd-year results.

Again, be selective with the firms. If you have spare time, why waste the time on White & Case and not a semi-decent City firm that might be more lenient academic-wise? If you are unsure about your chances for regional firms, it just seems like a huge waste of time applying to these US firms imho.
Gmaster1980
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TFEU)
I'm slightly confused as to how you went from White & Case TC to regional paralegal. The work you will be doing are going to be vastly different, and it's a really random change-of-mind. There is nothing wrong with either, but it just seems to me you are more focused on getting any lawer-y job, as opposed to being genuinely interested in the firm and the type of work they do?

I also don't understand why you plan on applying to VS/TCs after getting your first job? You can apply any time, especially in 4th year if you can finish with stellar 3rd-year results.

Again, be selective with the firms. If you have spare time, why waste the time on White & Case and not a semi-decent City firm that might be more lenient academic-wise? If you are unsure about your chances for regional firms, it just seems like a huge waste of time applying to these US firms imho.
Rijul doesn't make any sense, no point questioning it. They flip between thinking they will never ever have a chance in law, being weirdly confident it will work out, and responding to threads to either offer anecdotes about their own life or unsolicited (and often wrong) advice.
Gmaster1980
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The encounter I had with some regional firms was surprisingly a lot colder, I rlly don’t get why. A lot of them said they wouldn’t accept me for academics, cuz their application is a bit one dimensional, and actively encouraged me not to apply.

I disclosed my academics, mitigating circumstances and work experience and extra curriculars to graduate recruiters from top city firms like White & Case LLP, Freshfields, DLA, BCLP and Osborne Clarke, and they actively encouraged me to apply. I’m acc confused we’re they lying to me, just to make me feel better? It doesn’t make sense in my head either why I am terrible for a regional law firm, but recruiters from these top firms which only accept those with A*s and Firsts are willing to take a chance on little me.

I’ve tried to convert my current module grades to their English equivalent and here they are:
First Year:
45%, 50%, 57%, 57%, 57%, 57%, 60%, 60%, 67%

Second Year:
47%, 55%, 57%, 57%, 60%, 60%, 67%, 67%, 67%, 70%

I only have 7 modules in my 3rd year and 5 modules in my 4th year.

My A levels and GCSEs and mitigating circumstances are above. I just wanted to fully disclose my situation. Ik my academics are bad.. even if mitigating circumstances are applied.
This isn't even your thread!!! Why have you made it all about you??
Last edited by Gmaster1980; 1 month ago
rijul shah
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gmaster1980)
This isn't even your thread!!! Why have you made it all about you??
Okay that’s fair enough! I think I was just really curious I’ll take off my posts. I feel kinda bad for being selfish!
Mariah F
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll continue applying for practice. My IGCSE grades were A*,A,A,A,A,B and A-levels were AAB. I just feel like I can't compete with people who get all A* and gets 1sts. I feel like an imposter already. But thanks I'll try my best!
rijul shah
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll continue applying for practice. My IGCSE grades were A*,A,A,A,A,B and A-levels were AAB. I just feel like I can't compete with people who get all A* and gets 1sts. I feel like an imposter already. But thanks I'll try my best!
I would cut off a finger to have your A-Level grades!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would cut off a finger to have your A-Level grades!
Don't be so tasteless.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
I agree with TFEU - you might as well apply, to get to know the process if nothing else, but with such poor results it's highly unlikely you're going to be offered a vac scheme.

You need to smash the second year so as to make the first look an aberration rather than setting a trend.
rijul shah
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Don't be so tasteless.
I mean it would exponentially change my career prospects.
Gmaster1980
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I mean it would exponentially change my career prospects.
seriously, what is wrong with you?
rijul shah
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
seriously, what is wrong with you?
If I had AAB I really would not be this stressed. The world would be my oyster in terms of law firms.
Gmaster1980
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If I had AAB I really would not be this stressed. The world would be my oyster in terms of law firms.
At this point, I'm convinced that even if you were a glowing candidate you'd weird out grad rec too much at interview to ever get a TC.

You seriously need some self awareness.
rijul shah
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
At this point, I'm convinced that even if you were a glowing candidate you'd weird out grad rec too much at interview to ever get a TC.

You seriously need some self awareness.
Im not gonna improve myself at all until I ever get to an interview stage! Why work on self-development when it doesn't get you anything!
Last edited by rijul shah; 1 month ago
Gmaster1980
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Im not gonna improve myself at all until I ever get to an interview stage! Why work on self-development when it doesn't get you anything!
This is too stupid a statement to unpack.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.2%
October 2021 (223)
44.6%
November 2021 (59)
11.8%
December 2021 (64)
12.8%
January 2021 (60)
12%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.6%