The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Colleges, St. Chads Catered: Is it a deal breaker?

Hey,
I am about to apply to Durham and found St Chads to be my favourite college however just before I was going to apply I found out it was catered and that sadly is a pretty big difference for me.
I have heard it is quite annoying for a college to be only catered as you cannot be late to a meal in fear of missing it and of course, your food preferences are very limited, not to mention I love cooking and would want to do more of that there. So, while my second choice might be St Cuths, I do really love St Chads.
Is catered as big of a deal as they make it up to be?
Is it a deal-breaker for St Chads? Is its catering good?
Can you cook anyways in St Chads from time to time? (I heard there is a small kitchen but it only references it as for making a snack or a cuppa)

Thank you!
Hey, Im applying for St Chads too!!!

Cant lie I was so happy that it was catered because I am an awful cook and it also saves a lot of time hahaha.

Just remember, you will be moving out of the accommodation and actual college in years 2 and 3 so you will have to cook anyway in those final years :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I am a former Chadsian, and I can tell you that students were given an option between catered and self-catered this year (not sure if that will stay for the future).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by isab3llasanch3z
Hey,
I am about to apply to Durham and found St Chads to be my favourite college however just before I was going to apply I found out it was catered and that sadly is a pretty big difference for me.
I have heard it is quite annoying for a college to be only catered as you cannot be late to a meal in fear of missing it and of course, your food preferences are very limited, not to mention I love cooking and would want to do more of that there. So, while my second choice might be St Cuths, I do really love St Chads.
Can you cook anyways in St Chads from time to time? (I heard there is a small kitchen but it only references it as for making a snack or a cuppa)

Thank you!

Hi, I'm a current chadsian.
I personally don't have any problem regarding meal times since you have all the time you want to go and eat, the only problem might be only on formals since dinner finishes early. On normal days this is the meal times:
Breakfast: 8.00 10.00 am
Lunch: 11.45 1.30pm
Dinner: 5.30 7.30pm

during formals, early tea finishes at 6.30
You can always ask for a late dinner or a packed lunch if you fear you can't make it.
Food, in general, is alright, you always have 2 meat/fish options and at least a vegetarian. Personally, I don't really like the food mainly because I'm not used to it since I'm Italian, but all my British friends say it's good.
Unfortunately, kitchens vary massively from building to building, some are really big and spacious others are quite small. but I think all buildings have at least a hob, a stove and a fridge
This year some people live in a self-catered accommodation but I fear next year they want all freshers to live in catered accommodations
Hey,

Thank you!

Dont really have much more to add other than whats already been said but its worth emphasising that you can fill out a form that lets you put the food in a little polystyrene box if you know you'll miss a meal. Catering is alright but the food is very British, meaning when they do branch out of the regular british staples ('full english breakfasts' or 'meat, greens, potatoes and Yorkshire puddings') its gonna be underwhelming. Dont go in expecting a menu item like Butter Chicken (curry) to taste like what you'd get at either an English Restaurant/Takeaway or something resembling what it'd taste from the country of origin. The Pasta for instance is never Al dente (but thats really expecting too much).
Hey,

Thank you!

@isab3llasanch3z

Hi! Amazing you're thinking of Durham!

I've spoken to a friend and she said she really enjoyed the catering at St Chads. It was mainly hearty food and it was breakfast, lunch and dinner and on the weekends they got breakfast instead of brunch. There are options to pick up food later, receive a packed lunch and even get dinner later. Moreover, most of the catering at colleges are similar so bare that in mind when you're making a decision.

You can cook from time to time. My friend made pancakes whilst she was in her first year and she knew someone who even made steak regularly. You can make the most of the facilities!

If you want to go the St Chads the best bit is about the environment and the community so if you want a college with a good spirit then St Chads is the one for you. If you really want to be self catered though then perhaps applying for Cuths may be better as you will most certainly get self catered if you request it but it means you won't be living on the Bailey.

Hope this was helpful!

-Lamesha (Offical DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest