Mathematics vs Further Mathematics

Watch
1nsig
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I did mocks in October and got a low 7 without any revision. I passed my 11+ so should have some sort of natural ability.

I have to make applications soon.

Obviously further maths is more difficult but more valuable, especially for universities.

What are your experiences?

Also, I am in the higher band of a public school out of choice, so am not in a grammar. I could go to a grammar school's sixth form if I get an 8 (I am eligible in all my other subjects currently)
What The Cluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Natural ability is a load of horse ****. Unless you are an actual child prodigy like Terrence Tao, natural ability will fail you once you get to A levels or university.

Take further maths if you actually want to do it. Don't just do it because its "more valuable". If you don't like further maths A level then there is a good chance you will probably not like the courses it's required for.

I am currently doing A2 further maths and I'm finding the content to be quite fun although, I struggle to keep up at times given that you have to take 2 applied modules along side the main pure module. But overall, I'm really glad I'm taking it and I do not regret it.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1nsig)
I did mocks in October and got a low 7 without any revision. I passed my 11+ so should have some sort of natural ability.

Obviously further maths is more difficult but more valuable, especially for universities.

Also, I am in the higher band of a public school out of choice, so am not in a grammar. I could go to a grammar school's sixth form if I get an 8 (I am eligible in all my other subjects currently)
You are in an independent school?
1nsig
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
You are in an independent school?
I'm in a public school, I had the option to go to grammar but chose to go here. It's the other end of the spectrum tbh, most people here are on benefits, and there are 2 higher classes and the rest are foundation.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1nsig)
I'm in a public school, I had the option to go to grammar but chose to go here. It's the other end of the spectrum tbh, most people here are on benefits, and there are 2 higher classes and the rest are foundation.
A public school? Do you mean a state school because public = independent (ie private)
1nsig
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
A public school? Do you mean a state school because public = independent (ie private)
Oh, does public not mean that it's for the public? State school then, free school, paid by government
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1nsig)
Oh, does public not mean that it's for the public? State school then, free school, paid by government
No ironically 'public' in this sense doesn't!

A Grammar will usually require a maths GCSE grade 8/9 for FMaths ... take it if you love Maths
YesIEnjoyMaths
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1nsig)

If you're getting 7s at GCSE maths then I wouldn't recommend it. Most people who do it get 9s in GCSE maths with minimal revision, but if you think you would find it interesting then go for it! Just make sure you're doing subjects you enjoy because otherwise you will have 0 motivation (speaking from experience cause I took physics lol)...
Honey57
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sc0rrie)
If you're getting 7s at GCSE maths then I wouldn't recommend it. Most people who do it get 9s in GCSE maths with minimal revision, but if you think you would find it interesting then go for it! Just make sure you're doing subjects you enjoy because otherwise you will have 0 motivation (speaking from experience cause I took physics lol)...
Nobody gets grade 9 with minimal revision. People work super hard to get there but may not show it.
YesIEnjoyMaths
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Honey57)
Nobody gets grade 9 with minimal revision. People work super hard to get there but may not show it.
i did (with no revision) but thats probs unrealistic idk lmao
i think the people in my further maths class must be unusually smart then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (38)
6.51%
October 2021 (261)
44.69%
November 2021 (70)
11.99%
December 2021 (74)
12.67%
January 2021 (75)
12.84%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (47)
8.05%