should I pick a level biology?

Watch this thread
KatieMcF
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give some advice.

in 2 weeks I need to submit an application for sixth form/ college and I am almost 100% sure on geography and English language as 2 of my options.

however, recently I have started to consider doing biology as my 3rd option. im not sure if its the best option as in year 10 I didn't do overly well until my year 10 mock in June In which I got a 6. im in year 11 now and I just did another set of mocks and I got an 8, which I was very pleased with. But im concerned that I might struggle despite the hard work I am willing to put in ??

any advice would be great!! thankyou
Hyasmin
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by KatieMcF)

in 2 weeks I need to submit an application for sixth form/ college and I am almost 100% sure on geography and English language as 2 of my options.

however, recently I have started to consider doing biology as my 3rd option. im not sure if its the best option as in year 10 I didn't do overly well until my year 10 mock in June In which I got a 6. im in year 11 now and I just did another set of mocks and I got an 8, which I was very pleased with. But im concerned that I might struggle despite the hard work I am willing to put in ??

Hi, do you have any idea what profession you might want to get into? I'm in the same year as you and I'm picking A Level Biology because I want to do medicine. If you do have any ideas, search up what A Level subjects are needed for it and if biology isn't needed, you don't need to pick it. But you can if you want. If you don't know what you want to do in the future, just pick subjects you like. There's no point in learning about something you don't like. Hope that helped
amy1310
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi,

I take Biology A level and although it was a last minute decision, I am so glad I chose it! It honestly becomes so much more interesting at A level however it is an extremely content heavy subject and as I am doing two essay subjects, I struggle to manage my time efficiently sometimes. As long as your prepared to put hard work into the subject, and you're good at managing your time, I would say go for it. The content is relatively easy to learn, there's just lots of it! Some of the topics such as the Ecosystems and sampling topic are quite tedious however there are so many interesting topics that you study like the nervous system. Many of the more interesting topics (well the ones I find more interesting personally) are taught in year 13 but the y12 content just builds on GCSE stuff. I wouldn't actually say its a massive step up from GCSE, the content is just a bit more detailed.
Exam questions for Biology A level can be quite tricky to answer sometimes- many are 'apply your knowledge' questions and personally I find some of the Biology questions (especially multiple choice!) quite difficult to answer. Make sure you read through the question properly and identify which topic they are asking you about.
Hope this all helps. I'm not too sure how the spec differs between different exam boards but I do OCR A Biology and I think its pretty good.

Let me know if you have any more questions or just pm me
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by KatieMcF)

Could you not pick biology now- then change your options nearer the time if you change your mind.
Most 6th forms allow you to swap your subjects before you actually start.
KatieMcF
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by amy1310)
Hi,

I take Biology A level and although it was a last minute decision, I am so glad I chose it! It honestly becomes so much more interesting at A level however it is an extremely content heavy subject and as I am doing two essay subjects, I struggle to manage my time efficiently sometimes. As long as your prepared to put hard work into the subject, and you're good at managing your time, I would say go for it. The content is relatively easy to learn, there's just lots of it! Some of the topics such as the Ecosystems and sampling topic are quite tedious however there are so many interesting topics that you study like the nervous system. Many of the more interesting topics (well the ones I find more interesting personally) are taught in year 13 but the y12 content just builds on GCSE stuff. I wouldn't actually say its a massive step up from GCSE, the content is just a bit more detailed.
Exam questions for Biology A level can be quite tricky to answer sometimes- many are 'apply your knowledge' questions and personally I find some of the Biology questions (especially multiple choice!) quite difficult to answer. Make sure you read through the question properly and identify which topic they are asking you about.
Hope this all helps. I'm not too sure how the spec differs between different exam boards but I do OCR A Biology and I think its pretty good.

Let me know if you have any more questions or just pm me
amazing thank you !! I handed in my application yesterday and I picked biology!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads